Old November 21st 15, 07:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default MC50 wiring

I know this really isn't the appropriate newsgroup but I was wondering
if any of you good people have the wiring scheme for a Kenwood MC 50 to a Kenwood TS 520se transceiver ? Thanks in advance.
Old November 21st 15, 09:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Saturday, November 21, 2015 at 1:39:05 PM UTC-6, BillyBobMarley wrote:
I know this really isn't the appropriate newsgroup but I was wondering
if any of you good people have the wiring scheme for a Kenwood MC 50 to a Kenwood TS 520se transceiver ? Thanks in advance.

I thought they used the same four pin connector.. ??
I've had 520's, and still have an 830, and it's four pin.
I think as far as the four pin wiring, if the notch is at 12 o clock,
the two upper pins will be the mic element, and the two bottom pins,
to the relay, which switches T/R.

Old November 21st 15, 09:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Saturday, November 21, 2015 at 3:41:21 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Some info on the mike..

http://www.qsl.net/g4wpw/mc50.pdf
Old November 22nd 15, 05:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

BillyBobMarley wrote:
I know this really isn't the appropriate newsgroup but I was wondering
if any of you good people have the wiring scheme for a Kenwood MC 50 to a Kenwood TS 520se transceiver ? Thanks in advance.

You can plug the MC50 plug directly into the TS-520
mic jack -- they are practically made for each other.
I ran the combo for quite a while way back when.
No wiring changes are required.

Irv VE6BP
Old November 24th 15, 12:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sunday, November 22, 2015 at 12:10:42 AM UTC-5, Irv Finkleman wrote:
BillyBobMarley wrote:
I know this really isn't the appropriate newsgroup but I was wondering
if any of you good people have the wiring scheme for a Kenwood MC 50 to a Kenwood TS 520se transceiver ? Thanks in advance.

You can plug the MC50 plug directly into the TS-520
mic jack -- they are practically made for each other.
I ran the combo for quite a while way back when.
No wiring changes are required.

Irv VE6BP

I bought the mic off a guy at a club meet and it had a 6 pin plug on it
hence the rewiring inquiry . Thanks all for the help , hope to see ya'll further down the log when I attempt to install a 40 meter extended double zepp in my modest back yard in the springtime.

Old November 24th 15, 05:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

BillyBobMarley wrote:
I know this really isn't the appropriate newsgroup but I was wondering
if any of you good people have the wiring scheme for a Kenwood MC 50 to a Kenwood TS 520se transceiver ? Thanks in advance.

You can plug the MC50 plug directly into the TS-520
mic jack -- they are practically made for each other.
I ran the combo for quite a while way back when.
No wiring changes are required.

Irv VE6BP

I bought the mic off a guy at a club meet and it had a 6 pin plug on it
hence the rewiring inquiry . Thanks all for the help , hope to see ya'll further down the log when I attempt to install a 40 meter extended double zepp in my modest back yard in the springtime.

Ooops! Didn't consider the situation and that it had been modified.
If you send me your email address, or if the whax44 is valid and let me
know. I have the Kendood MC-50 Instruction Sheet and I'll send it
to you. I'll try the whax44 address as soon as I've sent
this off.

I've spent the last 18 months trying to get a signal off of
my balcony (I'm in a Senior's Residence with the rule that nothing can
hang over the railing that I cannot take in when I'm not operating).
That wouldn't be so bad except that my balcony forms the only open
side of what is all metallic surround i.e. am trying to get something
that will radiate from what is essentially a Faraday cage!! @#$@!
My motto in life is 'RADIATE OR DIE TRYING!'

Irv VE6BP

Old November 24th 15, 10:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

BillyBobMarley wrote:
[...]

Got it Irv,thanks.Now all I need to do is find a Radio Shack around here and do the rewire job. A lot of them went belly up but some are still in buisness sp?
anyways looks like I can get this done and try it out this weekend.I currently have a D-104 installed on it but would like to see how the MC 50 sounds..Antenna is an Antron 99 11 meter vertical but works fine for 10-15 and it will work on 20 with a tuna. The 40 meter EDZ will open other doors ....stay tuned!
Old November 25th 15, 04:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

BillyBobMarley wrote:
[...]

The MC50 would normally have a bit less high end, and be a bit more
mellow than the D-104. It should sound pretty good being it's the mike
that was sold for that radio. When I was last using the TS-830, I was
using an Audio Technica dynamic which sounded pretty good with it.
Old November 25th 15, 06:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

There is an official Kenwood Mod for the MC-50, and it applies in
case you have troubles using the mic on VOX. It's easily found by
Googling 'Modifications for the Kenwood MC-50' but unless you are
a good tech, it involves modifications to one of the boards in the
rig itself, so unless you run into VOX problems, I'd leave that
problem to another day. I ran the MC-50 on a TS-520 and a TS-820
and never had any problems.

I just finished refurbishing an old
TS-930 and have an MC-60 for it. It's a lovely rig, but absolute
hell to have to work on. Normally the Kenwood manuals are good, but
for the TS-930 the Service Manual is pretty much rubbish. It was
only good fortune that I was able to effect the necessary repairs.
It's a dream rig, but the next time it requires any servicing I'm
going to junk it and go to a new rig -- even back to a 520, 820,
or an 830.
There's really nothing that these older rigs won't do if you tune and
operate them properly. I do have a Yaesu FT-857D which has almost
every bell and whistle you could ask for, but is largely
microprocessor controlled and every time you want to make a small
change such as Mic Gain and Carrier Gain you have to revert to
the manual and change a bunch of settings by which time you have
probably missed that rare piece of DX you have spent years searching
for. I'm no dummy with digital stuff, but it's still nice to
be able to twist a knob or two for quick adjustments.

Irv VE6BP
RADIATE OR DIE TRYING!

Old November 25th 15, 06:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 12:39:07 AM UTC-6, Irv Finkleman wrote:

There's really nothing that these older rigs won't do if you tune and
operate them properly. I do have a Yaesu FT-857D which has almost
every bell and whistle you could ask for, but is largely
microprocessor controlled and every time you want to make a small
change such as Mic Gain and Carrier Gain you have to revert to
the manual and change a bunch of settings by which time you have
probably missed that rare piece of DX you have spent years searching
for. I'm no dummy with digital stuff, but it's still nice to
be able to twist a knob or two for quick adjustments.

Irv VE6BP
RADIATE OR DIE TRYING!

I always liked all the hybrid Kenwoods. The original 520 had the
best audio of all of them. But the receiver on the 830 was the best
of all the ones I had, and it's the only one I still have. With the
VBT and it's CW filter, it's very good. And having used the 930, it's
just as good.
The only issue I have with the hybrids is stability. For my standards,
I can only run the TS 830 on a daily basis if I using the digital VFO-230.
Which I have.. It makes the 830 feel like a 930 as far as stability, and
gives five memories. It's rock solid.
The rigs are electrically stable, but not thermally.. Or at least to my
standards, and I am picky. Once I set a freq, I expect not to have to
touch it again, no matter what the room temp is. I won't tolerate any
noticeable drifting.

Disassembly Help needed, MC50 Mic John Equipment 3 December 1st 04 08:07 PM
Disassembly Help needed, MC50 Mic John Equipment 0 December 1st 04 12:25 PM
Disassembly Help needed, MC50 Mic John Equipment 0 December 1st 04 12:25 PM
ADI at-200 wiring... Doz Digital 0 July 4th 04 04:33 PM
FA KENWOOD MC50 DESK MIKE COLLECTOR QUALITY Rich Swap 0 February 15th 04 06:10 PM