Old March 10th 05, 10:59 PM

Default Double Bazooka question

CC&R's at my current QTH requires me to use an antenna that is not visible.
My choices are to either use an attic installed antenna or be off the air. I prefer the former.
So, I plan to install a 20 meter double bazooka in the attic, and such a small antenna
will allow me to use an inverted V configuration, even up there. I used bazooka's 30+ years ago
with success on 80 and 40 so my prejudices are running that way.
Question:
Does anyone out there have experience or thoughts about feeding multiple
double bazooka's with a single coax line?

Dave, N6PZ

Old March 10th 05, 11:26 PM

CC&R's at my current QTH requires me to use an antenna that is not

visible.
My choices are to either use an attic installed antenna or be off the

air. I prefer the former.
So, I plan to install a 20 meter double bazooka in the attic, and

such a small antenna
will allow me to use an inverted V configuration, even up there. I

used bazooka's 30+ years ago
with success on 80 and 40 so my prejudices are running that way.
Question:
Does anyone out there have experience or thoughts about feeding

multiple
double bazooka's with a single coax line?

Dave, N6PZ

Hi Dave, The Double Bazooka's claim to fame was full coverage of the
band of interest with a good match. With a simple wire dipole, you can
not do this on 80m or 40m. Suggest you read W2DU's "Reflections II" to
see why a Bazooka has a broader bandwidth. A Bazooka is not as
efficient as a wire dipole on 80m and 40m, but it has bandwidth.
Since you are interested in 20m up, a simple wire dipole will do
everything a bazooka will, and is not nearly as difficult to construct.
Especially if you are feeding multiple antennas with a single coax.
Gary N4AST

Old March 10th 05, 11:50 PM
Cecil Moore

lid wrote:
Does anyone out there have experience or thoughts about feeding multiple
double bazooka's with a single coax line?

A dipole at least 3/8WL on the lowest frequency of operation
and fed with ladder-line to a tuner will do what you want.
Just keep the ladder-line a few inches away from metal.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 11th 05, 01:09 AM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:59:23 GMT,
wrote:
Does anyone out there have experience or thoughts about feeding multiple
double bazooka's with a single coax line?

Hi Dave,

A simple Fan Dipole will do as much, and more efficiently. Should be
a slam dunk to construct in the attic if you have room for "bazookas."

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old March 11th 05, 01:16 AM
Dan Richardson

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:59:23 GMT,
wrote:

CC&R's at my current QTH requires me to use an antenna that is not visible.
My choices are to either use an attic installed antenna or be off the air. I prefer the former.
So, I plan to install a 20 meter double bazooka in the attic, and such a small antenna
will allow me to use an inverted V configuration, even up there. I used bazooka's 30+ years ago
with success on 80 and 40 so my prejudices are running that way.
Question:
Does anyone out there have experience or thoughts about feeding multiple
double bazooka's with a single coax line?

Dave, N6PZ

Dave,

Before you spend all that time, effort and $$$ I suggest you read
this:

http://www.w2du.com/Reflections2Chap...bleBazooka.pdf

Danny,
K6MHE

Old March 20th 05, 04:30 PM
Walter Maxwell

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:16:47 -0800, Dan Richardson
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:59:23 GMT,
wrote:

CC&R's at my current QTH requires me to use an antenna that is not visible.
My choices are to either use an attic installed antenna or be off the air. I prefer the former.
So, I plan to install a 20 meter double bazooka in the attic, and such a small antenna
will allow me to use an inverted V configuration, even up there. I used bazooka's 30+ years ago
with success on 80 and 40 so my prejudices are running that way.
Question:
Does anyone out there have experience or thoughts about feeding multiple
double bazooka's with a single coax line?

Dave, N6PZ

Dave,

Before you spend all that time, effort and $$$ I suggest you read
this:

http://www.w2du.com/Reflections2Chap...bleBazooka.pdf

Danny,
K6MHE

Hi Danny, thanks for the reference to my writing. However, when I
click on the url you show above it brings back an error msg.

I believe anyone who contemplates wasting his time on building a
double bazooka owes it to himself to read my Chapter 18. To find it my
web page is www.w2du.com. Click on "Read Chapters from Reflections 2,"
and then click on Chapter 18.

Walt, Maxwell W2DU
Old March 20th 05, 08:25 PM
Dan Richardson

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:30:44 GMT, Walter Maxwell wrote:

[snip]

K6MHE

Hi Danny, thanks for the reference to my writing. However, when I
click on the url you show above it brings back an error msg.

I believe anyone who contemplates wasting his time on building a
double bazooka owes it to himself to read my Chapter 18. To find it my
web page is www.w2du.com. Click on "Read Chapters from Reflections 2,"
and then click on Chapter 18.

Walt, Maxwell W2DU

By golly you're right Walter! Strange, I used copy and paste for the
url. Guess a strange bit got in somewhere.

Very 73,

Danny, K6MHE

Old March 20th 05, 10:19 PM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

"Dan Richardson" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:30:44 GMT, Walter Maxwell wrote:

[snip]

K6MHE

Hi Danny, thanks for the reference to my writing. However, when I
click on the url you show above it brings back an error msg.

I believe anyone who contemplates wasting his time on building a
double bazooka owes it to himself to read my Chapter 18. To find it my
web page is www.w2du.com. Click on "Read Chapters from Reflections 2,"
and then click on Chapter 18.

Walt, Maxwell W2DU

By golly you're right Walter! Strange, I used copy and paste for the
url. Guess a strange bit got in somewhere.

Very 73,

Danny, K6MHE

Walt
Give credit where it's due.
There is an "effect". But it doesn't widen the 2:1 SWR bandwidth.
It merely makes the negligible reflected power near resonance nearly vanish
if you get the resonance of ALL the parts perfectly equal.
An interesting academic exercise, but no magic solution.
There is no free lunch.

OTOH

I LOVE my SteppIR 4 element beam!!!

73