Old June 4th 11, 09:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.video.satellite.dbs,rec.video.satellite.tvro,alt.dss.hack,alt.dbs.echostar.hack

Default balcony railing mount for DBS dish

Not only that, If he uses NO nails or drills NO holes for screws
he is not adding to the structure perminantly witch is a no no
[common sense]. I would use a series of clamps, and not leave it
up in bad weather or when I am away , seems as though temporary
would be a better aproach. I'm having alot of luck using mine
indoors LoL.

If your landlord wants to be difficult, he can
prohibit the railing mounts - legally (assuming you're
in the U.S.). The railing is not considered part of
the unit or the Exclusive Use area. It is part of the
exterior of the building. Even condo CC&Rs that I
have seen explicitly state that balcony railings are
NOT part of the unit owned or rented. Furthermore, he
can prevent it by safety considerations by claiming
that it presents a hazard of falling off onto people
below. Since approval of a railing mount may pose a
liability risk for the building owner, he may bring up
the heavy legal artillery against you. If I were
in your position, I'd make a cheap tripod and mount
the feet in cement blocks (just pour quickset cement
into a plastic bucket) on the balcony, and then mount
the dish to the tripod.

*TimDaniels*

Old June 4th 11, 12:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 4, 8:33*am, moronsbegone wrote:
[...]

did you happen to notice that the original thread was over in oct
2004??
Old June 4th 11, 05:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.video.satellite.dbs

Merely *attaching* something to the non-Exclusive Use common
area of a condo property can be prohibited by the homeowners
association. It is like someone tying something to your car - he can
claim that it isn't a *permanent* attachment, but you'd be legally
correct in requiring its removal. The surface of a patio, on the other
hand, is *meant* to have things set on it, and so setting a tripod to
hold a dish cannot be prohibited on other than safety considerations
(and perhaps also on historical site considerations).

*TimDaniels*

Old June 6th 11, 06:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
moronsbegone wrote:

Not only that, If he uses NO nails or drills NO holes for screws
he is not adding to the structure perminantly witch is a no no
[common sense]. I would use a series of clamps, and not leave it
up in bad weather or when I am away , seems as though temporary
would be a better aproach. I'm having alot of luck using mine
indoors LoL.

Or do what I do. Mount it on a tripod and aim it so you can shove two
legs again the rail and hold it place with a bungee chord. That makes
it a breeze to take in and put up.
Old June 6th 11, 07:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 6/6/2011 10:27 AM, Robert Peirce wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Not only that, If he uses NO nails or drills NO holes for screws
he is not adding to the structure perminantly witch is a no no
[common sense]. I would use a series of clamps, and not leave it
up in bad weather or when I am away , seems as though temporary
would be a better aproach. I'm having alot of luck using mine
indoors LoL.

Or do what I do. Mount it on a tripod and aim it so you can shove two
legs again the rail and hold it place with a bungee chord. That makes
it a breeze to take in and put up.

You could make a sort of customized fixture, too, that "mates" with the
railing, so that you just sort of click it into position, and it's
automatically aligned properly. A piece of wood with notches that align
with the vertical rails, for instance. If you want something more
weatherproof than wood, a polyethylene cutting board makes a great
material to work with. Easy to cut, indestructible, etc.

Velcro is also your friend. A strap with velcro to snug it up against
the rail would work pretty well. Much faster than some sort of clamp
scheme, typically, and less likely to arouse the ire of a landlord who
doesn't want clamp marks. (any sort of screw clamp is inevitably going
to loosen, or be over tightened, etc.)

Old June 7th 11, 12:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

Not only that, If he uses NO nails or drills NO holes for screws
he is not adding to the structure perminantly witch is a no no
[common sense]. I would use a series of clamps, and not leave it
up in bad weather or when I am away , seems as though temporary
would be a better aproach. I'm having alot of luck using mine
indoors LoL.

Or do what I do. Mount it on a tripod and aim it so you can shove two
legs again the rail and hold it place with a bungee chord. That makes
it a breeze to take in and put up.

Mount it atop a refrigerator unit, on the porch, use the refrige to keep
your beer in -- no one could ask you to remove that from the porch!

--

Regards,
JS