Old June 7th 05, 02:43 PM

Default Masthead TV amplifier - VCR interference

Please help,

I installed a second TV set and a 2-way splitter. The signal was then
slightly too weak and I installed a UHF/VHF 25 dB masthead amplifier. I
have only a UHF antenna so I turned the VHF amplification all the way
down. The splitter is at the end of a fairly long antenna (20m?) cable.
I receive analog television.

I have a very good, clear signal on both TV sets but there is a slight
problem with my VCR.

I feed the antenna signal through the VCR to the TV. The TV channels
are tuned to the antenna signal and I tuned one TV channel to the VCR
output signal. I have a DVD player on the TV AV input. The VCR output
signal shows many thin, faint, horisontal, equally spaced (5mm?),
slowly scrolling lines across the screen on all channels. I don't
remember seeing the lines on a previously recorded playback. This
interference appeared when I installed the amplifier. I tried turning
the amplification down but it does not seem to make a difference. I
also see the lines when the VCR channel is selected and the TV menu is
active, that is, with no received picture displayed.

The VCR is not on the DC-pass output of the splitter.

What should I do? Will a TV trap filter help?

Flip

Pretoria

Old June 8th 05, 07:17 PM
Tam/WB2TT

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You might try an experiment. Temorarily disconnect the DVD player, and then
connect the VCR output to the TV A/V input. What you are doing now puts two
sets of filters in tandem. If the A/V input plays better, you can get an A/V
2 way switch to select between the DVD player and VCR.

Is there some reson you don't just have the VCR in pass through mode, and
tune with the TV? Unfortunately, I am doing what you are, except that it is
through the AV input, because the tuner in the TV does not work. The picture
is not as good as it was with the TV tuner, probably because the VCR has
less bandwidth, even though it is a JVC Super VHS VCR.

Note that if you have some local stations, and some weak stations, you may
be overloading the preamp. Here in the US there is a problem with TV Channel
6, which is adjacent to the FM broadcast band

Tam/WB2TT