Old November 22nd 04, 08:51 PM
Joel Kolstad

Default Beacons with a G5RV

I'm in Portland, Oregon, USA. Over the weekend I strung a G5RV horizonally
about 15-20' off the ground -- it'll go higher once I have the hardware to
do so, however. It's connected to an Icom IC-745. In general, it's working
in that I can get pretty good reception on, e.g., 20m from the east coast.
However, I don't seem to hear any of the beacon states on 14.1MHz. Should I
be able to? It appears that the US beacon state (W6WX) is somewhere in
California, which seems like it should be plenty close, at least with 100W
(i.e., I should at least be able to here the callsigns and the first dash.)

I also have a shortwave receiver that came with a loop antenna. It's not
quite as sensitive as the IC-745, and you need to put it into SSB mode and
tune off-center to hear CW, but it wasn't picking up anything either.

---Joel Kolstad
KE7CDV

Old November 22nd 04, 09:01 PM
Joel Kolstad

P.S. -- The G5RV is connected directly to the radio; it doesn't go through a
tuner.

Old November 22nd 04, 09:57 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"Joel Kolstad" wrote in message
P.S. -- The G5RV is connected directly to the radio; it doesn't go through
a tuner.

What time of day are you listening?

Tam/WB2TT

Old November 22nd 04, 10:08 PM
Cecil Moore

Joel Kolstad wrote:

I'm in Portland, Oregon, USA. Over the weekend I strung a G5RV horizonally
about 15-20' off the ground -- it'll go higher once I have the hardware to
do so, however. It's connected to an Icom IC-745. In general, it's working
in that I can get pretty good reception on, e.g., 20m from the east coast.
However, I don't seem to hear any of the beacon states on 14.1MHz. Should I
be able to? It appears that the US beacon state (W6WX) is somewhere in
California, which seems like it should be plenty close, at least with 100W
(i.e., I should at least be able to here the callsigns and the first dash.)

What you hear depends on the shortwave skip conditions. Very often,
you will be able to hear the East Coast and not hear California.
The ARRL has a new Shortwave Propagation Handbook. Here's some
more information: http://dzabcik.home.texas.net/propagation.html
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Windom vs G5RV : 1-0 Thierry Antenna 0 October 4th 04 08:58 PM
G5RV vs. G5RV Jr. Jim Leder Antenna 15 August 25th 04 02:12 AM
G5RV or 135 foot doublet or Carolina Windom? Jim Leder Antenna 3 May 22nd 04 03:43 PM
Stupid question G5RV Ken Bessler Antenna 17 January 9th 04 12:06 PM
G5RV 450 ohm or 300 ohm Phasing line Andy Antenna 2 August 15th 03 02:10 AM