Old October 15th 18, 03:53 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 4NEC2?

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 12:17:09 +0000
Spike wrote:

On 14/10/2018 22:01, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , lid
says...

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 12:04:52 -0700 (PDT)
Jeefaw K Effkay wrote:

On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 7:33:10 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

It might help to understand why some bands use LSB while others
USB. In the early daze of sideband radio, the common IF
frequency was 9MHz. The radios had only one sideband filter.
With one filter, it was cheaper and easier to mix and up convert
in the transmitter. So, to save the cost of adding a second
filter, the bands below 9MHz were designated as LSB and the band
above 9MHz became USB. Eventually, radios were built with two
sideband filters, and this was no longer important. As usual,
the legacy technology remained in place to haunt the survivors
to this day.

I've seen this explanation before, but it doesn't make sense.

A 9MHz USB signal mixed with a 5.0 to 5.5MHz VFO will produce
mixing products in the 80m and 20m bands - but both will be upper
sideband.

When the 9 MHz is mixed with the 5 mhz the 20 meter signal is upper
sideband. The 80 meter signal is inverted and becomes the lower
sideband NOT usb. Years ago when ssb was just starting out on the
ham bands this made 80 meters and 20 meters easy and inexpensive
compaired to other methods. So it was decided on by hams to use 40
metes and lower frequencies as LSB and 20 meters and above as USB.
Then the government stepped in for the 5 and 10 MHz bands and
dictated what to use.

For other reasons most digital is in the USB mode for all bands
except for RTTY. RTTY is usually used in the LSB mode for all ham
bands, but can be used in the USB mode if the tones are inverted.
The commercial RTTY was usually inverted from the normal ham
RTTY.

"Geoff" has long had a 'difficult' relationship with HF.

We've only got your word for that and I think we all know the value of
your words by now.

Old October 15th 18, 05:45 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 12:16:14 +0000, Spike
wrote:

On 15/10/2018 01:20, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 11:12:14 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Since you prefer a minimalist approach to test equipment, as an
alternative to your light bulb, may I suggest a return loss bridge:
https://www.google.com/search?q=return+loss+bridge&tbm=isch
Note that there are several basic designs and configurations but all
are fairly simple and easy to construct. Note that these are NOT the
same as directional couplers.

To use it, you need a minimum of an RF signal generator and a
voltmeter or oscilloscope. I prefer to sweep the frequency range of
interest, so I use an RF sweep generator, and display the result on an
oscilloscope. With this arrangement, you can tune your antenna
without requiring a light bulb.

So, let me get this right. By employing a return-loss bridge, an RF
signal generator, and either a voltmeter or an oscilloscope, you can get
results that a distant station can't distinguish from those obtained by
using a torch bulb?

No. Per my previous rant, if your intent is "to be able to transmit
signals intended to be received by another station", then a light bulb
will suffice at producing the desired result. If your intent is to
design the best possible antenna, then you'll need something better.
If you just want to talk to someone, almost any kind of RF metering
device is sufficient.

There have been plenty of accounts of comparing various types of
antennas. For example, PSK Reporter is a good way to perform such a
test, where one can actually see the effects of antenna changes.
https://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html
What I've found is that such side by side comparisons do not account
for variations in propagation, path, interference, local noise, time
of day, position of the moon, and other factors beyond the operators
control. A given antenna might be far superior under one set of
condition, and rather disgusting under another. Most signal reports
also tend to be very subjective, inaccurate, and not repeatable.

If you are using a light built to tune a commercial antenna, which has
already been optimized in extensive lab and field tests, I suspect
that it is likely that a light bulb will give a similar result a
proper VSWR measuring device. (Actually, that's not quite correct
because I don't tune my antennas for minimum VSWR). However, that's
not why someone purchases and uses a VNA or swept return loss bridge.
They use these because they're building their own antenna, or
optimizing a commercial antenna. Once the antenna has been properly
tuned and tweaked, the VNA and return loss bridge are no longer needed
unless something changes.

Incidentally, I use a remote field strength meter to compare antennas.
It has it's limitations, but it's better than using VSWR or maximum
antenna current as in your light bulb method.

Given your ability to estimate the performance of an antenna by looking
at it rather than employ modelling methods, I would have though you
would be sympathetic to the merits of the torch bulb approach.

Since you seem impressed with my powers of observation, it might be
useful to know that to the best of my limited knowledge, light bulbs
went out of fashion in the 1930's, to be replaced by thermocouple
antenna current meters.
https://www.google.com/search?q=thermocouple+rf+ammeter&tbm=isch
It is much easier to see changes in a meter deflection than changes in
light bulb intensity, unless you also use a light meter. If you
select different light bulbs for different power levels, you might be
able to keep the losses to a minimum.

In any case, a VNA or even a return loss bridge is not for you. There
are plenty of things one can do with ham radio including "to be able
to transmit signals intended to be received by another station". You
seem intent on using the oldest and most crude methods of
accomplishing this. That's fine as there is room for retro-radio,
antique radio techniques, and preserving historical technology. I
would guess(tm) that your radios all use tube (thermionic valves) and
that you tune the transmitter for maximum cherry red glow in the
finals. Best of luck, but that's not for me.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 15th 18, 05:46 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 14/10/2018 11:57, Geoff wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 11:55:13 +0000
Spike wrote:

On 14/10/2018 11:44, Geoff wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 11:39:58 +0000
Spike wrote:

On 14/10/2018 11:04, Geoff wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 08:50:13 +0000
Spike wrote:

On 14/10/2018 01:32, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

wrote:

Gareth once complained about a mobile CB set-up he installed
in a 4x4 couldn’t reach further than a quarter mile.
That’s all you need to know about Gareth and
radio.

He probably didn't need any antenna at 1/4 mile (400
meters).

snip interesting detection story

Stephen Thomas Cole, the PP, just after gaining his UK Full
licence by 'acing' all three exams, appeared on a UK Amateur
group asking which sideband he should use on 40m. That's all you
need to know about him and and his ability with radio.

That sounds interesting - can you provide a link to that post?

No. For some reason it's been deleted.

Then we only have your word that it ever exsisted. I choose not to
believe a word of it.

'It's been deleted' means it did exsist. You can't delete was was
never posted. You might ask yourself why it was deleted. That's all
you need to know about his ego and and his ability with radio.

We only have your word for any of that. I choose not to believe a word
of it.

JFTR the offending message was posted in the group
free.uk.amateur-radio, on the 1st of December 2013. Some news servers
will carry messages this far back, the one used for this exercise has
messages back to 27 June 2003. Downloading all available messages from
that group shows that the offending message has 'disappeared'. A
response to the offending message remains and quotes in full the
original message. The OP's answer to that response has also
'disappeared'. The full text of the offending message was reposted by
the responder. It confirms the confusion in the OP's mind concerning
which sideband to use on 40m, just as was stated. It is left to others
to speculate on why two such embarrassing messages should have
'disappeared' out of the 530+ from the OP that remain. The original
message can be found on Google Groups:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!or...A/_ityI76x0IMJ

Feel free to choose to believe what you will.

--
Spike

"Nearly all men can stand adversity,
but if you want to test a man's character,
give him an internet group to manage"

Old October 15th 18, 05:52 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

Gareth once complained about a mobile CB set-up he installed
in a 4x4 couldnÃf¢ââ?s‰â?z¢t reach further than a quarter
mile.
ThatÃf¢ââ?s‰â?z¢s all you need to know about Gareth and
[...]

obvious init ? ....

Old October 15th 18, 06:04 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

mm0fmf wrote:

On 14/10/2018 20:59, Bernie wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 20:25:28 +0100
Brian Howie wrote:

In message , Bernie
writes
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 05:59:35 -0700 (PDT)
Jeefaw K Effkay wrote:

On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 12:57:21 PM UTC+1, Geoff wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 11:55:13 +0000
Spite sent a message from the other
side:
On 14/10/2018 11:44, Geoff wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 11:39:58 +0000
Spite sent a message from the other
side:

On 14/10/2018 11:04, Geoff wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 08:50:13 +0000
Spike lied:

wrote:

Gareth once complained about a mobile CB set-up he
installed in a 4x4 couldnââ'¬â"¢t reach further than a
quarter mile. Thatââ'¬â"¢s all you need to know about
[...]

What STC actually asked was which sideband he should use for RTTY
on 40m.

Which is, of course, an interesting question as it's not something
that was covered in any exam, current or previous.

My $0.02 worth is that it doesn't matter, since an RTTY operator
will know that he needs to invert the received tones if he sees a
string of "46464646" instead of "RYRYRYRY"

Here's what was asked, and it wasn't posted no archive, or deleted,
or any of the other weak bull**** that Burt has bean spraying around:

"Was pottering at my radio last night, heard the scream of data
being sent and was triggered to revisit a long parked project;
getting going on RTTY!

Here's the hardware I'm using:

Yaesu FT757-GXii Serial/USB cable interface thing PowerMac G4 running
CocoaModem

I've got everything hooked up, have CocoaModem configured and
displaying a waterfall but when set to RTTY mode it's just decoding
gibberish...

Other than a couple of short spells at club days, this is my first
go at this and I have no idea what I'm doing... Any tips?"

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!or...-radio/MjriIIU
zuHA/_ityI76x0IMJ

Good old Burt.

For the record all the data modes including RTTY use upper sideband
all the way up from 136KHz . CW A1A is also upper sideband but there
can be advantages to be had by swapping to LSB to avoid
interference. F1A beacons seem to be a law unto themselves. You can
get quite good at reading inverted morse.

Amateur RTTY uses inverted tones and a different narrower shift
compared with commercial RTTY.

I don't know why your getting onto Steve about this as none of it is
the radio amateur courses or even online anywhere, unless some smarty
pants comes along and tells me it is. Ok it's in here for WSJT

It was Burt who was doing the 'getting onto' and when it wasn't going
well for him he introduced a new plotline about mysterious disappearing
posts and the character defects that could be at the root of the
disappearing posts.

I joined it to point out that the posts are still there and that Burt is
a liar and a ****ing idiot.

But Burt is an excellent troller.

Of course none of us would **** on Burt if he were on fire. Apart from
Dicky 'Rimjob' Brown. But that's because he's trying to hide the fact he
lied about his licence level.

You say "none of us" - there are only three of you! Most group users
don't particularly love Reay and his acolytes much more than Spike, I
would think.

--

Roger Hayter
Old October 15th 18, 06:58 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

We only have your word for that. I choose not to believe you.

response to the offending message remains and quotes in full the
original message. The OP's answer to that response has also
'disappeared'. The full text of the offending message was reposted by
the responder.

It's been reposted here too:

"Was pottering at my radio last night, heard the scream of data being sent
and was triggered to revisit a long parked project; getting going on RTTY!

Here's the hardware I'm using:

Yaesu FT757-GXii Serial/USB cable interface thing PowerMac G4 running
CocoaModem

I've got everything hooked up, have CocoaModem configured and displaying a
waterfall but when set to RTTY mode it's just decoding gibberish...

Other than a couple of short spells at club days, this is my first go at
this and I have no idea what I'm doing... Any tips?

It confirms the confusion in the OP's mind concerning
which sideband to use on 40m, just as was stated.

No, it doesn't.

Even his followup: "Will do. I was doing this on 40m, so had the rig on
LSB. Would people use

USB for RTTY? Just Googled and I see LSB is customary for RTTY, which I was

vaguely aware of... I need to do more reading!"

Confirms that he knew which sideband to use on 40. It's RTTY that he
has the doubt about.

..
It is left to others
to speculate on why two such embarrassing messages should have
'disappeared' out of the 530+ from the OP that remain. The original
message can be found on Google Groups:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!or...A/_ityI76x0IMJ

Feel free to choose to believe what you will.

I believe that you are a bitter, spiteful old man who will say
whatever suits his ends.

Old October 15th 18, 07:10 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

Gareth once complained about a mobile CB set-up he installed
in a 4x4 couldnââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t reach further than a
quarter mile. Thatâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s all you need to know
[...]

You're welcome. Thanks for confirming that what I said was correct.

Old October 15th 18, 07:20 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

And not to forget the intermittent fault on that FT757 which seemed to
disappear resulting in the rig being sold off complete with
undiagnosed fault as soon as possible.

a little 4nec2 help? [email protected] Antenna 5 November 13th 07 07:04 AM
Anybody tried 4nec2 on Vista ? 4nec2 Antenna 8 July 8th 07 04:06 AM
New 4nec2 version Arie Antenna 15 February 19th 06 06:42 AM
4nec2 and linux ?? dansawyeror Antenna 6 February 7th 06 03:52 PM
4nec2 question larry d clark Antenna 1 March 12th 04 02:26 PM