Old April 12th 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Default Bamboo as antenna parts and supports

On 4/11/2010 12:32 PM, Richard Clark wrote:
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:16:25 -0700,
wrote:

Jimmie
Bamboo is a good resource. On the other end of the scale I recall that
Post made a good Slide Rule in the 1950's from Bamboo. I still prefer
my Dietzgen though.

Another Dietzgen head? Probably drink chardonnay alsosnort Post is the
only way to go
heh heh
--Wayne

K&E, then later a 5" circular Pickett for use at the bench.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

I compromised with one of each (K&E and Post) and an HP-45.

tom
K0TAR

Old April 12th 10, 03:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:32:50 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:

K&E, then later a 5" circular Pickett for use at the bench.
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Agreed. K&E was the best. Part of my collection:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/slide-rule/slides/slide-rule.html
The yellow slide rule is an aluminum Pickett and Echel "Synchro
Scale". The lower K&E is mahogany laminate.

I never really liked the bamboo or mahogany slide rules. I don't
recall the problem, but when I eventually tried an all plastic K&E, I
declared it the winner. I also couldn't get use to the circular
variety, mostly because it didn't fit in my pocket.

http://www.sliderule.ca

I've never built a quad antenna, but my uninformed and never humble
opinion is that fiberglass rod or tubing looks like the best:
http://www.mgs4u.com/fiberglass-cubical-quad-spreaders.htm
http://www.mgs4u.com/fiberglass-tube-rod.htm
However, if the bamboo is free, then it's a very suitable 2nd best.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old April 13th 10, 06:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I never really liked the bamboo or mahogany slide rules.

I heard they worked really well for log functions.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old April 14th 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:44:28 -0400, Michael Coslo
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I never really liked the bamboo or mahogany slide rules.

I heard they worked really well for log functions.

Yes, and if you plant them in the ground, they grow square roots.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS