Old September 29th 11, 07:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default back and front MALWARE girl

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 19:55:48 -0500, tom wrote:

At home - 2 independent firewalls, dual different antivirus, dual
different anti-malware, plus a lot more and I still don't feel all that
safe. But one of my work hats is to be professionally paranoid. I just
wish work was as tight as home.

tom
K0TAR

I just use Ubuntu and don't worry about it.
Old September 30th 11, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 9/29/2011 1:20 PM, dave wrote:
On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 19:55:48 -0500, tom wrote:

At home - 2 independent firewalls, dual different antivirus, dual
different anti-malware, plus a lot more and I still don't feel all that
safe. But one of my work hats is to be professionally paranoid. I just
wish work was as tight as home.

tom
K0TAR

I just use Ubuntu and don't worry about it.

I need Win and X windows both. Some things are not easily portable.
Even when running CrossOver. Which is an incredible piece of work for
Office and lots of other stuff, the old antenna programs don't work
well, if at all. As well as the new ones.

Disclaimer - I have not tried ELNEC yet.

On to an OS low key rant.

I have machines from OS9, a unix style OS for microcomputers (the real
one from Motorola for 68xx and 68xxx CPUs, not Apple) through Win98,
2000, XP Home/Pro, and some versions of Win7.

And some flavors of linux that most people don't play with because they
require knowledge of the underbelly.

tom
K0TAR
Old September 30th 11, 07:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"tom" wrote in message
. net...
On 9/29/2011 1:20 PM, dave wrote:
[...]

I have Linux on an old machine (P3, 1 GHz, 256M RAM) that really doesn't do
it justice. I was impressed that it recognized almost every USB device I
plugged in, new or old. I really should get a newer machine and load it up
with Ubuntu.

Sal

Old October 1st 11, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 9/30/2011 1:17 AM, Sal wrote:
wrote in message

I have Linux on an old machine (P3, 1 GHz, 256M RAM) that really doesn't do
it justice. I was impressed that it recognized almost every USB device I
plugged in, new or old. I really should get a newer machine and load it up
with Ubuntu.

Sal

As someone who is a linux bigot (within the linux world, not talking
about other OSs) I finally had to admit that Ubuntu was ok.

But the current release is not.

I would advise you stick to the 10.04LTS (long term support) release.
Ubuntu 11.xx threw out the GNOME desktop and replaced it with rubbish.
I know no one that likes the new desktop that has used the old.

We can only hope that by the time 10.04 is deprecated that GNOME will be
back.

tom
K0TAR

Old October 1st 11, 04:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"tom" wrote in message
. net...

As someone who is a linux bigot (within the linux world, not talking about
other OSs) I finally had to admit that Ubuntu was ok.

But the current release is not.

I would advise you stick to the 10.04LTS (long term support) release.
Ubuntu 11.xx threw out the GNOME desktop and replaced it with rubbish. I
know no one that likes the new desktop that has used the old.

We can only hope that by the time 10.04 is deprecated that GNOME will be
back.

I have 10.04. Having only half the recommended RAM (per stated system
requirements) means I'm flogging the hard drive.

"Sal"

Old October 2nd 11, 07:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 18:21:44 -0500, tom wrote:

I would advise you stick to the 10.04LTS (long term support) release.
Ubuntu 11.xx threw out the GNOME desktop and replaced it with rubbish.
I know no one that likes the new desktop that has used the old.

We can only hope that by the time 10.04 is deprecated that GNOME will be
back.

tom
K0TAR

The current version allows you to easily revert to the old desktop if
you want. I did. But IMO there is not that much overall OS improvement
to do the upgrade unless you just want to try it which is why I did.
Old October 2nd 11, 08:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 21:44:52 -0500, tom wrote:

On 9/29/2011 1:20 PM, dave wrote:

I just use Ubuntu and don't worry about it.

I need Win and X windows both.

In Windows I use Firefox with the QuickJava extension. It puts on/off
buttons at the bottom of the browser window that make turning on and
off browser functions (flash, java, javascript, ect) quick and easy.
When exploring I only leave text and images active. If I find a site I
want to chance that needs flash or script I just turn it on and
refresh. It's not foolproof of course but a different approach. And if
I'm just reading text sites (newspaper, forums ect) I leave everything
off but text and images and most of the flashy moving annoying ads
which I hate are disabled which also improves the page loading time a
bunch.
Old October 2nd 11, 05:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 23:49:22 -0700, AJL wrote:

The current version allows you to easily revert to the old desktop if
you want. I did. But IMO there is not that much overall OS improvement
to do the upgrade unless you just want to try it which is why I did.

11.04 did. 11.10 does not. I'm sticking with 10.04 LTS. The new desktop
is for morons. They are obviously trying to appeal to tablet-brains.
Old October 2nd 11, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 11:17:56 -0500, dave wrote:

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 23:49:22 -0700, AJL wrote:

The current version allows you to easily revert to the old desktop if
you want. I did. But IMO there is not that much overall OS improvement
to do the upgrade unless you just want to try it which is why I did.

11.04 did. 11.10 does not. I'm sticking with 10.04 LTS. The new desktop
is for morons. They are obviously trying to appeal to tablet-brains.

Ah, I didn't realize 11.10 was out. My 11.04 is busted in that it
won't update so perhaps I'll take your advice and go with 10.04. Yes I
really tried hard to like that new desktop but just couldn't hack it
(pun intended) in the end...
Old October 4th 11, 12:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 10/2/2011 2:08 AM, AJL wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 21:44:52 -0500, wrote:

On 9/29/2011 1:20 PM, dave wrote:

I just use Ubuntu and don't worry about it.

I need Win and X windows both.

In Windows I use Firefox with the QuickJava extension. It puts on/off
buttons at the bottom of the browser window that make turning on and
off browser functions (flash, java, javascript, ect) quick and easy.
When exploring I only leave text and images active. If I find a site I
want to chance that needs flash or script I just turn it on and
refresh. It's not foolproof of course but a different approach. And if
I'm just reading text sites (newspaper, forums ect) I leave everything
off but text and images and most of the flashy moving annoying ads
which I hate are disabled which also improves the page loading time a
bunch.

Nice. But that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.
Windows is, well, Windows. And X windows is Unix.

Neither have anything to do with browsing per se.

tom
K0TAR