Old September 8th 11, 07:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default MFJ-868 SWR/Wattmeter

In article ,
Jim Lux wrote:

Anyone who has never accidentally cooked a piece of test equipment just
hasn't been working long enough.

"Experience is directly proportional to equipment destroyed."

I think I blew up my first piece of test gear at the age of 14 or
so... tried to measure line voltage, with the VOM control still set on
"ohms". POP!

Fortunately it was just one resistor... I eventually replaced it, and
I still have that old 1000 ohm/volt VOM (a 1965-vintage Lafayette)
sitting in a drawer somewhere.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old September 8th 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave Platt wrote:

I think I blew up my first piece of test gear at the age of 14 or
so... tried to measure line voltage, with the VOM control still set on
"ohms". POP!

Fortunately it was just one resistor... I eventually replaced it, and
I still have that old 1000 ohm/volt VOM (a 1965-vintage Lafayette)
sitting in a drawer somewhere.

Were you involved with THE pinball machine?

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.
Old September 8th 11, 07:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 9/8/2011 1:17 PM, Dave Platt wrote:
In ,
Jim wrote:

Anyone who has never accidentally cooked a piece of test equipment just
hasn't been working long enough.

"Experience is directly proportional to equipment destroyed."

I think I blew up my first piece of test gear at the age of 14 or
so... tried to measure line voltage, with the VOM control still set on
"ohms". POP!

Fortunately it was just one resistor... I eventually replaced it, and
I still have that old 1000 ohm/volt VOM (a 1965-vintage Lafayette)
sitting in a drawer somewhere.

So, you only did it *once* in all this time? Every few years I do the
same thing, except the fuse catches my error.

John KD5YI

Old September 8th 11, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article , John S wrote:

I think I blew up my first piece of test gear at the age of 14 or
so... tried to measure line voltage, with the VOM control still set on
"ohms". POP!

Fortunately it was just one resistor... I eventually replaced it, and
I still have that old 1000 ohm/volt VOM (a 1965-vintage Lafayette)
sitting in a drawer somewhere.

So, you only did it *once* in all this time? Every few years I do the
same thing, except the fuse catches my error.

Oh, no, by no means - that was just my *first* time.

As in your case, the fuses tend to save most of my VOM/DVM foulups
these days. Reminds me, I've gotta go grab some 250 mA mini-fuses to
fix one of my meters and restock my oops box.

To paraphrase Foghorn Leghorn, "Fortunately, I always keep a spare set of
feathers in my locker, for just such an occasion."

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old September 11th 11, 11:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/home/slides/BL-shop6.html

That maroon-colored thing in the lower right corner? I'm guessing part of
chair, an incredibly useful piece of furniture for stacking things that
don't belong on the floor. :-)

Old September 12th 11, 12:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 15:50:08 -0700, "Sal" wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
.. .
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/home/slides/BL-shop6.html

That maroon-colored thing in the lower right corner? I'm guessing part of
chair, an incredibly useful piece of furniture for stacking things that
don't belong on the floor. :-)

No chair... standing room only. It's part of a furniture dolly that I
use to move the two MSF5000 repeaters around the shop.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-movers-dolly-38970.html
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/K6BJ-MSF5000/backup-repeater.jpg
It's leaning against one side of the backup repeater. The shop also
is used for small engine repair, chemistry experiments, general
fabrication, bicycle repair, and radio repair. Bench work came to a
standstill for 2 weeks while I was waiting for chain saw parts.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

MFJ-868 SWR/Wattmeter Geoffrey S. Mendelson Antenna 0 September 1st 11 07:09 AM
MFJ-868 SWR/Wattmeter Geoffrey S. Mendelson Antenna 0 September 1st 11 07:09 AM
Wattmeter help JIMMIE Antenna 2 December 24th 07 09:29 AM
WTB: LDG DWM-4 wattmeter Michael White Swap 0 August 23rd 03 02:38 PM
FS: HF/VHF/UHF wattmeter, URM-120 Mike Swap 0 July 9th 03 05:03 AM