Old December 29th 04, 08:55 PM
Richard Harrison

Cecil, W5DXP wrote:
"A ham I knpe uses parallel runs of RG 62 as a compromise. That gives
him a characteristic impedance of 186 ohms for his 30 foot underground
section."

Yes. It`s balanced to ground and has twice the characteristic impedance
of a single run of coax. In the case of twin runs of RG 82, that is
twice a value of 93 ohms, or 186 ohms, center conductor to center
conductor.

I recall analog microwave radios which had their baseband signals wired
with twin runs for each direction of transmission like that to obtain a
shielded and balanced baseband system. It must have been good for the
coax business and it made for a quiet radio too.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old December 31st 04, 11:29 PM
Bob P

I like the welding idea but sold my arc welder b4 moving to the new house
:-(
I've been playing with an end fed 100' wire antenna and it seems to work
pretty well and is nearly invisible to boot. I've got access to trees maybe
200, 300 feet out. Just need to pick up a wristrocket.
Bob

"'Doc" wrote in message
Bob,
The 'quick'n'dirty' answer is don't waste your time burying
the ladder line. If you have to bury a feed line make it coax
(one of the reasons it was invented, to be able to run it close
to 'stuff', or ground). Still want to try it? Then why not. The
losses may be acceptible to you (sort of doubt that, but...), and
it would be an interesting experiment.
'Doc

ALTERNATIVE #1
Take up metal welding 'scupture'. Build a huge ~ugly~ thingy
in the backyard. Hang dipole over the top of it (call it a lightning
protection device). 'They' will be so upset over the 'sculpture'
they'll never even see the dipole. Invest in a good divorce attorney.