Old February 3rd 16, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Copper/Aluminum Connection

Here's a situation I haven't encountered before
and which I know little about.

I am building a magnetic loop antenna and have
an assembly which includes a capacitor and drive motor ideally suited
for the antenna. My problem is that the assembly is welded to an
aluminum mount. I want to attach a copper tubing loop to the mount
which will connect the loop to the motor driven capacitor.

My concern is the matter of dissimilar metals i.e. copper and aluminum
being joined. I would prefer to be able to bolt the assembly to the
copper tubing using star washers to reduce the joint resistance.

Here are my concerns:
1. What about rectification at the dissimilar metals joint? Is it going
to cause problems? Is it of any real concern?

3. Can the copper be welded to the aluminum mount for better joint
conduction? This is a last resort for me as it would mean taking the
assembly to a place where the welding, if possible, could be done.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions which would be greatly
welcomed.

Irv, VE6BP
RADIATE OR DIE TRYING!!
Old February 3rd 16, 10:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Irv Finkleman wrote:
[...]

Yes, there is a problem with aluminum to copper connections.

There are various "greases" to solve the problem.

This is just one of them:

http://www.dxengineering.com/search/...rder=Ascending

Here are some mo

http://ecat.burndy.com/Comergent/burndy/cat/602945

--
Jim Pennino
Old February 4th 16, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

Irv Finkleman wrote:
[...]

http://www.dxengineering.com/search/...plies/product-
line/jet-lube-ss-30-pure-copper-anti-seize?autoview=SKU&N=4294952247&sortb
y=Default&sortorder=Ascending

Here are some mo

http://ecat.burndy.com/Comergent/burndy/cat/602945

There is something to be said for using aluminium[1] tubing instead, and
any increased losses might be oounteracted by using larger tubing. The
skill and equipment to weld aluminium to aluminium is widely available.

[1] as spelled here
--

Roger Hayter
Old February 4th 16, 12:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Irv Finkleman" wrote in message
[...]

I read somewhere that the aluminum and copper should be seperated by
stainless steel to prevent problems.

Old February 4th 16, 12:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roger Hayter wrote:
wrote:

Irv Finkleman wrote:
[...]

Not on this side of the Atlantic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumin...ferent_endings

--
Jim Pennino

Old February 4th 16, 01:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:

There is something to be said for using aluminium[1] tubing instead, and
any increased losses might be oounteracted by using larger tubing. The
skill and equipment to weld aluminium to aluminium is widely available.

[1] as spelled here

Not on this side of the Atlantic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumin...ferent_endings

"Here" is the other side of the Atlantic!

--

Roger Hayter
Old February 4th 16, 06:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 2/3/2016 3:33 PM, wrote:
Irv Finkleman wrote:
[...]

That grease is widely used where aluminum power wiring comes in from a
pole and connects to a lug in a meter. And for that matter when I have
bought wiring panels (I mean the box where your power fuses or circuit
breakers live) they have come with a sticker saying the grease must be
used wherever wire other than copper connects to the panel.
Bob, WA9D
Old February 4th 16, 06:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bob Wilson wrote:
On 2/3/2016 3:33 PM, wrote:
Irv Finkleman wrote:
[...]

Yep, because aluminum to copper connections without the grease develop
resistive layers which get hot.

Also there is a problem with the differing coefficients of expansion
which loosens the connection and makes the problem worse over time.

The net result is aluminum/copper interfaces not done right tend to
burn down houses.

--
Jim Pennino
Old February 4th 16, 07:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Bob Wilson" wrote in message
Yes, there is a problem with aluminum to copper connections.

There are various "greases" to solve the problem.

That grease is widely used where aluminum power wiring comes in from a
pole and connects to a lug in a meter. And for that matter when I have
bought wiring panels (I mean the box where your power fuses or circuit
breakers live) they have come with a sticker saying the grease must be
used wherever wire other than copper connects to the panel.
Bob, WA9D

That grease is fine for inside a house where it does not get wet. Outside
for antennas it would probably wash off after a few rains. Then with the
wet conductors you get what is called galvanic corrosion.

The more distance in the chart it is, the faster this action is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

Old February 5th 16, 03:31 PM
Senior Member

You can buy stainless steel tape at most welding shops.
The tape is used to protect threads and valuable machined parts from weld slag. If you apply it to the copper, the aluminum will not corrode.
The problem with stainless steel is that it is an alloy and has a different dielectric constant than either the aluminum or the copper.

As one poster said, your efforts would be rewarded if you just used a larger diameter aluminum loop and forgot about the copper. Especially if you were going to install this antenna permanently in a place that was not easily accessible.
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...

Tube vs Rod Steel/Copper/Aluminum InfRes Antenna 3 August 30th 10 05:03 PM
Aluminum to Copper interface Cecil Moore[_2_] Antenna 22 November 11th 08 01:32 AM
Building a Solid Copper Ground Pipe {Tube} with an Solid Iron Core. - Also - Water Drilling a Solid Copper Pipe for a Ground Rod. RHF Shortwave 12 January 17th 06 08:39 PM
A copper [email protected] Shortwave 0 July 4th 05 12:54 AM
The Connection? dxAce Shortwave 11 May 30th 04 03:55 PM