Old October 18th 03, 09:39 PM
yea right

Default Burying Coax

I would like to bury my coax for a distance of about 20ft. The location
consist of 6" of crushed decorative rocks over the top of very rocky soil.

I intend to take the LMR-400 coax and push it through a garden hose to add
a layer of protection. However, I am worried that condensation will
quickly fill the airspace of the hose with water and it will either
penetrate the coax outer jacket or interfere with the performance of it in
some unknown negative way.

I can not flood the garden hose with petroleum oil as it will soon eat
through the PVC jacket of the coax or garden hose. Ideally, I would like
to flood the hose with the same stuff they put into underground cables. It
has a honey consistency and is not easily displaced by water. I was hoping
for some type of silicon oil but am unable to find anything similar at the
hardware store.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Old October 18th 03, 10:27 PM
Martin

"yea right" wrote in message
news
[...]

Get two rubber / plastic boots - the type used on electrical installations.
a large container of petroleum or KY jelly fill both end of the hose once
you have the coaxial through it this should stop any air getting in or out
and
so prevent the condensation problem. Finally put the boots over tube ends
again filled with jelly and using come electrical tape , tape over it.
Go over the electrical tape with self amalgamating tape them one more
layer of electrical tape to keep out the UV and "BOBS your uncle"
job should be a good one.

TTFN Martin G1GYC

Old October 18th 03, 11:08 PM
K9SQG

Use rigid PVC tubing, cement fittings as needed. It will provide more physical
protection than a garden hose. Any condensation that develops should be
minimal. However, even if it were severe, if the coax couldn't stand up to it
then it couldn't stand up to rain, snow, frost, etc. either. I used coax
buried in this way and had no trouble with it for 15 years.
Old October 18th 03, 11:52 PM
'Doc

Don't worry about it. Save the 'worry' for something that's
more likely to happen, you may run short...
'Doc
Old October 19th 03, 12:35 AM
Thierry

"helmsman" wrote in message
yea right wrote:

.
Don't buy goods made in France or Germany and vacation somewhere else!

And you call that a OM, respectfully of the ham spirit, worldwide ?

Thierry
ON4SKY, LX3SKY

Old October 19th 03, 01:26 AM
Jer

Yea right, tell that to the 1000's of Americans buried there defending those
countries. Damm straight I don't buy anything made there much less vacation
there!! If I had my way, we would disinter all of them and bring them home
to hallowed ground here in America!

Screw the french and the krauts!

de jer

"Thierry" see my website wrote in message ...

"helmsman" wrote in message

.

Old October 19th 03, 01:54 AM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi yea right

I would use standard PVC conduit and boxes, it's cheaper than garden
hose and more impervious to cuts.

I doubt if your going to be able to 'push' a coax through a hose, or
even conduit for that matter. You will probably have to 'pull' it
through using a fishtape.
As the distance increases, so does the friction against the walls of
whatever you are pulling it through.
One cannot even pull a piece of romex through 15 feet of PVC without a
fishtape and some wirelube from your local electrical supply house.

TTUL
Gary

Old October 19th 03, 02:43 AM
Craig Buck

Your going to all that trouble to "protect" 20 feet of coax? It is not
worth the time, hassle or money. Put it down and replace it every couple of
years if you think there is a problem.

--
Radio K4ia
Craig "Buck"
news

Old October 19th 03, 04:22 AM
J. McLaughlin

I agree with Bill (W7TI). The Davis Coax is just what it says it is on
his WEB site. I use it anyplace where I can not use hard-line.
Just make up a jumper using the Bury-Flex, put it in the ground, and
forget about it. If you wish, a spiral plastic wrap exists that will
provide some cushion and is very easy to use.
Take some loss measurements to compare once a year. I bet you will
not ever find a need to replace the coax.
73 Mac N8TT
--
J. Mc Laughlin - Michigan USA
Home:

"W7TI" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:39:15 GMT, yea right wrote:

I would like to bury my coax for a distance of about 20ft. The

location
consist of 6" of crushed decorative rocks over the top of very rocky

soil.
snip

Get some Davis Bury-Flex coax and forget about the fancy protection
stuff. If you're really paranoid, design the installation so you can
pull the old coax and replace it every time you start to wake up

nights
and worry about it.

http://www.davisrf.com/ham1/coax.htm

--
Bill, W7TI

Old October 19th 03, 04:45 AM
Rick Frazier

Gary:

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've had no difficulty in pushing RG-8 through
a 20 foot section of 1" PVC, and on a good day, have even got RG6 (tv
cable) through one that didn't have any other wires in it. Pushing 12-2
w/ground or 14-2 w/ground romex through a similar distance isn't a big
deal unless you've got corners to deal with... Sigh... Your mileage may
vary, depending upon your patience and luck. By the way, it is much more
difficult to push wire uphill than down, or even on the level... Of
course, with a really long run, I'd build it up 20 feet at a time, or push
a pull-tape through it (or blow a nylon through using air pressure) before
pulling a bundle through the PVC.

Another possibility is the seamless black flexible pipe. I've been quite
successful in pushing a single coax through a 1 1/4" diameter 25' long
section of black flexible pipe....

There are lots of possibilities, but for something that is a single coax
run of only 20 feet, I might tend towards just direct burial of a good
grade of coax and worry about it in a few years. Otherwise, it's probably
good to use conduit, even if you have to periodically go out and blow out
the "condensation" the original poster was worried about.

--Rick AH7H