Old December 7th 04, 08:41 PM
- XC -

wrote in message
oups.com...
The question is, why
then are remote baluns promoted as the solution to this common problem?

Well, there's more than one way to skin a cat, a remote balun wouldn't be
bad if it fed the balanced feedline of a resonant antenna which is used at
its resonant frequency. But if you want to operate the antenna everywhere
then you don't want a balun feeding the open wire, weather it be at the
antenna or on the antenna side of a shack side antenna tuner.

Go to Cebiks index section, in particular the Transmission Lines, Impedance
Coupling, and Construction section, - there's lots of reading there on
antenna tuner matching issues including a great tutorial :^)
http://www.cebik.com/radio.html

And, is the coax twinlead and a balnaced tuner a better choice than a
short lenght of very low loss coax, a good current balun, and a T
match?

Oh Yes. If you keep everthing balanced and then use a GOOD balanced antenna
tuner things will work out fine.
Avoid any balanced tuner design that has a matching network followed by a
ferrite core balun on the *antenna feedline* end.
These types of baluns are meant to be used close to their design inpedances,
not when connected to a multiband antenna which is going to have wild
variations in Z.

73,
John

Old December 8th 04, 01:46 AM

Good info! I think Palstar has a tuner that places a 1:1 balun on the
input or transmitter side of a T match tuner. I think I will look
into that one and use a short length of coax twinlead instead of the
remote balun.
Thanks for the help!
Jim

Old December 8th 04, 02:02 AM

Good info! I think Palstar has a tuner that places a 1:1 balun on the
input or transmitter side of a T match tuner. I think I will look
into that one and use a short length of coax twinlead instead of the
remote balun.
Thanks for the help!
Jim

Additional Line Losses Due to SWR Robert Lay W9DMK Antenna 194 December 9th 04 12:30 AM
Ladder line question ???? Bob Antenna 2 April 24th 04 04:54 AM
ladder line J-pole question Dustin Antenna 1 March 25th 04 04:36 PM
MFJ-974H Balanced Line Tuner Ed Antenna 18 November 14th 03 05:11 PM
Complex line Z0: A numerical example Roy Lewallen Antenna 11 September 13th 03 01:04 AM