Old October 4th 11, 01:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default back and front MALWARE girl

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 00:08:41 -0700, AJL wrote:

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 21:44:52 -0500, tom wrote:

On 9/29/2011 1:20 PM, dave wrote:

I just use Ubuntu and don't worry about it.

I need Win and X windows both.

In Windows I use Firefox with the QuickJava extension. It puts on/off
buttons at the bottom of the browser window that make turning on and off
browser functions (flash, java, javascript, ect) quick and easy. When
exploring I only leave text and images active. If I find a site I want
to chance that needs flash or script I just turn it on and refresh. It's
not foolproof of course but a different approach. And if I'm just
reading text sites (newspaper, forums ect) I leave everything off but
text and images and most of the flashy moving annoying ads which I hate
are disabled which also improves the page loading time a bunch.

That sounds like a lot of work. I try not to take the wed too seriously.
Like everything, it's 95% BS.
Old October 5th 11, 12:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default [OT] back and front MALWARE girl

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 18:52:17 -0500, tom wrote:
On 10/2/2011 2:08 AM, AJL wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 21:44:52 -0500, wrote:
On 9/29/2011 1:20 PM, dave wrote:

I just use Ubuntu and don't worry about it.

I need Win and X windows both.

In Windows I use Firefox with the QuickJava extension. It puts on/off

::yaa-daa yaa-daa yaa-daa snipped

Nice. But that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.
Windows is, well, Windows. And X windows is Unix.

Neither have anything to do with browsing per se.

And ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Old October 5th 11, 12:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 9/29/2011 1:20 PM, dave wrote:

I just use Ubuntu and don't worry about it.

I need Win and X windows both.

In Windows I use Firefox with the QuickJava extension. It puts on/off

::yaa-daa yaa-daa yaa-daa snipped

Nice. But that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.
Windows is, well, Windows. And X windows is Unix.

Neither have anything to do with browsing per se.

And ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Then delete or plonk.

tom
K0TAR
Old October 5th 11, 01:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 23:02:58 +0000, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

And ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Absolutely?
Old October 5th 11, 01:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Allodoxaphobia" wrote in message
g.com...

And ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Not yours to decide.

Old October 5th 11, 12:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 11:17:56 -0500, dave wrote:

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 23:49:22 -0700, AJL wrote:

The current version allows you to easily revert to the old desktop if
you want. I did. But IMO there is not that much overall OS improvement
to do the upgrade unless you just want to try it which is why I did.

11.04 did. 11.10 does not. I'm sticking with 10.04 LTS. The new desktop
is for morons. They are obviously trying to appeal to tablet-brains.

The Unity desktop is usable, but not for me. I don't think it was
designed for tablets. Methinks it was an attempt to use the "extra"
screen space afforded by 16:9 displays. In effect, it leaves the menu
on the left side of the screen most of the time. I switched back to
the older Gnome 2 desktop on 10.04 and am living happily without
Unity.
http://www.geekgumbo.com/2011/05/04/switching-the-unity-desktop-to-the-gnome-desktop/

On Fedora 15, the new and improved Gnome 3 is in my never humble
opinion a step backwards. The designers apparently decided that
configuration options should now be either well hidden, or
intentionally misplaced in non-obvious places. Some of the logic is
amazing. For example, requiring a logout before a restart. Is there
a problem with killing user processes that justifies this?

Meanwhile, KDE 4.6 seems quite good (I haven't used it much) but
really gobbles RAM. I also tried Mac4Lin with 10.04 and had problems.
Oh well.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 5th 11, 01:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

http://www.geekgumbo.com/2011/05/04/...esktop-to-the-

gnome-desktop/

On Fedora 15, the new and improved Gnome 3 is in my never humble opinion
a step backwards. The designers apparently decided that configuration
options should now be either well hidden, or intentionally misplaced in
non-obvious places. Some of the logic is amazing. For example,
requiring a logout before a restart. Is there a problem with killing
user processes that justifies this?

Meanwhile, KDE 4.6 seems quite good (I haven't used it much) but really
gobbles RAM. I also tried Mac4Lin with 10.04 and had problems. Oh well.

At least we're not spending $160 for the privilege of BSODs! I like Puppy
Linux, which I believe is GTK on top of Ubuntu. Not pretty but incredibly
responsive. Will run on anything from first gen Pentium.
Old October 5th 11, 05:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 07:35:02 -0500, dave wrote:

At least we're not spending $160 for the privilege of BSODs! I like Puppy
Linux, which I believe is GTK on top of Ubuntu. Not pretty but incredibly
responsive. Will run on anything from first gen Pentium.

I haven't seen many BSOD's on Windoze boxes in maybe 10 years. The
only time I see them is when I'm playing with drivers or when I'm
trying to untrash the filesystem. I look at it differently. $160 is
a bit over 2 hours of my billable labor rate. If Windoze saves me 2
hours of time, I break even.

I think the desktop manager in Puppy Linux is JWM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JWM
apparently on top of Ubuntu.

I like AntiX for small footprint machines.
http://antix.mepis.org
PII with 128MB is about the minimum usable config although it will
allegedly run on older CPU's with 64MB.

Features and functions get added faster than bugs get fixed. The end
result is a bloated and buggy machine, full of useless features, that
runs at the speed of a snail. This applies to Linux distro as well as
Windoze and OS/X. "Bigger, Better, Faster.... pick any two".

Old October 5th 11, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 09:59:44 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

[...]

You can run J Window Manager or GTK at the click of the mouse and a
restart of X Windows. If someone wants me to do Windows things they have
to give me a Windows box to do them on. I have an Atom netbook with XP I
use to feed my iPod. None of my ham radio stuff requires Windows. None of
my audio production requires Windows.

I use "BSODs" generically for any unrecoverable error that the 3 Finger
Mickey (or "Kill") won't fix.
Old October 6th 11, 03:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 12:08:26 -0500, dave wrote:

I use "BSODs" generically for any unrecoverable error that the 3 Finger
Mickey (or "Kill") won't fix.

Well, since you haven't been using Windoze much, you probably haven't
had much experience with its stability. In my day job, I fix
computahs, mostly running various Windoze mutations. I get very few
unrecoverable errors, hung processes, comatose peripherals, or general
weirdness, if the machine is in fairly good shape. No points for
static electricity fried RAM, overheating CPU's (AMD early Athelon),
buggy apps that won't die (Acrobat Reader 10.x and Skype), overly
aggressive backup programs (Memeo), or various sync programs that
fumble over their own semaphores (iTunes, MS ActiveSync). If I try
hard, I can hang a Windoze box running any of the aforementioned. If
I run alternatives, or run them in a VM sandbox, no problem. If
uptime is your standard for reliability, then I can offer several
weather stations running Windoze 2000 that typically stay up for
months. For my personal assortment of machines, I only reboot after
an update, or after a sufficiently large number of config changes to
make sure I still have a working system. When a customer drags in a
system that is acting "erratic" and tends to hang, it's usually either
malware or the all too common bulging capacitor problem. Cleaning up
the malware and replacing the bulging caps usually stabilizes the
system. Incidentally, I only reinstall windoze from scratch if the
malware has made such a mess that it would take me longer to fix than
to reinstall.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#