Old August 13th 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Default FORTRAN/ Intellectual Property was vemsa3d 1.1 - a flossvisual em simulator for 3d antennas

On 8/13/2010 12:17 PM, Richard Clark wrote:
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 09:51:49 -0700, John Smith
wrote:

On 8/12/2010 10:20 PM, Richard Clark wrote:
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 19:06:21 -0700, John Smith
wrote:

My daughter just got her doctorate from Columbia University.

Frankly, I find that amazing, indeed, it implies insanity to me.

And our friend Mr. Ostrom, the computer scientist, got his AS degree
in Chico something more than a dozen years ago. There's authority on
the topic speaking for ya'.

Oh no, another know-it-all that knows nothing. ROFLOL

A confirmation. ;-)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

It says a lot about ability and self esteem when someone has an email
address like his and says the things he does. My guess is that I have
made a lot more money programming than he ever will. And in a lot more
languages. And a lot fewer bugs.

tom
K0TAR

Old August 14th 10, 12:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

* wrote:

My daughter just got her doctorate from Columbia University.

Frankly, I find that amazing, indeed, it implies insanity to me.

And our friend Mr. Ostrom, the computer scientist, got his AS degree
in Chico something more than a dozen years ago. *There's authority on
the topic speaking for ya'.

Oh no, another know-it-all that knows nothing. *ROFLOL

A confirmation. *;-)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

It says a lot about ability and self esteem when someone has an email
address like his and says the things he does. *My guess is that I have
made a lot more money programming than he ever will. *And in a lot more
languages. *And a lot fewer bugs.

tom
K0TAR

amen on that... lets see, 42 years programming now, 26 getting paid
just for that, languages??? pdp8 assy, focal, fortran(several
versions), basic(several variants), pascal, x86 assy, vb, ada, c, c++,
c#, vb.net, asp.net, various jcl variations, ibm360 assy, 68xxx assy,
objective c, pl-1, apl, java, javascript, vrml, html, xaml, xml,
matlab, mathcad, and probably a few others i have forgotten.
Old August 14th 10, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

wrote:

[...]

PDP8 assy? 12 bit machine wasn't it? (didn't look it up, not cheating)

I rebuilt one after someone plugged the TTY card into the bus. You may
remember that none of the cards were keyed. Loop current voltage hits
the bus, oops. Lots of RTL and DTL to replace.

tom
K0TAR
Old August 14th 10, 01:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

wrote:

[...]

Favorite assy was 6809. Did a lot on the Ericsson MD110 while writing
patches.

tom
K0TAR
Old August 14th 10, 02:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

* * wrote:

[...]

yeah, pdp8 was 12 bit, everything in octal instead of hex. i did a
lot of 6809 stuff on a ratshack coco machine, amazing what you could
make that box do once you got inside it. had one doing fax, rtty, 4
channel music synthesizer, and running a dialup bulletin board even
before aol started sending out floppies. and i built an 8080 based
desktop computer from scratch in 1977, all of 2k of ram and a hex
keypad to load the programs from manually or from cassette tapes!

Old August 14th 10, 02:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 8/13/2010 8:07 PM, K1TTT wrote:

Favorite assy was 6809. Did a lot on the Ericsson MD110 while writing
patches.

tom
K0TAR

yeah, pdp8 was 12 bit, everything in octal instead of hex. i did a
lot of 6809 stuff on a ratshack coco machine, amazing what you could
make that box do once you got inside it. had one doing fax, rtty, 4
channel music synthesizer, and running a dialup bulletin board even
before aol started sending out floppies. and i built an 8080 based
desktop computer from scratch in 1977, all of 2k of ram and a hex
keypad to load the programs from manually or from cassette tapes!

I ran OS/9 on my CoCo. I had dual 5 1/4 inch drives, woohoo! Also got
a couple things published in Hot CoCo if you remember that mag.

OS/9 was great. Developed by Motorola as a micro based Unix type O/S.
I heard it was parallel developed with the 6809 chip with feedback
between the 2 teams. It was very fast and very small. Kicked the IBM
PC's butt with one fifth the clock speed. As you may know, the 6809 was
about as much 16 bit as it was 8, which was probably part of the reason why.

And I still have all of the bits. Haven't fired them up in maybe 15
years. I wonder if the disks will still read.

tom
K0TAR
Old August 14th 10, 02:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Aug 14, 1:20*am, tom wrote:
[...]

oh yes, i remember hot coco... at one point i had 4 floppies and extra
ram extension on my coco. that was when i was using it as a bbs.
finally turned it into a repeater controller in the mid 80's.
Old August 14th 10, 07:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 8/13/2010 4:47 PM, K1TTT wrote:
On Aug 13, 10:59 pm, wrote:

It says a lot about ability and self esteem when someone has an email
address like his and says the things he does. My guess is that I have
made a lot more money programming than he ever will. And in a lot more
languages. And a lot fewer bugs.

tom
K0TAR

amen on that... lets see, 42 years programming now, 26 getting paid
just for that, languages??? pdp8 assy, focal, fortran(several
versions), basic(several variants), pascal, x86 assy, vb, ada, c, c++,
c#, vb.net, asp.net, various jcl variations, ibm360 assy, 68xxx assy,
objective c, pl-1, apl, java, javascript, vrml, html, xaml, xml,
matlab, mathcad, and probably a few others i have forgotten.

Thanks, you saved me a lot of trouble. And, when addressing a room full
of engineers from such varied programming experiences, one would use
pseudocode, a "universal language." Indeed, a thesis would utilize the
same ...

Regards,
Mr. Ostrom
Old August 14th 10, 07:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Aug 14, 6:08*pm, John Smith wrote:
On 8/13/2010 4:47 PM, K1TTT wrote:

On Aug 13, 10:59 pm, *wrote:
*...
[...]

only if the thesis didn't care about the exact implementation, but did
depend on the algorithm. if the code were just a tool used to crunch
data, which is what it sounded like in that part of the discussion,
then the code itself may not even be part of the thesis, just the
results of crunching.
Old August 15th 10, 05:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 8/14/2010 11:26 AM, K1TTT wrote:

only if the thesis didn't care about the exact implementation, but did
depend on the algorithm. if the code were just a tool used to crunch
data, which is what it sounded like in that part of the discussion,
then the code itself may not even be part of the thesis, just the
results of crunching.

I gotta go, the "ring of idiots" grows ... you are new addition? I
don't remember you from years ago, like I do richard ... but makes no
difference ... anything code-able in a language is code-able in pseudo
.... indeed, things impossible to code in a real language are possible in
pseudo ... any software engineer can validate that ... ROFLOL

Regards,
JS