Old February 12th 14, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default The ATU, a dying art?

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:21:49 PM UTC-6, Sal wrote:
I'm at one end of the ham-knowledge scale ...

Sal, what is your technical opinion about the propagation delay through a 72uH 75m mobile Texas Bugcatcher loading coil?
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com
Old February 12th 14, 11:31 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"W5DXP" wrote in message
On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:21:49 PM UTC-6, Sal wrote:
I'm at one end of the ham-knowledge scale ...

Sal, what is your technical opinion about the propagation delay through a
72uH 75m mobile Texas Bugcatcher loading coil?

An interesting poser. I do remember in my final year at Uni in 1972
touching on delay lines fabricated from L & C, ubt have not
encountered the phenomenon for the past 42 years.

Old February 12th 14, 11:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"W5DXP" wrote in message
On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:21:49 PM UTC-6, Sal wrote:
I'm at one end of the ham-knowledge scale ...

Sal, what is your technical opinion about the propagation delay through a
72uH 75m mobile Texas Bugcatcher loading coil?
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

While I had the First Class license ( passed it when I was 22 on the first
try for it and the Second Class) in 1972, all I care about the progagation
delay on the whip is will it take power from the transmitter and radiate it.
hihi..
I seem to remember some discussion about that from a while back.

Even back in 1972 they must have been almost giving away the Comercial
license for me to have passed it and to this day I have never seen a TV
transmitter.
Only looked at a 1 KW AM station from outside the cabinet a couple of times.

---

Old February 13th 14, 03:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:05:49 -0800 (PST), W5DXP
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:21:49 PM UTC-6, Sal wrote:
I'm at one end of the ham-knowledge scale ...

Sal, what is your technical opinion about the propagation delay through a 72uH 75m mobile Texas Bugcatcher loading coil?

Not big enough.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/Large_antenna_loading_coil.jpg
Hmmm... might not fit on my Subaru.

Good question. I seem to recall that you went though this exercise
about two years ago:
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?336568-Delay-through-a-large-air-core-loading-coil
I don't have any better answers than the bad guesses offered. Did you
ever reach a conclusion or a consensus?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old February 13th 14, 05:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"W5DXP" wrote in message
On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:21:49 PM UTC-6, Sal wrote:
I'm at one end of the ham-knowledge scale ...

Sal, what is your technical opinion about the propagation delay through a
72uH 75m mobile Texas Bugcatcher loading coil?
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

I think it works fine and lasts a long time. (I can't claim I've made it
all the way to the far end of that scale.)

"Sal"

Old February 13th 14, 05:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:12:14 PM UTC-6, gareth wrote:
With the onset of automatic ATUs, is the the final technical

skill that disambiguates the radio amateur from the CBer

being lost?

I've never seen a case where the use of an automatic antenna tuner
drained antenna related knowledge from the operators brain pan.

I use a tuner with my 40m dipole to operate on two additional bands, 75 and
160. On a suburban lot, I have no practical way to install full-size
antennas for those bands, so I "make do."

My three tuners are all tools, of a sort.

I have a Black and Decker adjustable wrench which can be opened and closed
electrically, in addition to having the usual thumbwheel. I don't believe
motor operation necessarily diminishes the wrench or the user.

"Sal"

Old February 13th 14, 10:14 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote in message
I am not ducking the question but before I answer it, I seek some
reassurance
from you that you are going to behave in the manner that is expected from
a grown-up
in an international debating forum.

You seem to be ducking such a reassurance.

Hullo? Connelly?

Old February 13th 14, 10:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:21:37 AM UTC-6, Ian Jackson wrote:

The advent of remote tuners has been a godsend, as it obviates the need

to devise cunning methods of performing the remote adjustments. However,

I'm sure that there are now some amateurs who have the attitude "If I

sling a random length of wire in the air, and stick an auto-tuner on it,

it'll work just fine". As a result, the art of matching antennas has

become de-skilled, and we no longer need to have any idea whatsoever

about 'how things work'. Is this a 'good thing'?

--

Ian

I'm not really seeing it as some mass problem. Most of the people
I know that decided to use an ATU did so because of some specific
reason. Not because they can't match an antenna to a feed line.
Myself, I find the whole topic as kind of silly. And to drag the
poor CBer's into it, even more silly.

I've never used an ATU. Ever. Nada. Zip. So what.. Does that mean
I'm extra gifted when it comes to matching antennas to feed lines?
If you all want to believe so, be my guests.. :/

I do own and use some manual tuners, but none of my everyday
antennas require them. They are used more for special setups,
portable, etc.

Old February 13th 14, 10:29 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message
Myself, I find the whole topic as kind of silly. And to drag the
poor CBer's into it, even more silly.

The topic is a very serious one, the decline of amateur radio to
become indistinghuishable from CB radio, save for a few extra
bands, etc, and the arrival on the scene of auto tuners in danger
of being one of the last nails in the coffin.

Old February 13th 14, 10:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:29:12 AM UTC-6, gareth wrote:
wrote in message

Myself, I find the whole topic as kind of silly. And to drag the

poor CBer's into it, even more silly.

The topic is a very serious one, the decline of amateur radio to

become indistinghuishable from CB radio, save for a few extra

bands, etc, and the arrival on the scene of auto tuners in danger

of being one of the last nails in the coffin.

Says who? You? Auto tuners have been around for years and years,
and have nothing to do with the state of Amateur Radio.
Amateur Radio is declining because is a lack of overall interest,
and the use of the internet for instant global communications.
Among other things.. But trust me, ATU's have nothing to do with it.
:|