Old January 6th 05, 07:48 PM
Simon Smith

Default The planning permission

Well, I today decided to make a start in trying to obtain planning
permission for my new Antenna - even though the "Permitted Development
Rights" have been removed from our small Village in the middle of nowhere on
Bodmin Moor in Cornwall -
First step was to fill in all four sets of application forms - the truth -
the whole truth and nothing but the truth !! Then out in the wind and rain
with a tape measure and try to measure up the length of the garden -
distance from the house to the proposed site of the Antenna - Height of the
house in relation to the height of the Antenna - and then go back indoors
and start to draw it all up into a meaning full set of drawing. Four copies
were needed. Next step. Try to find the digital Camera and wait for the rain
to stop before taking a photo of the intended site. Lunch. Proceed to print
photos - run out of ink. Install new print cartridge - and finally manage to
get the whole lot ready for the "Council"
Proceed to Bodmin Council offices - where a nice young girl offered to view
my drawings before accepting them for consideration. The first mistake I
made was in using feet and inches. "Sorry - we only take metric" So I now
have to re-do them all again. Next mistake "We Don't take them on graph
paper" Third mistake was
"We need a picture of the "Ariel" Forth mistake was: "We need the drawings
to be to scale"
Did Marconi have all this trouble with the "Council" ?
Here I am - now trying to re-do everything - to some sort of Scale. Wife
moaning - Kids Moaning - cat climbing over all the drawings - Dog waiting to
be walked..... TV blaring out .... Ohhh happy days .... I think I am going
Crazy..... Beam me up Scottie........
To be Continued.........
John M3IIV

Old January 6th 05, 08:12 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 19:48:39 +0000 (UTC), Simon Smith wrote:
[...]

'Tis easier to get forgiveness, than to get permission.

73
Jonesy W3DHJ
Old January 6th 05, 11:38 PM
Tom

The good news is, the clerk is actually being rather helpful.
A less useful situation occurs when the clerk accepts anything
you deliver and then the council rejects the proposal due to
improper formatting.

-- Tom

Old January 6th 05, 11:46 PM
Roy Lewallen

Do you get to vote for the council members who come up with all these
rules, or are they appointed by the Queen or something? If the former,
it sounds like it might be time to become a bit involved with your local
government. If the latter, well, God save 'er. And you.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old January 7th 05, 09:26 AM
Ian White, G3SEK

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Do you get to vote for the council members who come up with all these
rules, or are they appointed by the Queen or something? If the former,
it sounds like it might be time to become a bit involved with your
local government. If the latter, well, God save 'er. And you.

Unfortunately, none of the above. The rules are made by bureaucrats at
national level, and implemented by bureaucrats at local level.

John - if you haven't got hold of the RSGB Planning booklet, get it NOW!
There are several pitfalls in this process, so talk to an expert and get
detailed advice before you set foot back inside that planning office.

I am not one of those experts, just one of their "satisfied customers".
Being just about to go through the whole thing again in a different
location, I will definitely be following my own advice!

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Old January 7th 05, 01:53 PM
Simon Smith

Tom
I agree - Thankful for small mercies.....
John

Old January 8th 05, 08:50 PM
David G. Nagel

CW wrote:
[...]

John;

Remember that they are the government and are only here to help you!!!!

Dave WD9BDZ
Old January 9th 05, 03:35 AM
Ed Price

"David G. Nagel" wrote in message
CW wrote:
Seems you're making progress (?) over there. Sounds totally American.

"Simon Smith" wrote in message

Well, I today decided to make a start in trying to obtain planning
permission for my new Antenna - even though the "Permitted Development
Rights" have been removed from our small Village in the middle of nowhere

SNIP

my drawings before accepting them for consideration. The first mistake I
made was in using feet and inches. "Sorry - we only take metric" So I now
have to re-do them all again. Next mistake "We Don't take them on graph
paper" Third mistake was
"We need a picture of the "Ariel" Forth mistake was: "We need the

drawings

to be to scale"
Did Marconi have all this trouble with the "Council" ?

SNIP

John;

Remember that they are the government and are only here to help you!!!!

Dave WD9BDZ

We Americans used to chuckle about how, in Germany, everything was
prohibited except that which was specifically allowed. And now, we have
Covenants, planning commissions, the EPA, the FAA, the FCC, OSHA, and
agencies yet unformed, should we try to stick a wire up in the air. We've
learned a lot from Europe, and don't remember Pogo at all.

Ed
wb6wsn

New Call Simon Smith Antenna 7 December 21st 04 06:18 PM
Newbie - Studying for Tech & planning station setup - Vertical antennaquestion Volker Kerkhoff Antenna 4 January 17th 04 07:47 PM