Old May 7th 11, 11:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Horizontal Loop for 2m SSB

Hi, All.

Brand new to the newsgroup, here, and even though I did the old "Find"
routine, I couldn't find what I need.

Does anyone know where I can get instructions (preferably cookbook, but if
they come with formulas, I can deal with that, too) for building a 2m SSB
horizontal loop? I live in an apartment, which is pretty much a Faraday
cage, but I get out pretty well from my balcony, at least to the east(ish)
of the building. I have a discone out there right now, clamped to the floor
stand of an old oscillating fan that it used to be attached to. :-) I have
a similar portion of a floor lamp that I want to mount the loop onto. I
need something that will cover at least the 180º that my discone can radiate
in, as well as it does. Since 2m SSB is typically horizontal, the discone
doesn't do too well. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

Old May 8th 11, 12:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 7 May 2011 18:15:33 -0400, "Tom Rutherford"
wrote:

Hi, All.

Brand new to the newsgroup, here, and even though I did the old "Find"
routine, I couldn't find what I need.

Does anyone know where I can get instructions (preferably cookbook, but if
they come with formulas, I can deal with that, too) for building a 2m SSB
horizontal loop? I live in an apartment, which is pretty much a Faraday
cage, but I get out pretty well from my balcony, at least to the east(ish)
of the building. I have a discone out there right now, clamped to the floor
stand of an old oscillating fan that it used to be attached to. :-) I have
a similar portion of a floor lamp that I want to mount the loop onto. I
need something that will cover at least the 180º that my discone can radiate
in, as well as it does. Since 2m SSB is typically horizontal, the discone
doesn't do too well. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

There is an antenna that Cushcraft used to make called a big wheel.
It had three full wave loops attached in parallel at the center.
I have 4 stacked big wheels which suppress vertical emission and
emphasize horizontal transmission. I have used this on 2M sideband
and FM. If you can get the instructions for a single big wheel from an
old ARRL antenna book, then I can give you some hints on phasing.
I expect that you will only be able to stack 2 on your balcony.
73,
Ed, N5EI
Old May 8th 11, 06:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Ed. I'll give it a look-see.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

Old May 9th 11, 03:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Consider the fact that as it is on a balcony, I assume there is a building
with
a balcony on the side, then you would do with a simple dipole as any
signal sent into the building is only wasted. I am not sure but it would
probably have a good off balcony signal pattern too -- better than most
other antenna arrangements I can think of/

It's cheap and quick and wouldn't take much effort to try.

Irv VE6BP

Old May 9th 11, 06:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Irv Finkleman" wrote in message
Consider the fact that as it is on a balcony, I assume there is a building
with
a balcony on the side, then you would do with a simple dipole as any
signal sent into the building is only wasted. I am not sure but it would
probably have a good off balcony signal pattern too -- better than most
other antenna arrangements I can think of/

It's cheap and quick and wouldn't take much effort to try.

Irv VE6BP

I might just go that direction, Irv, depending on how things look with other
designs. Thanks!

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

Old May 10th 11, 12:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Tom Rutherford
writes

"Irv Finkleman" wrote in message
Consider the fact that as it is on a balcony, I assume there is a building
with
a balcony on the side, then you would do with a simple dipole as any
signal sent into the building is only wasted. I am not sure but it would
probably have a good off balcony signal pattern too -- better than most
other antenna arrangements I can think of/

It's cheap and quick and wouldn't take much effort to try.

Irv VE6BP

Quite. There's not much point in striving to achieve omnidirectional
coverage if half the RF will be coming back into the building, and
getting lost.

However, in the interests of minimising interference (to and from the
electrical devices in the building), it might be advantageous to
minimise radiation/reception in that direction by using something at
least 'somewhat' directional - maybe a 2-element yagi, or an HB9CV?
http://www.mydarc.de/dk7zb/HB9CV/Details-HB9CV.htm
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...wa5UtoJ:www.wr
aith.sf.ca.us/electronics/radio/+hb9cv+antenna+144&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&sou
rce=www.google.com
and hundreds more.

--
Ian
Old May 12th 11, 09:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 7, 6:15*pm, "Tom Rutherford" wrote:
[...]

I would go with a 2M QUAD, Very easy to build cookbook style. on site
from scrounged materials. Ive used one from an apartment shooting
through a balcony door. PVC mast was made from a couple of scrap
pieces I got from the handy man. Pipe was selected so that one would
slide inside the other. Apply padding to ends to protect ceiling and
floor Think I wedged a piece of cardboard to lock the slip joint.
Inovate as required. The quad can be asily put together with out
benifit of test equipment and expected to function reasonably well
without additinal tweaking. However a knockdown Yagi can be buit ahed
of time and the elements stored inside the boom. Both are very handy.

Jimmie
Old May 13th 11, 04:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Jimmie. I was wondering about the quad, what kind of a pattern it
put out, etc. Gotta hit Google for some research.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

Horizontal loop as an inverted L Evan Antenna 1 September 19th 10 03:06 PM
Horizontal loop antenna Bruce W. Ellis Antenna 28 February 20th 08 06:34 PM
Size of horizontal loop? Hans Remeeus Antenna 10 July 31st 06 05:14 PM
Horizontal HF Loop Newman Antenna 7 July 29th 06 08:41 PM
80 Meter Horizontal Loop GeorgeF Antenna 109 June 16th 05 04:59 PM