Old June 18th 05, 12:13 PM
khanna

Default appropiate blun design for yagi at 2.4 ghz

hi,
I am designing a yagi antenna at 2.4 ghz .I am in this antenna business
for just past 2 months.I am constantly looking for an appropiate balun
design.
Could anybody help me in finding these question-

Which design will suit for my purpose ?(ferrite core/ferrite rod or
any other thing?
As per my information 1:1 current balun may suit .Am I right ? If yes
then any other specification about it ?
where can I find complete DESIGN DETAIL about this perticular balun
(this is a bigger problem for me).

I want to request all antenna studs ,please help me. I have just 10
days to finish this project.

Regards,
Gaurav jain

Old June 18th 05, 03:00 PM
Wes Stewart

On 18 Jun 2005 04:13:38 -0700, "khanna"
wrote:

hi,
I am designing a yagi antenna at 2.4 ghz .I am in this antenna business
for just past 2 months.I am constantly looking for an appropiate balun
design.
Could anybody help me in finding these question-

Which design will suit for my purpose ?(ferrite core/ferrite rod or
any other thing?

At this frequency I would not consider ferrites.

As per my information 1:1 current balun may suit .Am I right ? If yes
then any other specification about it ?
where can I find complete DESIGN DETAIL about this perticular balun
(this is a bigger problem for me).

I want to request all antenna studs ,please help me. I have just 10
days to finish this project.

The slotted coax balun would be an option. I don't have a ready
reference, but you might look for the NBS standard gain antenna, as it
uses such a balun.

Also here is another possibility:

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/projects/sk...dCoaxBalun.pdf

Old June 18th 05, 03:08 PM
Dave

you could use a gamma match that requires no balun. or you could use a T
match with a 1/2 wave phasing line that acts as the balun.

Old June 18th 05, 05:09 PM
Wes Stewart

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:08:46 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

you could use a gamma match that requires no balun. or you could use a T
match with a 1/2 wave phasing line that acts as the balun.

Hmmm. Since the dipole is going to be about 1.4 inches long, how do
you propose to do this?

.. .

Old June 18th 05, 05:19 PM
Wes Stewart

wrote:

hi,
I am designing a yagi antenna at 2.4 ghz .I am in this antenna business
for just past 2 months.I am constantly looking for an appropiate balun
design.
Could anybody help me in finding these question-

Which design will suit for my purpose ?(ferrite core/ferrite rod or
any other thing?
As per my information 1:1 current balun may suit .Am I right ? If yes
then any other specification about it ?
where can I find complete DESIGN DETAIL about this perticular balun
(this is a bigger problem for me).

I want to request all antenna studs ,please help me. I have just 10
days to finish this project.

You might also consider a loop Yagi.

http://cheatthezone.tripod.com/wireless/loopyagi.html

Google for others.

The loop has a "built-in" balun.

Old June 18th 05, 05:32 PM
Dave

i would assume that since you are working with microwaves you have micro
tools appropriate for the job.

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:08:46 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

you could use a gamma match that requires no balun. or you could use a T
match with a 1/2 wave phasing line that acts as the balun.

Hmmm. Since the dipole is going to be about 1.4 inches long, how do
you propose to do this?

. ..

Old June 18th 05, 06:57 PM
John Smith

Wes:

How about a "conductive pen", one whos ink contains micro-fine silver
particles, just draw the darn thing on an non-conductive surface and
hook up the feedline!!!

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 18th 05, 07:20 PM
Roger Conroy

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:08:46 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

you could use a gamma match that requires no balun. or you could use a T
match with a 1/2 wave phasing line that acts as the balun.

Hmmm. Since the dipole is going to be about 1.4 inches long, how do
you propose to do this?

Etch it on pc board. Come to think of it - at that wavelenth - simply etch
the entire antenna on a board.

73
Roger ZR3RC