Old June 26th 04, 04:07 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"Crazy George" wrote in message
Tam:

I've held my tongue for quite a while over your inappropriate and

unhelpful
answers, but you desperately need to learn to read the questions before
posing one of your answers. He clearly said 3 WIRE ROTATOR. The clickers
are 4 wire.

--
Crazy George

George,
I did not say you were wrong. Just asking if you knew for a fact, or were
guessing. It could be done with 3 wires.

Tam

Old June 26th 04, 04:33 PM
Ralph Mowery

I did not say you were wrong. Just asking if you knew for a fact, or were
guessing. It could be done with 3 wires.

I have not looked at a CM in about 15 years but the one then that had 3
wires did not have any feedback to give any indication the antenna was even
turning but relied on the two motors to turn at the same speed. The U-100
type rotators used a 4 th wire for the 'clicker'. The rotation on both
types were determined by which one of the two winding got the direct power
and which one was connected to the capacitor . It takes 3 wires to do that.

Old June 26th 04, 05:16 PM
G.Beat

"K. Hastings" wrote in message
I'm fixing up an older Channel Master light-duty rotor to turn a small 2m
wooden quad I've built for my attic, but one of the plastic gears in the
control unit disintegrated in my hand during the rennovation. The rest of
the control unit is in rough shape too.

I'm thinking of building my own power supply/control unit for this rotor,
but I'm not clear on just how these 3-wire units actually control the
rotor.
Any ideas? I can perhaps make my own simple PS, and figure out the
direction-setting power scheme, but getting feedback on the antenna
position
to prevent over-turn cound be tricky.

Thanks to all who reply...

VE9XYZ Kevin

You should be able to find a suitable gear replacement from Small Parts,
Inc. (Florida)
Small Parts, Inc.
13980 N.W. 58th Court
P.O. Box 4650
Miami Lakes, FL 33014-0650

http://www.smallparts.com/

Other interesting rotator sites (modifications and diagrams)

Doug Braun's addition of an indicator to the Radio Shack rotator
http://www.dougbraun.com/rotor_mod.html

http://www.dougbraun.com/pix/rotorpix/P1010017.jpg

http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/rotator1.html

w9gb

Old July 8th 04, 01:11 AM
K. Hastings

Thanks to all for your help on this - especially to Crazy George who
correctly suggested that the 2 directions are accomplished "typically a
split phase AC motor, a common and one phase fed directly, the other through
a phase shifting capacitor in the controller. Swap the two phase leads for
reverse direction." This is exactly what this older rotor used.

Thanks to G.Beat I have excellent drawings of the rotor mods and clear
schematics that I can use to build a revised controiller module. I'll post
schematics when my experimentation is complete if others are interested.

Thanks again, Kevin VE9 XYZ

Channel master 9521 Uwe Antenna 0 June 6th 04 04:50 AM
Channel Master choices John Antenna 0 May 4th 04 12:44 AM