Old July 20th 16, 06:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Wireless Dog Fence

Forgive my ignorance. I know absolutely nothing about how these work but had a question I thought someone here may be able to answer since Google hasn't found anything.

We used a Petsafe brand wireless dog fence with our pets two days ago and they broke through the barrier despite being trained to go back when they hear the beep. One of our dogs was found at our neighbor's house, but her sister is still missing. I know you can use AM radio to find a break in the Underground wire dog fence and was wondering if we could do something similar to locate our missing pet if the worst has happened. We thought maybe we could drive around our area with the transmitter in our van to set it off and it would make a noise on the radio if she was in range. Is this a possibility? Is there a way to know if we are near the receiver on her collar without risking shocking her?

Sorry if the answer to this should be obvious. I am just desperate to find her.

Old July 20th 16, 10:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message
[...]

-----ooooo-----

If you could point us to the technical spec (URL?) for the fence, then we
would be in
a better position to assist you.

You may well have come to the right place, but not enough info (for me, at
least)
to help

Old July 20th 16, 02:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Here is the manual for the unit we have. I'll have to look for the specs...

http://www.1800petmeds.com/images/pr...tem-manual.pdf
Old July 20th 16, 03:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

This is the product page which has specs for the unit:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/PetSafe-1-2...-300/100043603

Here is additional information I found about it.

Specifications of the Transmitter:
18 kHz Frequency
Depth: 8.5 inches, Width: 9 inches, Height: 9 inches
250 volt ½ amps fuse
Rounded barrel/front shaped
Low/High dial and boundary controls
The color is Light gray
On the left side there is the Off/On switch
Battery – 6-volt
Depth: 1 inch, Width: 2 inches, Height: 1 inch
Weight: 2.5 OZ.
Waterproof
Indicator for low battery that will signalize a flash of light on every 4-5 seconds
Short and long contact points

Receiver Collar Specifications:
Battery – 6-volt
Depth: 1 inch, Width: 2 inches, Height: 1 inch
Weight: 2.5 OZ.
Waterproof
Indicator for low battery that will signalize a flash of light on every 4-5 seconds
Short and long contact points

Is that at all helpful? If not, could you be a little more specific on what information you need some can try to find it?

Thanks!
Old July 20th 16, 04:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Or if there was a way to activate her passive RFID (microchip) and detect it at a distance without having to be a few inches from it, that would be helpful too. I suspect if the technology exists and is readily available, they wouldn't be putting the chips on all of the new credit and debit cards, though. Haha.

Old July 20th 16, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 08:39:00 -0700 (PDT), ALisha Hohman
wrote:

Or if there was a way to activate her passive RFID (microchip) and detect it at a distance without having to be a few inches from it, that would be helpful too. I suspect if the technology exists and is readily available, they wouldn't be putting the chips on all of the new credit and debit cards, though. Haha.

No.

w.
Old July 20th 16, 08:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 07:05:09 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

This is very similar to what the robot lawnmowers use.

Unfortunately the dog collar is the passive part.
No way to find it with any radio.

w.
Old July 21st 16, 01:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Okay, I was afraid of that. I was just hopeful that there was a way to detect interference with something else when it was in and then back out of range.

I have Vietnamese cousins who do not eat dog meat, but thanks for your concern.
Old July 21st 16, 01:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

That was more of a joke since people typically think that's what the microchips do. I guess satire doesn't come across well on the interwebs.

DX'ing and Invisible Pet Fence John Richer Shortwave 4 January 18th 05 10:44 AM
How reject QRM from the fence ? Thierry Antenna 7 October 26th 04 06:21 AM
On The Fence Arthur Harris Shortwave 33 August 27th 04 04:50 AM
chain link fence Wedgew Antenna 5 August 24th 04 01:09 AM
Maxtel wireless Inc/Talk Wireless Inc. In Niagara Region Steve St. Denis Scanner 0 October 8th 03 08:15 PM