Old May 18th 04, 03:01 AM
Yuri Blanarovich

Default W8JI "shines" at Hamvention

I was "privileged" to be a witness to more "wisdom" from the antenna "guru"
W8JI at the Dayton Hamvention Antenna forum.
Based on his "unshakable" knowledge that current in the antenna loading coil is
constant, he proclaimed that it doesn't matter where the loading coil in the
antenna is, on the bottom, middle or close to the top.

Yuri

Old May 18th 04, 04:12 AM
*

Does make a big difference, no current at the top!
The wire ends there, so current must stop.
Most current typically near the bottom, and feed, but can be higher up
depending upon bands.
Perhaps he is addressing the degenerate cases of antenna very long, and
antenna too short?

Old May 18th 04, 07:47 PM
Cecil Moore

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
Based on his "unshakable" knowledge that current in the antenna loading coil is
constant, ...

Strange, every measured experiment he himself conducted on real-world
air-core coils proved that the current at each end of the coil is NOT
constant.

Did he say if one puts the loading coil at the top of the antenna,
with no stinger, currents at the top of the coil and bottom of the
coil are equal?

When will otherwise rational engineers stop trying to use circuit
model math on distributed network problems? The current in a standing-
wave antenna wire is NOT constant, varies inch by inch, and that's a
*straight* piece of wire. So if we use more wire coiled up, the current
then becomes constant magnitude/phase and instantaneous? (faster than
light?) To speed up computer buses all we have to do is install coils
in series?

Did you notice W8JI changed his web page? The once outrageous statements
have been considerably modified.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 18th 04, 09:09 PM
Jim Kelley

Cecil Moore wrote:
The current in a standing-
wave antenna wire is NOT constant, varies inch by inch, and that's a
*straight* piece of wire.

Or more precisely, the amplitude of the mathematical superposition of
forward and reverse traveling wave currents in a half-wave dipole
antenna varies inch by inch.
It is the EM fields produced by the traveling wave currents that in fact
superpose. That superposition results in a net field which is identical
to the field which would be produced if a 'standing wave current' could
in fact radiate.

Did you notice W8JI changed his web page? The once outrageous statements
have been considerably modified.

I've noticed fewer of them on your web page as well, Cecil. Perhaps the
world is coming to equilibrium. :-)

73, Jim AC6XG

Old May 18th 04, 09:39 PM
Mike Coslo

Cecil Moore wrote:
Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

Based on his "unshakable" knowledge that current in the antenna
constant, ...

Strange, every measured experiment he himself conducted on real-world
air-core coils proved that the current at each end of the coil is NOT
constant.

Did he say if one puts the loading coil at the top of the antenna,
with no stinger, currents at the top of the coil and bottom of the
coil are equal?

When will otherwise rational engineers stop trying to use circuit
model math on distributed network problems? The current in a standing-
wave antenna wire is NOT constant, varies inch by inch, and that's a
*straight* piece of wire. So if we use more wire coiled up, the current
then becomes constant magnitude/phase and instantaneous?

I'm worried - even I understand that!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 18th 04, 10:16 PM
Cecil Moore

Jim Kelley wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
The current in a standing-
wave antenna wire is NOT constant, varies inch by inch, and that's a
*straight* piece of wire.

Or more precisely, the amplitude of the mathematical superposition of
forward and reverse traveling wave currents in a half-wave dipole
antenna varies inch by inch.
It is the EM fields produced by the traveling wave currents that in fact
superpose.

Of course, I was referring to *net* current which is a superposition
of forward and reflected currents, or H-fields if you prefer. The bottom
line is that if magnitude and phase vary inch by inch in a straight piece
of wire used in a standing-wave antenna, are we to believe that the variation
can be reduced by adding more wire, just in a spiral?

Did you notice W8JI changed his web page? The once outrageous statements
have been considerably modified.

I've noticed fewer of them on your web page as well, Cecil. Perhaps the
world is coming to equilibrium. :-)

My web page problem is the definition of the reflection coefficient.
RHO and S11 have different definitions. Stand by for an explanation that
even you can understand. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 18th 04, 10:35 PM
Jim Kelley

Cecil Moore wrote:
Of course, I was referring to *net* current which is a superposition
of forward and reflected currents, or H-fields if you prefer.

And with H you get E to boot!

My web page problem is the definition of the reflection coefficient.

Great. I'm interested to read it.

RHO and S11 have different definitions.

Do you remember when you and I talked about that?

Stand by for an explanation that
even you can understand. :-)

That's the best kind! :-)

73, Jim AC6XG
Old May 19th 04, 02:07 AM
Yuri Blanarovich

Did he say if one puts the loading coil at the top of the antenna,
with no stinger, currents at the top of the coil and bottom of the
coil are equal?

Not specifically.

When will otherwise rational engineers stop trying to use circuit
model math on distributed network problems? The current in a standing-
wave antenna wire is NOT constant, varies inch by inch, and that's a
*straight* piece of wire. So if we use more wire coiled up, the current
then becomes constant magnitude/phase and instantaneous? (faster than
light?) To speed up computer buses all we have to do is install coils
in series?

When they can read their diplomas, maybe? :-)

Did you notice W8JI changed his web page? The once outrageous statements
have been considerably modified.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

No, but I will have a look. I have saved the "before" pages, so it will be
interesting to compare. This would be typical of him. First ho goes quiet for a
while, then he changes his beliefs, then he emerges as a guru, teaching the
stupid about the virtues of his "inventions" (stolen, plagiarized from others.)

When I brought this to attention of K3LR, antenna forum moderator, he countered
with "he wins contests and works DX"
and N6BV: "he is right". So I was grounded and dummyfounded :-)

Now that snow melted and I got my Radiomobile's brake lines fixed, I should do
the experiments and get some real data and do that article. Just that I got
sucked to another project, designing "Dream Radio" that I am more excited,
especially after seeing pieces of (radio) furniture by the JA biggies.

I am sorry I missed W7EL booth, would have loved to say HI in person. Just
gotta order the upgrade to EZNEC, I can use the new insulated wire modeling
feature.

73 Yuri, www.K3BU.us
www.computeradio.us home of Dream Radio One