Old January 24th 05, 01:29 PM

Default How does a "cross needle" swr work?

I just bought one that measures forward and reflected power and at the
bottom is the swr calculation.

Is the antenna's swr where the two needles meet?

Also the switch on it for 2 meters says "144 mhz" So I should tune my
radio to this when tuning? What if I want my antenna tuned for 146 mhz.

It is an MFJ unit. Yes I did read the instructions but they left alot
to be desired for a first timer.

Old January 24th 05, 01:53 PM
Dave

wrote in message
ps.com...
I just bought one that measures forward and reflected power and at the
bottom is the swr calculation.

Is the antenna's swr where the two needles meet?

yes, look behind where the needles cross and there should be a set of lines
calibrated in swr.

Also the switch on it for 2 meters says "144 mhz" So I should tune my
radio to this when tuning? What if I want my antenna tuned for 146 mhz.

no, you set your radio for whatever frequency you want to operate on and
check the swr there. they label it 144mhz just to say what band it can
handle.

Old January 24th 05, 02:53 PM
Cecil Moore

Is the antenna's swr where the two needles meet?

That's usually the case for MFJ cross-needle stuff. The
somewhat red vertical lines on my MFJ-949E indicate SWR
where the forward and reflected needles cross.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 27th 05, 02:42 PM

I don't mean to be picky here, but didn't you learn this kind of thing in
your training for the licence and exams.

How to work satelites? [email protected] General 3 December 13th 04 08:28 PM
Best Home Base Work Reynard Policy 0 November 9th 04 04:54 PM
Here it is-BPL full rollout in Va Brian Kelly Policy 459 December 2nd 03 12:40 PM
R/S Solderless BNC Connectors: How Can They Possibly Work Well ? Robert11 Antenna 10 November 22nd 03 11:46 PM
Geller Media [email protected] Broadcasting 0 September 19th 03 09:03 PM