RadioBanter

-   -   Reflector Vs Director (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/70696-reflector-vs-director.html)

[email protected] May 12th 05 05:56 AM

"John Smith" wrote in message
Well, I am not as bad as those guy with their "photon projecting
antennas"--my antennas propagate a wave though a medium-

Very good, An antena array is a collection of antennas all of which
transmit interferring waves that are both additive and interfering negatives
in the far field In other words just a collection of dipole radiators. which
is then
termed as an "array" which may or may not qualify as a "beam".
For a Yagi style antenna position is all important which is not necessarily
true
for all antenna arrays, especially those of non liear form.
.. In fact Uda and another guy wrote up the original design and
Yagi stepped in later to provide a translation into English .
For me I cannot see a relationship between positions of radiators other
than
with the Yagi and where the terms used suffered in the translation yet still
gave a
a mental picture that loosely matched a mirror or a reflector as an
explanation.
of how gain can occur. It would appear from the answers received
that a true definition has not yet been agreed upon that is all encompassing
in true electrical terms.
Cheers and beers
Art

better word--I use ether to describe that medium... but, if anyone knows
better name--I am open... grin

Warmest regards,
John
--
Sit down the six-pack!!! STEP AWAY!!! ...and go do something...

" wrote in
message
| Yes, I see that Cecil, but I suspect he is not a ham
| and thus would not know the difference between
| different arrays. But if he is really looking for "Aliens"
| he may well be looking in the right direction but his LED's
| have a skewed correct "reflector".
| With respect to your two element example you stated that
| they were both driven. When coupled correctly it is only
| necessary to feed one element in an array and allow the
| coupled element to be of similar phase and if possible
| of a higher current flow to give you that 3 db additive
| advantage . Plus single digit elevation angle for max gain
| even tho the array is fed at 1 WL height.( 20 metres)
| I could send you actual model details if it is of interest.
| Or a photo if that interests you more.
| Regards
|
| Art
|

| "Cecil Moore" wrote in message
| wrote:
| I wonder who was the first to assign these terms
| Or was it a poor translation from Japanese ( Uda and Yagi) ?
|
| Please note that John didn't mention Yagi's. He only
| mentioned "beams". :-)
| --
| 73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

120,000+

John Smith May 12th 05 06:25 AM

Oh yes, the important spacing--we agree on that alright (the rest too--I see
that physical/electrical length as important to--but "electrical length" and
"magnetic field shape" are related on an almost linear scale), but what is
"in" that "spacing"--now there is the nut of this... that "magnetic field"
is not a "proton projection" and my antenna does not "glow"--and that
"space" ain't no wire--or is it?

Warmest regards,
John

Richard Harrison May 12th 05 03:04 PM

John Smith wrote:
"Oh yes, the important spacing--"

Proximity determines induction in a parasiteic element. Far from an
energy source, the parasite captures little energy and re-radiates
little. The mutual impedance between elements is small when spacing is
large.

A parasite must be nearly resonant to become excited. Behavior is
similar to a reed in a resonant-reed frequency indicator. The resonant
reed is strongly excited. Other reeds are little excited at the wrong
frequency. An out of tune antenna element has its current impeded by
reactance. A resonant element has no reactance.

Detuning a parasitic element is slight if excitation is to be
maintained, but it is enough to make the element reflect or direct as
desired.

Magnetic fields are naturally produced around current-carrying
conductors and around displacement currents too. Electric and magnetic
force lines are mutually perpendicular. In space, the plane containing
crossed electric and magnetic lines is called the wave front. Travel
direction of the front is perpendicular to the crossed electric and
magnetic lines.

Wave theory accurately predicted radio behavior before anyone thought of
acceleration causing photon emissions.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Asimov May 12th 05 03:30 PM

"John Smith" bravely wrote to "All" (11 May 05 22:25:13)
--- on the heady topic of " Reflector Vs Director"

The only thing I know is that an antenna is a tricky compromise
between a myriad of physical constants that make it up. Simply
changing the dimensions of an element will affect the optimum spacing
for maximum gain. But then so too having maximum gain as a goal will
often reduce bandwidth. So some compromise to gain/bandwidth must be
made to have a real antenna at the end of the process. Many such
mutually defeating compromises must be juggled with to achieve this.
Then, as if this wasn't enough, one must add the interaction with the
environment, thinks like weather, proximity to objects, noise, etc.

A*s*i*m*o*v

JS Reply-To: "John Smith"
JS Xref: aeinews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:30174

JS Oh yes, the important spacing--we agree on that alright (the rest
JS too--I see that physical/electrical length as important to--but
JS "electrical length" and "magnetic field shape" are related on an
JS almost linear scale), but what is "in" that "spacing"--now there is
JS the nut of this... that "magnetic field" is not a "proton projection"
JS and my antenna does not "glow"--and that "space" ain't no wire--or is
JS it?

.... Children come from God. He can't stand the noise either.

John Smith May 12th 05 04:02 PM

If I lay two marbles on a flat sheet on a bed, and their spacing is close--I
take my finger and push one marble down into the material of the bed--so as
it deforms or "warps" the shape of the bedding, the other marble is "pulled"
towards it--if the two marbles are far apart--the second is unaffected...

If ether has a property similar to that bed, I can warp that ether and cause
objects to be affected--in relationship to their proximity to the "warp" I
am causing...

If I place a piece of paper over a magnet--gently sprinkle iron powder over
the paper--I see lines--claimed to be a "magnetic field"....

.... do you think these "lines" are photons (waves?)shooting from one end of
the magnet to the other (of course they would actually be lying outside the
metal of the magnet in a "static" state).... or is this iron powder a
"warping" of the ether I am looking at?

Warmest regards,
John

Jim Kelley May 12th 05 06:04 PM

Richard Clark wrote:
What would you see if you looked into a conjugate mirror?

You need to define the particular aspect being conjugated. For example,
the person I see in the mirror appears to be right handed. In another
sense the object in the mirror moves synchronously with me as if it were
coupled to me. Any mirror exhibits conjugate behavior in some sense.
Perhaps you're alluding to phase conjugation - an interesting effect.

Hint(s): it won't matter much if you are holding a flashlight OR a
searchlight. No matter of semantics will change the perception
either. Nothing to close couple (you are close enough already). No
issue of size (as long as you can see the mirror frame - but having
said that, this will then turn the answer on the shape of the frame I
suppose). No impact will be discovered if there's another mirror
behind it. No one needs to worry about translation problems from
japanese. You won't find the answer in Kraus (or the IEEE dictionary
I suspect). Computation of gain comes with the answer (and in all
likelihood so will considerable error).

Effluvium for the sake of effluence, and vice versa.

ac6xg

Cecil Moore May 12th 05 08:01 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:
the person I see in the mirror appears to be right handed.

Hey Jim, if a mirror reverses left and right,
why doesn't it also reverse up and down? :-)
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

John Smith May 12th 05 08:04 PM

Cecil:

That is easy, our eyes actually see an image which IS upside down... the
brain reverses this for us... when we look in the mirror--it stops the
reversal!!! Tricky dern thing!!! grin

Warmest regards,
John
--

News==----
| http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Jim Kelley May 12th 05 08:52 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:
Jim Kelley wrote:

the person I see in the mirror appears to be right handed.

Hey Jim, if a mirror reverses left and right,
why doesn't it also reverse up and down? :-)

:-) Excellent.

ac6xg

Asimov May 12th 05 09:10 PM

"John Smith" bravely wrote to "All" (12 May 05 08:02:11)
--- on the heady topic of " Reflector Vs Director"

JS Reply-To: "John Smith"
JS Xref: aeinews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:30186

JS If I place a piece of paper over a magnet--gently sprinkle iron powder
JS over the paper--I see lines--claimed to be a "magnetic field"....

JS ... do you think these "lines" are photons (waves?)shooting from one
JS end of the magnet to the other (of course they would actually be lying
JS outside the metal of the magnet in a "static" state).... or is this
JS iron powder a "warping" of the ether I am looking at?

The lines are the after-effects of placing the iron powder in the path
of "virtual" photons. These are photons that exist too briefly to be
detected. Spacetime is not an empty vacuum but is a frothing of energy
and virtual particles of all kinds. The virtual photons responsible
for the observed permanent magnet's field travel only a small fraction
of a wavelength but their wavelength is almost infinite.
(i.e. c/F=3dinfinite, when F=3dzero).

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?" -George Carlin