Old May 11th 05, 09:18 PM
Doug McLaren

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

| ... and I should have pointed out, "There is nothing wrong with
| women like that..." Just stops everyone from confusion and being
| able to claim, "I didn't know he/she was like that!"
|
| However, I am involved directly in technical classes at a
| jr. college... the ratio of women to men is VERY LOW at higher
| classes--this is fact--not fiction--and my comment was more to that
| area...

In college I studied physics and astronomy -- few women there.

And now, my hobbies are R/C planes and ham radio -- there's few women
in these hobbies, especially flying R/C. In fact, I think I've seen
no more than two women flying R/C planes. Ham radio is a little
better, but not much.

At work, I do computer support and sys-admin stuff. There's a few
women here, but they're outnumbered by the men at least five to one.
In retrospect, it sounds like it's amazing that I ever met any women
and got married at all -- most of the things I do seem to be male
dominated!

Over the years, I've learned that generally, the few women that are in
male dominated areas tend to get a lot of attention from the guys.
Not because they're good at what they're doing, but because they're
women.

If a woman is doing one of these things, it's probably because she
likes it. She probably wants to be treated as an equal, but instead
many men treat her like she's special -- but only because she's a
woman.

| pointing out that technical minded men just might miss female
| colleges...

Did you mean to say colleagues rather than colleges? Certainly, in
college, the very few women in the physics classes were certainly not
missed by the guys. And the last women I saw flying an R/C plane was
young and attractive, and the guys were paying her all sorts of
attention. (To be fair, in that case she didn't seem to mind. I
think she was just there with her boyfriend, and he talked her into
trying it.)

`Where have you been all my life?' is something that I've heard of
being used at bars. And generally women don't really like lines -- it
suggests that they're stupid, that they're going to fall for that old
line or something. It's probably not so bad in a bar, where the
man:woman ratio is probably closer to unity.

But if a woman enters the ham radio hobby (or R/C hobby, or
engineering program in college, or ...) she's suddenly inundated by
guys asking her where she's been all their life. Some like it, but
most don't. Especially when they want to be taken seriously for their
mind or their skills, not for the fact that they're women.

| ... indeed, I think a sexist comment would be one discouraging women
| from certain areas of society--not encouraging them--and pointing
| out they are desirable to have there...

.... but only because they're a woman. Or do you ask the men where
they've been all your life too?

I've posted questions here about satellite antennas here somewhat
recently. I don't recall anybody asking where I'd been all their
life.

| or, a condensending/shallow/protectionist comment for womens'
| benefits...

I assume that's how you saw my comment? At least I made an effort to
answer her question. I'm hardly a protectionist -- I'm just
suggesting that you treat the women just like you treat the men. Do
you regularly walk up to women you don't know and ask them `where
they've been all your life?'

There's probably more women online than you realize. However, a lot
of them go by gender neutral or male names just because they don't
like the attention that being openly female gets them.

I'm not saying you were trying to be condescending, but to many women,
that's exactly how it comes across. And since there's so few of them,
and so many men, it happens a lot to each of them. And so quite often
women get tired of it, and either hide or just find another hobby.

To keep this at least somewhat on topic ...

The FT-60R she has, I don't think it'll do full duplex. The most
popular LEO 2m/70cm antenna for handheld use appears to be the
http://www.arrowantennas.com/146-437.html (or something that's
basically the same), and by default it has two coax plugs. If she has
a scanner, she could transmit on one plug, and plug the scanner into
another, and work full duplex that way, and she won't even need to buy
the duplexer/diplexer.

--
Doug McLaren, , AD5RH
Sleep is just a bad substitute for coffee ...

Amateur Satellites Lost in Space Mike Terry Shortwave 0 January 8th 05 10:28 AM
SW and satellites from out in the bush uncle arnie Shortwave 13 November 17th 04 06:36 AM
Gene Scott, satellites and MW Honus Shortwave 19 August 22nd 04 08:25 PM
Gene Scott, satellites and MW Honus Dx 8 August 18th 04 10:22 AM
Gene Scott, satellites and MW Honus Dx 0 August 16th 04 08:49 PM