Old November 2nd 04, 08:23 PM
Johann Höchtl

Default Balun description: who is right

I built an "ugly" air wound balun on a PVC water pipe according to this
description
http://www.hamuniverse.com/balun.html

I get 24 turns on a pipe having 75mm (about 3 inches) diameter measured
outside.

But recently i had the chance to look up the section in the ARRL antenna
book and there the number of windings is considerably smaller at a
higher winding radius.

Which description is right? Or does either have advantages and drawbacks?
Old November 2nd 04, 09:00 PM
Cecil Moore

Johann Höchtl wrote:

I built an "ugly" air wound balun on a PVC water pipe according to this
description
http://www.hamuniverse.com/balun.html

I get 24 turns on a pipe having 75mm (about 3 inches) diameter measured
outside.

But recently i had the chance to look up the section in the ARRL antenna
book and there the number of windings is considerably smaller at a
higher winding radius.

Which description is right? Or does either have advantages and drawbacks?

The optimum number of turns depends upon the band. Such a balun optimized
for 160m may not be effective on 10m and vice versa. OTOH, ferrite baluns
can be designed to function over a 10:1 frequency range by the proper
choice of the material for the toroid.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old November 3rd 04, 12:53 AM
Reg Edwards

From MY copy of the message I sent containing the binary attachment I get no
response by clicking the program's icon or the 'paper clip'.

I get a message which says "Outlook Express has made the attachment
inaccessible". So its in my computer somewhere but I can't get at it. Not
that I want it.

At some time in the distant past I may have set OE to reject suspicious
non-standard attachments.

But out of curiosity, has anyone managed to download program SELFRES2 ?

Or has it been rejected simply because its a binary file sent via a
newsgroup?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Although the program is finished I am reluctant to make it generally
available via my website because it has not been tested against actual coils
for spurious responses in impedance resonant curves which might restrict
the operating bandwidth at the higher frequencies. It's unexpected defects
in the coils I am interested in rather than defects in the program.
----
Reg.

Old November 3rd 04, 01:07 AM
Gene Fuller

Reg,

I downloaded and launched the program without difficulty.

It is generally considered "unsafe" to pass around naked 'exe' files in
newsgroups. It is quite typical that newsreaders have a default to
disallow such files. I have also seen downloads of 'exe' files that came
through corrupted for some reason. I do not know why.

In any case the difficulty with bare 'exe' files is one reason that many
files are zipped up.

73,
Gene
W4SZ

(This group is set up as a non-binary group. However, there is no
mechanism that prevent binary attachments, so that would not be the
cause of the problem you report.)

From MY copy of the message I sent containing the binary attachment I get no

Old November 3rd 04, 01:10 AM
John Smith

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message

From MY copy of the message I sent containing the binary attachment I get
no
response by clicking the program's icon or the 'paper clip'.

I get a message which says "Outlook Express has made the attachment
inaccessible". So its in my computer somewhere but I can't get at it.
Not
that I want it.

At some time in the distant past I may have set OE to reject suspicious
non-standard attachments.

But out of curiosity, has anyone managed to download program SELFRES2 ?

Or has it been rejected simply because its a binary file sent via a
newsgroup?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Hi, Reg -

I am using XP. The attachment is grayed out in OE for me and is not
available. I have heard that M$ did that intentionally to minimize the
transmission of virii. If you simply rename the file extension to something
else, like SelfRes2.run perhaps, the file might then become available and
could be executed after renaming. Or you could just zip it up and it will
transfer okay.

I think. That's what I've heard, anyway.

John

Old November 3rd 04, 01:17 AM
John Smith

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message

From MY copy of the message I sent containing the binary attachment I get
no
response by clicking the program's icon or the 'paper clip'.

I get a message which says "Outlook Express has made the attachment
inaccessible". So its in my computer somewhere but I can't get at it.
Not
that I want it.

At some time in the distant past I may have set OE to reject suspicious
non-standard attachments.

But out of curiosity, has anyone managed to download program SELFRES2 ?

Or has it been rejected simply because its a binary file sent via a
newsgroup?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Update...

In XP, I clicked Tools/Options then selected the Security tab. Unchecked the
"Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened...". I can get the file now.
I runs just fine.

John

Old November 3rd 04, 01:53 AM
Ralph Mowery

non-standard attachments.

But out of curiosity, has anyone managed to download program SELFRES2 ?

Or has it been rejected simply because its a binary file sent via a
newsgroup?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Running win 98 here. The file is grayed out but this hapens alot to me. I
tell OUtlook Express ro forward the message and from there I can run and or
save the program just fine. Thanks for the many fine programs.

Old November 3rd 04, 01:14 PM
Jay in the Mojave

Hello Johann:

Loose the coax Balun, and get a toroid balun.

All the coax Baluns I have used are now used to tie up bushs for pick up
on Thrusdays morning trash pick up.

http://www.amidoncorp.com/aai_cost_baluns.htm

After replacing the coax balun, with the Amodon 1 to 1 HBH50 current
type balun, on my yagi beams it was like night and day. Ten-4.

Jay in the Mojave

Old November 3rd 04, 05:46 PM
Richard Clark

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 01:17:33 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote:
In XP, I clicked Tools/Options then selected the Security tab. Unchecked the
"Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened..."

Hi John,

You are now standing at the edge of the abyss.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old November 3rd 04, 08:55 PM
Johann Höchtl

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
Hello Johann:

Loose the coax Balun, and get a toroid balun.

After replacing the coax balun, with the Amodon 1 to 1 HBH50 current
type balun, on my yagi beams it was like night and day. Ten-4.

Jay in the Mojave

Did you throw it because of signal loss or because the coax balun did
not worked as expected, so what a balun (balanced -- unbalanced) is
meant to be?

It's not all about that i really need a balun when running a dipole
antenna and rg58 but i fear RIF with neighbors ....