Old January 27th 05, 10:15 PM
SideBand

Default 160M Mobile

Anyone out there know of any decent solution to getting 160M working in
a mobile? The application is a semi-truck. I've got the Iron Horses for
75, 40, 20, 15, and 10M, but I'd like to work something out for 160
meters that will work on the truck.

I know I'm going to take an efficiency hit, but you're doing that for
everything except 10M on a Semi anyway.. Just so I can get a signal out
there to be heard, in the off chance.

ANY suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

73 de AI8W, Chris
Old January 27th 05, 10:25 PM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

"SideBand" wrote in message
m...
Anyone out there know of any decent solution to getting 160M working in a
mobile? The application is a semi-truck. I've got the Iron Horses for 75,
40, 20, 15, and 10M, but I'd like to work something out for 160 meters
that will work on the truck.

I know I'm going to take an efficiency hit, but you're doing that for
everything except 10M on a Semi anyway.. Just so I can get a signal out
there to be heard, in the off chance.

ANY suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

73 de AI8W, Chris

Big screwdriver with a proper top hat and a good impedance match at
resonance.
The resonant feed point impedance must be a bit less than 10 ohms.
I recall in QST a while back a guy who'd done WAS on 160 from his pickup, so
it can work.
73
H.

Old January 27th 05, 10:37 PM
SideBand

H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H wrote:
"SideBand" wrote in message
m...

[...]

And where, on a semi-truck, would you mount a big screwdriver with a
proper top-hat? I'm not discounting the suggestion, but at the same
time, I can't think of where I could possibly mount one.

I was thinking something more along the lines of a mono bander that I
could mount on one of the mirrors, that wouldn't be too large. Say,
something with a loading coil somewhere along its length, and something
that wouldn't be too expensive (Hopefully less than $50.00 US) to
construct. However, I'm not sure that's the best solution, either, which
is why I asked here.

A screwdriver is not in my near future. I'm recovering financially from
3 months off last year due to a gallstone the size of a golf ball, and
an accident in the truck earlier this month.

Thanks for the suggestion. Any other thoughts?

de AI8W, Chris
Old January 27th 05, 10:44 PM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:37:24 GMT, SideBand wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Any other thoughts?

Hi Chris,

Is this a tractor/trailer rig? Put a monster whip up front and pull
it back to the trailer (where-ever) with a monster coil at the end and
make the trailer the -ahem- top hat.

Everything that could go wrong probably will....

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old January 27th 05, 11:04 PM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:37:24 GMT, SideBand wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Any other thoughts?

Hi Chris,

Is this a tractor/trailer rig? Put a monster whip up front and pull
it back to the trailer (where-ever) with a monster coil at the end and
make the trailer the -ahem- top hat.

Everything that could go wrong probably will....

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard, you beat me to it.
H.

Old January 27th 05, 11:08 PM
SideBand

Richard Clark wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:37:24 GMT, SideBand wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Any other thoughts?

Hi Chris,

Is this a tractor/trailer rig? Put a monster whip up front and pull
it back to the trailer (where-ever) with a monster coil at the end and
make the trailer the -ahem- top hat.

Everything that could go wrong probably will....

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

That's a great idea.. A long wire along the trailer... It's a flatbed,
too, so I could use the stake posts to hold PVC pipes for antenna
supports... Hrm.. Now if only the AH-4 tuner for my 706 would do 160M, I
could just set up the wire and tune it, much like I did with the one on
the old truck.

I'll have to give that one some thought.

Thanks Richard.

de AI8W, Chris
Old January 27th 05, 11:14 PM
Reg Edwards

"SideBand" wrote in message
m...
Anyone out there know of any decent solution to getting 160M working in
a mobile? The application is a semi-truck. I've got the Iron Horses for
75, 40, 20, 15, and 10M, but I'd like to work something out for 160
meters that will work on the truck.

I know I'm going to take an efficiency hit, but you're doing that for
everything except 10M on a Semi anyway.. Just so I can get a signal out
there to be heard, in the off chance.

ANY suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

73 de AI8W, Chris

=============================

For design and performance of a 160 meter band vertical antenna, download
program HELICAL3 from website below. There are other loaded vertical
programs..

Use 1.5" or 2" diameter plastic pipe, with helical winding of thick enamel
insulated wire, mounted on vehicle roof, as tall as possible, stayed, with
short, top caapacitance tuning rod.

Range on 160m with a few hundred watts = 100 miles at noon on groundwave.

1700 miles on very quiet, wiinter nights at midnight via F-layer.
----
.................................................. ..........
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ
For Free Radio Design Software go to
http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp
.................................................. ..........

Old January 27th 05, 11:49 PM
David G. Nagel

Reg Edwards wrote:

"SideBand" wrote in message
m...

[...]

.................................................. .........
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ
For Free Radio Design Software go to
http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp

Chris's problem is that he has to keep the tip of the antenna below
about 13.5 feet from the ground to be legal with the various DOT's.

Dave WD9BDZ
Old January 27th 05, 11:52 PM

http://moonrakerukltd.com/amateur/mobile_w.htm

7 feet/160 METRE HELICAL WHIP WITH 3/8 BASE, BANDWIDTH (15 kHz) £49.95