Old July 2nd 12, 03:54 PM
Junior Member

Default Dipole-2 different wire sizes?

I have a dipole with 134 feet of 20 gauge insulated copper wire. What would happen if I wanted to replace one leg (67 feet) with 18 gauge copper clad insulated steel wire but chose to keep the other leg with the 20 gauge wire?
Tks,
Joel
Old July 2nd 12, 06:09 PM
Junior Member

Location: Apopka FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel365 View Post
I have a dipole with 134 feet of 20 gauge insulated copper wire. What would happen if I wanted to replace one leg (67 feet) with 18 gauge copper clad insulated steel wire but chose to keep the other leg with the 20 gauge wire?
Tks,
Joel
May stay up longer, not much better performance, and have a slight different tuning.
Old July 2nd 12, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Joel365" wrote in message

I have a dipole with 134 feet of 20 gauge insulated copper wire. What
would happen if I wanted to replace one leg (67 feet) with 18 gauge
copper clad insulated steel wire but chose to keep the other leg with
the 20 gauge wire?
Tks,
Joel

You probably would not notice anything on 80 meters. It is possiable that
the wire not being insulated and a differant size will cause a slight shift
in the resonate frequency, but I doubt that you will notice it.
It is sort of like having a truck load of bricks. If you add one more
brick, there is an effect, just too slight to make any differance. Unless
someone told you the brick was added, you would not notice it.

Old July 2nd 12, 08:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Joel365" wrote in message

I have a dipole with 134 feet of 20 gauge insulated copper wire. What
would happen if I wanted to replace one leg (67 feet) with 18 gauge
copper clad insulated steel wire but chose to keep the other leg with
the 20 gauge wire?

Hi
Interesting question.
As the others I don't think anything useful will happen.
In such cases it is convenient to put the things to their limits.
Imagine the diameter of one half is infinite.
You now have a quarter wave over a ground plane.A well known case.
Impedance is halved .
Resonnance is only dependant of the remaining wire and unchanged.
Your result should be somewhere between no change and that.
Another similar question :
Instead of burying lots of radials at the base of a vertical
what about digging (or using) a well and having a quarter wave of wire
dropped into it ?

Old July 3rd 12, 09:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"bilou" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci

Imagine the diameter of one half is infinite.
You now have a quarter wave over a ground plane.A well known case.
Impedance is halved .
Resonnance is only dependant of the remaining wire and unchanged.
Your result should be somewhere between no change and that.
Another similar question :
Instead of burying lots of radials at the base of a vertical
what about digging (or using) a well and having a quarter wave of wire
dropped into it ?

A real well in soil will be the perfect infinite source of electrons.
The well in a dry rock will be most wrong.

The well in the dry rock is used in ULF. But the electrons are pumped from
the wet area.
S*

Old July 3rd 12, 10:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Szczepan Bialek wrote:
A real well in soil will be the perfect infinite source of electrons.

A source of electrons is not required. Transmitters use AC (alternating
current) so there is no net flow of electrons.
Old July 3rd 12, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Rob" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
Szczepan Bialek wrote:
A real well in soil will be the perfect infinite source of electrons.

A source of electrons is not required. Transmitters use AC (alternating
current) so there is no net flow of electrons.

AC is in a transformer.
In an antenna is the oscillatory flow of electrons. So there is the net
flow of electrons.

"It is now known that this device operated by emitting electrons from the
single electrode through a combination of field electron emission and
thermionic emission.[citation needed] Once liberated, electrons are strongly
repelled by the high electric field near the electrode during negative
voltage peaks from the oscillating HV output of the Tesla Coil"

Do not you know that?
S*

Old July 3rd 12, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Szczepan Bialek wrote:

"Rob" napisa? w wiadomo?ci
Szczepan Bialek wrote:
A real well in soil will be the perfect infinite source of electrons.

A source of electrons is not required. Transmitters use AC (alternating
current) so there is no net flow of electrons.

AC is in a transformer.
In an antenna is the oscillatory flow of electrons. So there is the net
flow of electrons.

"It is now known that this device operated by emitting electrons from the
single electrode through a combination of field electron emission and
thermionic emission.[citation needed] Once liberated, electrons are strongly
repelled by the high electric field near the electrode during negative
voltage peaks from the oscillating HV output of the Tesla Coil"

Do not you know that?
S*

You post nothing but babbling, word salad, nonsense and you are an utter
idiot.

Do you not know that?

Old July 3rd 12, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Szczepan Bialek wrote:

"Rob" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
Szczepan Bialek wrote:
A real well in soil will be the perfect infinite source of electrons.

A source of electrons is not required. Transmitters use AC (alternating
current) so there is no net flow of electrons.

AC is in a transformer.
In an antenna is the oscillatory flow of electrons. So there is the net
flow of electrons.

"It is now known that this device operated by emitting electrons from the
single electrode through a combination of field electron emission and
thermionic emission.[citation needed] Once liberated, electrons are strongly
repelled by the high electric field near the electrode during negative
voltage peaks from the oscillating HV output of the Tesla Coil"

Do not you know that?
S*

If that were true, there would be a DC current into a transmitting antenna
fed only by HF (AC) current.
But of course there is no such DC current. If it were there, it would
mean there is nonlinearity in the antenna and there would be severe
intermodulation.
Old July 3rd 12, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Szczepan Bialek" wrote in message
.. .

AC is in a transformer.
In an antenna is the oscillatory flow of electrons. So there is the net
flow of electrons.

"It is now known that this device operated by emitting electrons from the
single electrode through a combination of field electron emission and
thermionic emission.[citation needed] Once liberated, electrons are
strongly repelled by the high electric field near the electrode during
negative voltage peaks from the oscillating HV output of the Tesla Coil"

Do not you know that?
S*

Szczepan seems to be muddling up valves and aerials. I guess there's no
point in trying to explain the difference between the two to him. Didn't he
make a similar posting a few months ago?

73, Ian.