Old October 14th 18, 12:55 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 4NEC2?

On 14/10/2018 11:44, Geoff wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 11:39:58 +0000
Spike wrote:

On 14/10/2018 11:04, Geoff wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 08:50:13 +0000
Spike wrote:

On 14/10/2018 01:32, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

wrote:

Gareth once complained about a mobile CB set-up he installed in a
4x4 couldn’t reach further than a quarter mile. That’s all
you need to know about Gareth and radio.

He probably didn't need any antenna at 1/4 mile (400 meters).

snip interesting detection story

Stephen Thomas Cole, the PP, just after gaining his UK Full
licence by 'acing' all three exams, appeared on a UK Amateur group
asking which sideband he should use on 40m. That's all you need
to know about him and and his ability with radio.

That sounds interesting - can you provide a link to that post?

No. For some reason it's been deleted.

Then we only have your word that it ever exsisted. I choose not to
believe a word of it.

'It's been deleted' means it did exsist. You can't delete was was never
posted. You might ask yourself why it was deleted. That's all you need
to know about his ego and and his ability with radio.

--
Spike

"Nearly all men can stand adversity,
but if you want to test a man's character,
give him an internet group to manage"

Old October 14th 18, 12:57 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

We only have your word for any of that. I choose not to believe a word
of it.

Old October 14th 18, 01:10 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

Burt, what was it you were saying about being beaten with your own
schtick, Burt?

Burt, T H A N K S, Burt.

Old October 14th 18, 01:27 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

That's not an issue, after all, life is about choices - some people make
poor choices and never progress at all in any Class of UK licence that
they have held. I choose to take that as a sign of their low self-esteem
- as I do about people deleting, or choosing not to archive, posts of
theirs that shown them in a poor light.

Old October 14th 18, 01:36 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

There are also people who just make things up, to serve their own petty
spitefulness. I choose not to believe a word those people say.

Old October 14th 18, 02:25 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

That's not an issue, after all, life is about choices - some people make
poor choices and never progress at all in any Class of UK licence that
they have held.

Define "progress", bearing in mind that the primary purpose of an
amateur licence was "self training", not "working CW on 20".

I choose to take that as a sign of their low self-esteem

Spare us the cod psychology.
Old October 14th 18, 04:08 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Spike wrote:

wrote:

Gareth once complained about a mobile CB set-up he installed in a
4x4 couldn't reach further than a quarter mile. That's all you
need to know about Gareth and radio.

He probably didn't need any antenna at 1/4 mile (400 meters).

snip interesting detection story

Stephen Thomas Cole, the PP, just after gaining his UK Full licence by
'acing' all three exams, appeared on a UK Amateur group asking which
sideband he should use on 40m. That's all you need to know about him
and and his ability with radio.

That sounds interesting - can you provide a link to that post?

I hope I am as open-minded as the next person, but it is really
stretching credulity to accept that anyone could actually find that
alleged fact remotely interesting.

It's only interesting as in its showing how any stick can be useful to a
person of a particular mind-set to beat a dog, as it were, even if the
beater can be then be beaten in turn with a similar stick, raising the
question of why the mind-set of the original beater impels him to do
this self-destructive act repeatedly.

Ah, the 'he started it' argument, familiar to any parent.

--

Roger Hayter
Old October 14th 18, 04:15 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

You've obviously read "....even if the beater can be then be beaten..."
as a mandatory response that the beater will necessarily be beaten in turn.

Old October 14th 18, 05:46 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 05:59:35 -0700 (PDT)
Jeefaw K Effkay wrote:

On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 12:57:21 PM UTC+1, Geoff wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 11:55:13 +0000
Spite sent a message from the other side:

On 14/10/2018 11:44, Geoff wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 11:39:58 +0000
Spite sent a message from the other
side:

On 14/10/2018 11:04, Geoff wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 08:50:13 +0000
Spike lied:

wrote:

[...]

What STC actually asked was which sideband he should use for RTTY on
40m.

Which is, of course, an interesting question as it's not something
that was covered in any exam, current or previous.

My $0.02 worth is that it doesn't matter, since an RTTY operator will
know that he needs to invert the received tones if he sees a string
of "46464646" instead of "RYRYRYRY"

Here's what was asked, and it wasn't posted no archive, or deleted, or
any of the other weak bull**** that Burt has bean spraying around:

"Was pottering at my radio last night, heard the scream of data being sent
and was triggered to revisit a long parked project; getting going on RTTY!

Here's the hardware I'm using:

Yaesu FT757-GXii Serial/USB cable interface thing PowerMac G4 running
CocoaModem

I've got everything hooked up, have CocoaModem configured and displaying a
waterfall but when set to RTTY mode it's just decoding gibberish...

Other than a couple of short spells at club days, this is my first go at
this and I have no idea what I'm doing... Any tips?"

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!or...A/_ityI76x0IMJ

Good old Burt.

Old October 14th 18, 05:48 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 14/10/2018 09:49, Spike wrote:
On 13/10/2018 20:43, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I understand how antenna work and how to predict performance. I can
even do it without 4NEC2 or other antenna modeling program. For
example, the uglier the antenna, the better it works. Antennas that
are more expensive, bigger, and in violation of local building
ordinances, work the best. Experimental prototype antennas always
work while the production versions never seem to work as well. If
there are two ways to assemble an antenna, the wrong way will have
higher gain, lower VSWR, or both. High gain, small size, or wide
bandwidth; pick any two. Using these rules of thumb and others,
anyone can predict how well an antenna will perform by inspection and
without using computer models, Smith charts, or tedious calculations.

WHS

There has been much talk on UKRA in the recent past about the merits or
otherwise of various makes and models of VNAs. It's my view that the
point of having an Amateur licence is to be able to transmit signals
intended to be received by another station. One of the alleged virtues
of a VNA is to be able to set up one's aerial system. However, I
maintain that using cheap torch bulbs is an equally valid indicator of
the state of tune of one's station, and that a distant station cannot
tell the difference between a system set up with the aid of a VNA and
one set up with the aid of a torch bulb or two.

The PP seems unaware of retarded potentials, and has blustered his way
by responding to the question without actually any understanding of
the issues involved.

a little 4nec2 help? [email protected] Antenna 5 November 13th 07 07:04 AM
Anybody tried 4nec2 on Vista ? 4nec2 Antenna 8 July 8th 07 04:06 AM
New 4nec2 version Arie Antenna 15 February 19th 06 06:42 AM
4nec2 and linux ?? dansawyeror Antenna 6 February 7th 06 03:52 PM
4nec2 question larry d clark Antenna 1 March 12th 04 02:26 PM