Old October 16th 04, 12:02 AM
Fractenna

Don't follow...are you saying that fractal antennas don't have a future? Why
would you say this?

It's a bit off topic, but if you know something I don't on this subject, it
would be a wonderful opportunity to learn. Feel free to ID and e-mail me off
NG.

73,
Chip N1IR
Old October 16th 04, 12:09 AM
sideband

1. I ID every time I post. If you can't figure it out, it goes to show
your lack of attention to detail.
2. You started pushing your trip trap about fractal antennas when? Was
it 1999-ish? I have yet to see a single commercial offering of such
antennas. Draw your own conclusions there.

You mean you don't remember the sound thrashing I gave you last time,
when you got all defensive and evasive when asked for more performance
data on the antennas? I was willing to give you the benefit of the
doubt then, but you proved to me that your claims then were unfounded
and without basis, either in practical application or in theory.

I don't see a future for either BPL or fractal antennas.

'But they radiate!!" you say.. yeah, so do my rain gutters.

-SSB

Old October 16th 04, 12:28 AM
Fractenna

1. I ID every time I post. If you can't figure it out, it goes to show

No, there is no positive ID.

your lack of attention to detail.

2. You started pushing your trip trap about fractal antennas when?

My discovery dates to 1988.

Was
it 1999-ish? I have yet to see a single commercial offering of such
antennas.

Well, let's see... today I worked on 6 different project/ orders for customers,
and three were commercial ones. Two were, well, something else:-) The other was
product dev.

The staff worked on 4 commercial ones.

At any given time there are anywhere many different commercial orders for
various different designs. Ergo, I respect the fact that your knowledge is
incomplete, and certainly not factually based. Happy to discuss this with your
further off line if you wish.

Draw your own conclusions there.

Money in the bank:-)

You mean you don't remember the sound thrashing I gave you last time,
when you got all defensive and evasive when asked for more performance
data on the antennas?

Nope. That's not factually true, and I don't know who you are. Who are you?

I was willing to give you the benefit of the
doubt then, but you proved to me that your claims then were unfounded
and without basis, either in practical application or in theory.

Hmmm...let's take oh, one wee example: what are the geometrical requirements
for frequency invariance? Who found them? What do they have to do with
fractals?

I don't see a future for either BPL or fractal antennas.

I appreciate your opinion.

Being somewhat better informed on the facts, I have a compelling reason to
opine that you are incorrect.

'But they radiate!!" you say.. yeah, so do my rain gutters.

I never, ever, said this.

-SSB

Love to know who you are, and to take this of-NG, as I requested.

With best wishes,
Chip N1IR
Old October 16th 04, 12:35 AM
Fractenna

1. I ID every time I post. If you can't figure it out, it goes to show

A friend says you are a truckdriver in Michigan. Is this true? If so, it is
important to know your perspective given your comments.

Mind you, truckdriving is a noble and important job--but says nothing about a
knowledge base on antenna technologies; BPL; and so on.

Oh well, nice to beep ya!

10-4 there good buddy!

Chip N1IR
Old October 16th 04, 01:27 AM
Fractenna

1. I ID every time I post. If you can't figure it out, it goes to show
your lack of attention to detail.

Hmmm...here's what I believe to be relevant; this knowledge may be incomplete
or wrong. Kindly correct? Apologies if wrong. No slight meant in any way. Still
don't know your proper callsign..assuming you have one.

You're named Chris.

You operate out of Michigan. Livingston.You live in the next town over
(Howell).

Most of the time you drive big rigs down the southern corridor into Nashville
and beyond.

You stop and eat often in E-Town Kentucky and don't like Po-Folks restaurant.
You eat at Cracker Barrel, but they all look the same...same fare.

Divorced? Two kids?

Me-a-n fisherman. Fish fear you. Prefer big mouth bass.

Sounds cool! Let me know the next time you're out fishin in KY!

73,
Chip N1IR

Old October 16th 04, 02:03 AM
Fractenna

"Fractenna"
Would you be so kind as to ID? This screen you
hide behind seems rather compromising, and
unnecessary.

Sure thing.

Old October 16th 04, 02:08 AM
Mike Coslo

Ed Price wrote:

"Fractenna" wrote in message

Dear OM,

I am sorry that you take personal offense; I will be happy to state
why this
was posted:

1) it has been an ongoing topic on this NG for a long time, and now we
have
final resolution;
2) I did not expect nor require anyone to respond, ergo the 'troll
factor' is
not an issue;
3) The FCC has taken careful and measured steps to assure that US
amateurs
remain with the enjoyment of the HF bands, given the sharing of
spectrum with
BPL.
4)It is the very best scenario for all involved. That is definitely worth
gloating over.

Wishing you the best,

Chip N1IR

The "very best solution" would be to allow the utilities to use their
extensive system of power poles to string a fiberoptic cable to
residences (either direct, or maybe the last half-mile as an RF node).
If the power companies had spent their lobbying and legal money on
installing this base, a lot of people would now have high-speed net
connections.

Ed, if my understanding is correct, the power companies will indeed be
stringing fiber optic cables. There will be one going right by your
house if you are blessed to live in an bpl blessed neighborhood. THe
infrastructure must be built. I think there is an impression that the
power companies are just going to alligator clip a bpl signal on the
lines at the generating plant. Power lines are fair at delivering low
frequency and high power. At HF they aren't so hot.

So while you have the leaky, degraded signal with the dubious
convenience of being placed from the HV lines to the other side of your
line transformer (and let's just hope that has been worked out to be
safe) wouldn't it just make more sense to get the fast signal from the
proper source? Going right by your house....

BPL is the industry equivalent of putting bicycle tires on a top fuel
dragster.

A triumph of politics over technology.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 16th 04, 02:13 AM
NOYB

"Fractenna"
You're named Chris... snip
73,
Chip N1IR

Nathan, you're still an asshole.

Old October 16th 04, 02:25 AM
NOYB

"Fractenna"
There is no evidence, nor reason to believe, that the
low level of RF produced in BPL will propagate to
bona fide interference levels, in the very or mid
far-field.

See ? There's the bit your not getting.

I listen to SW. My neighbor signs-up for BPL. We share a pole-mounted
transformer. The AC in MY house, under my desk, will be infested with BPL.

Eventually someone might drop by and install some ferrite onto my power line
drop and that might reduce the noise by a few dB at certain frequencies.

The whole thing is a kludge.

By the way, there are plenty of reports of interference in other countries
and in the US trials. Start with ARRL.org and read.