Old June 27th 04, 02:07 PM
Jerry Martes

Default Millen grid dip meter question

I want to make a coil for a Millen grid dip meter that I bought *without*
coils. It would be alot easier if I had a picture of the coil Milen uses
for the 60 to 150 MHz range. Is there anyone who'd be willing to send me a
picture of that coil?

Thanks
Jerry

Old June 27th 04, 02:21 PM
Crazy George

Go to the jamesmillenco.com web site and scroll halfway down page 1 for a
photo of the coils in the rack. A further Google search will reveal many
other pages with photos. The 60 - 150 coil is two turns of #20 wire 3/8"
dia., and spaced about 1/8" apart out at the end of the plastic tube (inside
it).

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address

Old June 27th 04, 03:11 PM
Jerry Martes

Thanks, George I just made one. I wound a piece of 1/8 th diameter
aluminum wire around a 3/8 th bolt. The leads on the coil to the meter are
that same 1/8 th wire, about 2 inches long.
I'm impressed that the grid dipper now produces 137.50 MHz when the dial
reads 130.00. Hows that for good instructions from you??
I can tweek the frequency later, but now I see that this meter doesnt have
alot os "power out".

The grid dipper needle doesnt get above 0.1 so the poor sensitivity is
going to make this meter difficult to interpret. I got a schematic with
this (eBay) grid dipper so I expect I'll be able to do something to get the
meter to read a little farther up scale.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks
Jerry

Old June 27th 04, 09:05 PM
Crazy George

Jerry:

If it still has the original selenium and filter capacitor, that is a good
place to start. Of course, the tube may be weak, although none of mine have
ever needed tubes.

Old June 27th 04, 11:00 PM
Lee Carkenord

" I want to make a coil for a Millen grid dip meter that I bought
*without*
coils. It would be alot easier if I had a picture of the coil Milen uses
for the 60 to 150 MHz range. Is there anyone who'd be willing to send me a
picture of that coil?

Thanks
Jerry

The following website may be of use to you. In any event, it's a very
interesting site for anyone interested in GDO's.

http://www.qsl.net/n4xy/gdos.html

Lee Carkenord KA0FPJ

Old June 27th 04, 11:16 PM
NN7KEXK7ZFG@\(nospam\)SBCGLOBAL.NET

And, another thought: Often times on ebay, and at swap meets, you will see
ones by Measurments Corp-- Model 59. (think some also calles "Boontown"
meters , were made in Boontown, N.J.) These were made even with modern
day houseings (saw one at the last local meet), and relatively CHEAP! These
come in 2 varieties- a LOW freq head (freq range unknown), and a HF-VHF
version 2.2 MHz to 400 MHz in 7 ranges, and have a 4 inch meter (great
for these fadeing eyes) But- make sure that these have all their coils, and
tuneing
head! Tuneing is quite smooth and freq is acurate - modification article
for them
is in vintage Ham Radio issue. Agree with george- selenium is probably
shot, as well
as filter cap., and tube probably getting quite old (glow violet?- its
"gassy", and migh
salvage it by keeping power on it for couple weeks, but cheap to replace)!
Good luck, either way! Jim NN7K

inline swr meter question RB Antenna 2 June 26th 04 10:16 PM
160 Meter Inverted-L Question Dick, AA5VU Antenna 4 December 18th 03 11:48 PM
160 Meter Mobile Whip Question? Marvin Rosen Antenna 4 December 1st 03 05:29 AM
Determining antenna resonance with a grid dip meter Ralph Mowery Antenna 8 October 10th 03 12:49 AM
2 meter tv twin (300ohm) J pole question 'Doc Antenna 2 July 18th 03 03:21 PM