Old December 7th 15, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Disrupting Usenet NGs

En el artículo , Brian Howie
escribió:

The problem with Usenet is you can't have a repository of files

Yes, you can. uk.d-i-y has the DIY FAQ with loads of useful
information, to which anyone can contribute.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/

I would fully expect any similar facility for uk.ram to be thoroughly
abused by Evans and his ilk in no time. If that happens, it'd have to
be password protected with submissions made via a named curator.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
Old December 7th 15, 08:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Brian Howie wrote:
In message , Stephen Thomas Cole
writes
rickman wrote:
On 12/7/2015 1:59 PM, Brian Howie wrote:
In message , Brian Reay writes
Jeff, please feel free to join RSGBTech, a Yahoo group which is
specifically intended for the technical amateurs and those who wish to
learn. It is moderated so the likes of Evans don't get to disrupt it.

If you would like an invitation, which speeds up the joining process,
drop me an Email. There is a valid address on my website.

There's a rumour on the Yahoo NDB list that the Yahoo groups may be
numbered. Rumour may stem from :-

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ya...0TN2IC20151205
#KMJHucvR0ufqhUcL.97

If Yahoo groups are taken down what are reasonable alternatives?

Usenet.

RFD uk.radio.amateur.rsgbtechgroup.moderated ?

Sounds like a plan, I'll get drafting.

The problem with Usenet is you can't have a repository of files . I
subscribe to the LTSpice and other yahoo groups that have colossal
libraries of useful stuff. Shifting that to Google Groups would be a nightmare.

Well, couldn't a binaries group do the job? There's NSPs out there offering
10 years or so of retention, so any files dumped into, say,
uk.radio.amateur.rsgbtechgroup.binaries.moderated would be available for a
good long while yet.

Here's a thought; we set up the ham.* hierarchy. Groups to include;
ham.technical, ham.ragchew, ham.binaries. All moderated, .ragchew
exceedingly light-touch, though. Invest some energy into getting ham.*
carried by the major NSPs and, bosh, we've got a fail safe for when Yahoo
kills Groups.

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Old December 7th 15, 09:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Brian Howie
escribió:

The problem with Usenet is you can't have a repository of files

Yes, you can. uk.d-i-y has the DIY FAQ with loads of useful
information, to which anyone can contribute.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/

I would fully expect any similar facility for uk.ram to be thoroughly
abused by Evans and his ilk in no time. If that happens, it'd have to
be password protected with submissions made via a named curator.

The problem with a web-based solution is that it's only viable as a file
repository as long as the owner keeps the URL and hosting paid up. It's
inherently constantly "at risk", is what I'm saying.

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Old December 7th 15, 09:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

Furtheragain, out of the blue, and unrelated to any other discussion, comes
one-sided personal attack from you.

Are you absolutely sure that you're not a seriously unhinged stalker?

Old December 7th 15, 09:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

En el artículo , gareth
escribió:

[usual tedious repetitive effluent flushed]

My post: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 20:39:06
Fat ****'s reply: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 21:34:19

What was that you were saying about stalking, hypocrite?

Are you absolutely sure that you're not a seriously unhinged stalker?

That's your Freudian projection at work again, OM. I must bow to your
greater experience and your advanced years.

After all, your malicious stalking of Brian Reay over a period spanning
several years ended up with you being handed your arse on a plate, plus
a criminal conviction, ordered to pay costs, and a severe tongue lashing
from District Judge Simon Cooper.

http://tinyurl.com/cqdfxlw

You're pathetic, Evans. I pity you. Get help.

--
(\_/)

Old December 7th 15, 10:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

Yet again, out of the blue, and unrelated to any other discussion, comes a
one-sided personal attack from you.

Are you absolutely sure that you're not a seriously unhinged stalker?

Your angry infantile response raises a few of points.

Firstly that the anger demonstrates that your obsession is out of control,
for you seek
to dominate and you have a temper tantrum when you are unsuccessful.

Secondly, you complained about what you termed as malicious crossposting by
me, and yet here you are,
crossposting to two other groups. Hypcoritical, or what?

Thirdly, your interpretation of a random arrival time of me coming up to
the office after watching
TV as stalking you is a further indication of your serious mental
derangement

Fourthly, day after day, hour after hour even, you rain down personal
attacks against me, unrelated to
any other posts and topics. Is your own personal life so lacking?

You would seem to be an arrant hypocrite as well as a seriously deranged
stalker.

Chill out, sonny. Perhaps it is you who should seek medical help?

Old December 7th 15, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article , rickman
wrote:

If Yahoo groups are taken down what are reasonable alternatives?

The QRP-L mailing list uses qth.net which operates through qsl.net.
Things work pretty smootlhy there. I should add that just as I read and
post to rraa through a genuine news reader (MT-NewsWatcher) and not
through e.g. Google Groups, i read QRP-L, the Yahoo-based KX3 gtoup, and
the Yaho-based Pacific Northwest pQRP group through my regular e-mail
program (Eudora) and not a web browser.

In article ,
Brian Howie wrote:

Google Groups was mentioned as an alterative. I'm not subscribed to any
google groups, so I don't know how they work. I use mailing lists for
the yahoo groups I use rather than the web client. I don't know if
google groups operate mailing lists.

Some Google groups let you elect to receive e-mail instead of using a
browser. I do so with those that let me.

In article ,
Brian Howie wrote:

The problem with Usenet is you can't have a repository of files . I
subscribe to the LTSpice and other yahoo groups that have colossal
libraries of useful stuff. Shifting that to Google Groups would be a
nightmare.

Make your own file repository. Dropbox will let you have 2 GB of space
free (more, if you pay for it) and you can put anything there. Most
things you put there are encrypted. You can get them, presumably the
Dropbox people can get them, and the CIA and the Israeli Intelligence
can get anything. You can pre-encrypt before putting things into Dropbox
and then that eliminated the Dropbox people from that list. You can
elect to share access to a file, or to a folder full of files, in two
ways. One way (not what you'd want for file repository purposes) lets
you share a file or files with a select group of people -- for example a
research group with members in various locations on the planet. Files
shared that way can be removed, added, or modified by any member of the
select group. The other way (the way you'd want for file repository
purposes) does not store things in encrypted form. You can find the
California URL of whatever file or folder you wish to make available and
then anyone to whom you give that URL can view the file or folder,
download it, but not in any way modify the version of it that's in
Dropbox. Some of my hiking friends use this method of making hike
photographs available to all of our group. Unlike some other photo
sharing sites, your files do not get compressed and photographs do not
get made blurry. You do not need to have a Dropbox account to access
files or folders shared in this way -- anyone with a web browser and the
URL can go there. Of course if I put something into my Dropbox account
and share it this way, and then six months from now I remove it, it will
then be gone (unless you've already downloaded it). Dropbox is
completely platform indifferent. Things I put there using my Mac will be
visible to you on your Windows or Linux computer, and vice versa, so
long as we use platform-indifferent file formats such as PDF, JPEG, etc.

In article ,
Stephen Thomas Cole wrote:

The problem with a web-based solution is that it's only viable as a file
repository as long as the owner keeps the URL

Change that to "leaves the files in his or her Dropbox account"

and hosting paid up. It's inherently constantly "at risk", is what I'm
saying.

No fees, unless you need more than 2 GB of space. Stuff I've put there
years ago is still there.

David, VE7EZM and AF7BZ

--
David Ryeburn

To send e-mail, change "netz" to "net"
Old December 8th 15, 12:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ya...SKBN0TN2IC2015
1205 #KMJHucvR0ufqhUcL.97

If Yahoo groups are taken down what are reasonable alternatives?

Usenet.

RFD uk.radio.amateur.rsgbtechgroup.moderated ?

Sounds like a plan, I'll get drafting.

The problem with Usenet is you can't have a repository of files . I
subscribe to the LTSpice and other yahoo groups that have colossal
libraries of useful stuff. Shifting that to Google Groups would be a
nightmare.

Well, couldn't a binaries group do the job? There's NSPs out there offering
10 years or so of retention, so any files dumped into, say,
uk.radio.amateur.rsgbtechgroup.binaries.moderated would be available for a
good long while yet.

Are you absolutely sure the 10 years isn't just text? I would have
thought that a long retention binary server would be a sitting duck for
copyright take-downs. But most of us don't even pay to subscribe to
binary servers with a few weeks' retention, nearly all of us are using
cheap or free text-only servers. And the only way to keep an archive
available to the majority would be to have some people cyclically
reposting the archive. But it might work on that basis.

The modern way is some sort of cloud service but, for practical
purposes, it would have to be advertising funded.

Here's a thought; we set up the ham.* hierarchy. Groups to include;
ham.technical, ham.ragchew, ham.binaries. All moderated, .ragchew
exceedingly light-touch, though. Invest some energy into getting ham.*
carried by the major NSPs and, bosh, we've got a fail safe for when Yahoo
kills Groups.

Ok, you need new binary groups for archiving, but why not use the
existing groups for discussion? They don't have to be in the same
hierarchy.

--

Roger Hayter
Old December 8th 15, 05:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 00:49:24 +0000, (Roger Hayter) wrote:

Here's a thought; we set up the ham.* hierarchy. Groups to include;
ham.technical, ham.ragchew, ham.binaries. All moderated, .ragchew
exceedingly light-touch, though. Invest some energy into getting ham.*
carried by the major NSPs and, bosh, we've got a fail safe for when Yahoo
kills Groups.

Ok, you need new binary groups for archiving, but why not use the
existing groups for discussion? They don't have to be in the same
hierarchy.

--

Roger Hayter

The vast majority of binaries fall under the alt hierarchy, such as
alt.binaries.teevee, or alt.binaries.multimedia for example. alt.binaries.ham
has pretty much nothing but spam at the moment with 704 posts beginning in July
2003 to February 2010 with but only 2 posts in 2012 and 2 more in 2014 - all
junk, BUT it has been pretty much ignored since February 2010, so it could work.
Also other alt.binaries.ham related groups can be created. It's worth a look
anyway. I'm done with rr.amateur.antenna, as I suppose many others are. It's
just a place for trolls to get their daily fix, with too many willing to provide
him with it on a daily basis. He must wake up every morning giddy with delight
finding so many have been drawn into the traps, while he continues to get his
fix throughout the day.

Bob KB2ZGN
Old December 8th 15, 10:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roger Hayter wrote:

rickman wrote:
[...]

Good point, I'm not sure but I think you're likely correct.

I would have
thought that a long retention binary server would be a sitting duck for
copyright take-downs. But most of us don't even pay to subscribe to
binary servers with a few weeks' retention, nearly all of us are using
cheap or free text-only servers. And the only way to keep an archive
available to the majority would be to have some people cyclically
reposting the archive. But it might work on that basis.

I do believe the Eternal September can be persuaded to carry specific
binary groups, and ham.binaries might well be a contender; moderated, small
file size, limited number of files. And ES retention is a few years or so,
give or take.

The modern way is some sort of cloud service but, for practical
purposes, it would have to be advertising funded.

Dropbox was suggested, and that's a good and credible option. Again, it
would be at the vagaries of Dropbox's business plan and is by no means a
permanent solution, but what is? Archive.org, perhaps?

Here's a thought; we set up the ham.* hierarchy. Groups to include;
ham.technical, ham.ragchew, ham.binaries. All moderated, .ragchew
exceedingly light-touch, though. Invest some energy into getting ham.*
carried by the major NSPs and, bosh, we've got a fail safe for when Yahoo
kills Groups.

Ok, you need new binary groups for archiving, but why not use the
existing groups for discussion? They don't have to be in the same
hierarchy.

Agreed, but if you're going to the trouble of setting up ham.binaries,
might as well go the whole hog. Of course, we're just shooting the breeze
here.

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur

Usenet and NGs dying? gareth Antenna 17 December 5th 15 05:49 AM
The decline of Usenet gareth Antenna 4 September 14th 15 09:27 AM
Posting on Usenet is.... [email protected] Shortwave 2 April 14th 07 04:57 AM
Why I don't use my call on usenet. Slow Code General 16 November 6th 06 09:31 AM
Why I don't use my call on usenet. Slow Code Policy 16 November 6th 06 09:31 AM