Old January 31st 11, 12:05 AM
Junior Member

Default SW antenna for Grundig Satellit 750?

I am considering this antenna for Grundig Satellit 750, link below.

http://universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3377.html

my first question is about the effectiveness of this antenna in a limited space on patio of about 15 feet by 15 feet, next to a 2-story building. I would raise the antenna center to about 10 feet and then run each of the 40-foot wings in zigzags on the sides. Later, I might move to a larger place and have full space for the antenna. I do not want to buy an antenna for limited space now if this antenna could be made as effective for the limited space as an antenna designed for smaller space.

the second question is about durability, is it solid construction to last for years?

the third question is about any extra hardware needed. My Grundig radio has a female BNC socket 50-ohm. This antenna comes with coax cable RG-8X and PL-259. This means I need an adapter from PL-259 to BNC. Will this adapter create any noise? Do I need any additional hardware to make it work better, like a preamp?
Old January 31st 11, 07:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 00:05:58 +0000, PapiBow
wrote:

I am considering this antenna for Grundig Satellit 750, link below.

http://universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3377.html

Looks like a decent antenna for your purposes.

my first question is about the effectiveness of this antenna in a
limited space on patio of about 15 feet by 15 feet, next to a 2-story
building. I would raise the antenna center to about 10 feet and then run
each of the 40-foot wings in zigzags on the sides.

This will work fine.

Later, I might move
to a larger place and have full space for the antenna. I do not want to
buy an antenna for limited space now if this antenna could be made as
effective for the limited space as an antenna designed for smaller
space.

If anything would improve your situation, it would be raising it
higher.

the second question is about durability, is it solid construction to
last for years?

Dunno. At the prices shown, they are within ballpark for the
complexity offered. Wire lasts a long time. You could certainly pay
more, much more, and obtain no better results on your radio, and for
no longer life in the air.

the third question is about any extra hardware needed. My Grundig radio
has a female BNC socket 50-ohm. This antenna comes with coax cable RG-8X
and PL-259. This means I need an adapter from PL-259 to BNC. Will this
adapter create any noise?

Not in the least.

Do I need any additional hardware to make it
work better, like a preamp?

Get a cheap antenna tuner. Look around for Ham radio antenna tuners
that do not have metering (you don't need, and couldn't use it
anyway). If you come across one that has metering, and is cheap
enough, buy it.

You can also build your own tuner if you are hobby inclined. It is
simple enough, requires few skills, tools (a soldering iron) and parts
(two multiposition switchs, make your own coil, find two variable
capacitors) in a box.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old January 31st 11, 08:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

--
PapiBow

I just can't see paying over $ 150 for a bunch of wire to use as a receiving antenna. Think I would just put up a center insulator and as much wire as I could in the space you have. Also do a search for a Windom antenna. You probably will get the same results for a lot less money.

Old January 31st 11, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:05:06 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

I just can't see paying over $ 150 for a bunch of wire to use as a receiving antenna.

On second glance at the page, I noticed my eye was drawn to the cost
of the downlead, not the antenna. Yes, $150 + another $30 - $40 is a
lot of money to spend, if you can "do it yourself." Most can do it
themselves - wanting to is another matter.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC