Old May 31st 05, 12:22 AM
Tom Donaly

Cecil Moore wrote:

Fred W4JLE wrote:

Assuming I have an antenna that is perfect on 3.8 MHz. Perfect being
defined, as I am feeding it with exactly 1/2 electrical wave length of 50
Ohm feedline and it is 1:1 SWR measured at the source end.

What would the SWR be if I substituted the 50 Ohm feedline with a 1/2
wavelength of 72 Ohm feedline?

The SWR on the 72 ohm feedline would measure 1.44:1. You do
have an SWR meter calibrated for 72 ohms, don't you? :-)
Your 50 ohm SWR meter will measure 1:1, but as Reg says,
it is merely measuring the degree of match to your
transmitter designed for 50 ohm loads.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

It was stipulated in the original post that the swr was being
measured at the source end for the 50 ohm line. If all one changes is
the impedance of a 1/2 electrical wavelength line, and nothing else,
the answer is 1:1. Did not say anything about measuring the swr
anywhere but at the source. Whatever the antenna Z is in the 50 ohm
example that gives a 1:1 match, determines the swr bridge
characteristics. If the antenna Z was 72 ohms, then the bridge is 72
ohms for a 1:1 match. Change the transmission line to 72 ohms, still a
1:1.
Gary N4AST

VSWR stands for Voltage Standing Wave Ratio. It's supposed to be the
ratio of the greatest voltage on a transmission line to the least
voltage on the same line. On the line with a 72 ohm Z0, and a 50 ohm
load, there exists a standing wave, and the ratio of maximum to minimum
is 1.44 whether you measure it with a 50 ohm bridge at the beginning
or not. If you define SWR as what a 50 ohm SWR bridge measures, you
haven't quite grasped the concept.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old May 31st 05, 04:58 AM
Cecil Moore

It was stipulated in the original post that the swr was being
measured at the source end for the 50 ohm line.

He said, "WHAT WOULD THE SWR BE ...?" not what would a
50 ohm SWR meter measure. The SWR would be 1.44:1 on
the 72 ohm feedline no matter what the 50 ohm SWR meter
erroneously measured.

If all one changes is
the impedance of a 1/2 electrical wavelength line, and nothing else,
the answer is 1:1. Did not say anything about measuring the swr
anywhere but at the source.

"What would the SWR be if I substituted the 50 Ohm feedline
with a 1/2 wavelength of 72 Ohm feedline?"

Did he say, "What SWR would be measured?" NO!!!

Did he say, "What would the SWR be ...?" YES!!!

***THE SWR WOULD BE 1.44:1*** on the 72 ohm feedline.
You guys are not answering the question that he asked.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 31st 05, 05:07 AM
Cecil Moore

Reg Edwards wrote:
You will be pleased to hear I'm back on Sierra Valley, Californian Red
tonight.

Peter Vella Merlot for me. My doctor told me to drink two
glasses of red wine a day so I use ~400 ml iced-tea glasses.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 31st 05, 05:09 AM
Cecil Moore

Tom Donaly wrote:
VSWR stands for Voltage Standing Wave Ratio. It's supposed to be the
ratio of the greatest voltage on a transmission line to the least
voltage on the same line. On the line with a 72 ohm Z0, and a 50 ohm
load, there exists a standing wave, and the ratio of maximum to minimum
is 1.44 whether you measure it with a 50 ohm bridge at the beginning or
not. If you define SWR as what a 50 ohm SWR bridge measures, you haven't
quite grasped the concept.

And Fred didn't ask what an SWR bridge would measure.
He asked: "What would the SWR be ... ?" You're right.
The SWR would be 1.44:1.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 31st 05, 05:23 AM
Cecil Moore

Cecil Moore wrote:

Sorry, Tom, somehow I screwed up the attributes.
I don't think you posted what I responded to.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 31st 05, 05:24 AM
John Smith

OK CECIL!!!

Leave it up to you to pull the rug out from under me...
If I have a transmitter that has 50 ohm out, and it is going to hook to
a 50 ohm cable (and I can't see how this coax is terminated) why would I
ever choose anything other than a 50 ohm calibrated swr meter to measure
it with?

Is that what I have seen on FS meters before (a rise in apparent
radiation from the coax shield--and yet match looks good) and the 1/2
wave coax is really now part of the antenna?

And, if the meter didn't give me the right reading, and cooked my "BEEG
LEENEAIR" could I sue the manufacturer, buy a yacht and live in the
Bahamas, drinking Peter Vella Merlot? grin

Warmest regards,
John

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Tom Donaly wrote:
VSWR stands for Voltage Standing Wave Ratio. It's supposed to be the
ratio of the greatest voltage on a transmission line to the least
voltage on the same line. On the line with a 72 ohm Z0, and a 50 ohm
load, there exists a standing wave, and the ratio of maximum to
minimum is 1.44 whether you measure it with a 50 ohm bridge at the
beginning or not. If you define SWR as what a 50 ohm SWR bridge
measures, you haven't quite grasped the concept.

And Fred didn't ask what an SWR bridge would measure.
He asked: "What would the SWR be ... ?" You're right.
The SWR would be 1.44:1.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

120,000+ Newsgroups
=----

Old May 31st 05, 05:29 AM
John Smith

Cecil:

I screwed that up... in the above, should have been...
"If I have a transmitter that has 50 ohm out, and it is going to hook to
a 72 ohm cable..."

The 72 ohm cable being t he only difference... and point being--don't I
only care I am presenting a 50 ohm load to the transmitter?

Warmest regards,
John

Old May 31st 05, 05:55 AM
Cecil Moore

John Smith wrote:
Leave it up to you to pull the rug out from under me...
If I have a transmitter that has 50 ohm out, and it is going to hook to
a 50 ohm cable (and I can't see how this coax is terminated) why would I
ever choose anything other than a 50 ohm calibrated swr meter to measure
it with?

Some of us want to know what the SWR on the feedline is.
That's how we calculate feedline losses. I get a kick out
of some ham saying, "I'm running a 66' dipole on 75m and
my SWR is 1.1:1." All that means is that the virtual
impedance at the tuner input is probably 45 ohms or 55
ohms. But what is the SWR at the output of the tuner
where it matters the most?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp