Old December 16th 03, 11:28 AM
Dick, AA5VU

Default 160 Meter Inverted-L Question

Several years ago I had an Inverted-L but the wire (RG-58 coax) kept
breaking and I am thinking about putting up a new version. This time I
am thinking about using the hard (really hard) wire used by the telepone
company for pole to house connections. It comes with two conductors.
Rather than stripping the wire I am thinking about just tying the ends
together and make it one conductor. In my old antenna I did the same
thing by shorting the RF-58. I plan to feed it with coax from the
bottom of the tower (center conductor to the telephone wire conductor
and shield to the ground wires).

Comments on the use of the telephone wire and feeding will be
appreciated.

Dick, aa5vu

ps: The old antenna came from a CQ article years ago about a coax
antenna with special shorting. The special shorting did not work so I
just made it a single conductor (coax and shiel). It let me do a WAS
without an amp so it worked.
Old December 16th 03, 02:45 PM
Dennis Kaylor

hey richard
unless you already own that wire i would suggest going to homedepot and
getting a 500 foot spool of 12 ga insulated wire it is only about
15$-20$ and its stranded wire so it will take the stress and strain
better than a solid wire would
good luck
BTW i am putting up a similar antenna 1/4 wave for 160 inverted L feed
at the ground center radiator going up 40 feet along the tower then 83
feet to a support and about 8-16 ground radials
73

Old December 16th 03, 10:35 PM
'Doc

Dick,
That's some good stuff! Ought to last almost as long
as you do.
'Doc
Old December 16th 03, 11:06 PM
Cecil Moore

'Doc wrote:
That's some good stuff! Ought to last almost as long
as you do.

Speaking of such - I hope everyone, "Lives long and prospers", -
even everyone who disagrees with me. :-) Merry Christmas!
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old December 18th 03, 10:48 PM
Dick, AA5VU

I found a great web page today that describes exactly what I am planning
at

http://www.bloomington.in.us/~wh2t/invertedl.html

Any comments?

In article
,
"Dick, AA5VU" wrote:

[...]

160 Meter Mobile Whip Question? Marvin Rosen Antenna 4 December 1st 03 04:29 AM
Smith Chart Quiz Radio913 Antenna 315 October 21st 03 05:31 AM
40 m inverted vee question????? capo Antenna 3 July 19th 03 04:42 AM
2 meter tv twin (300ohm) J pole question 'Doc Antenna 2 July 18th 03 03:21 PM