Old August 11th 05, 12:59 PM
Richard Fry

"Marc Delporte" wrote
By tracing the directional pattern of the antenna system on a sheet of
tissue paper, then placing the paper over the azimuthal map,
the "coverage" of the antenna will be readily evident.

_________________

The "coverage" provided by an antenna is defined by much more than its
radiation pattern. Overlaying the radiation pattern on a map is almost
useless in determining coverage except in a very general way.

Some of the other factors determining coverage a

- Frequency
- Time of day
- Season of year
- Sunspot cycles
- Terrain profiles
- Earth conductivity

Coverage software is available that considers the most important factors. I
am familiar with the versions applying to AM/FM/TV broadcast, but not for
ham radio. I imagine someone else will post info leading you to that.

RF

Old August 11th 05, 01:15 PM
SignalFerret

What you're looking for is a program called Radio Mobile Deluxe, by VE2DBE.
It can be found at http://www.cplus.org/rmw/english1.html.

Robert
N3LGC

"Marc Delporte" wrote in message
Hello

In ARRL 1974 :

By tracing the directional pattern of the antenna system on a sheet of
tissue paper, then placing the paper over the azimuthal map,

the "coverage" of the antenna will be readily evident.

I suppose that in 2005, this could be done with computers !

I'm looking for such software !

Any ideas, any experiences ?

73'

Marc F1GSN

Old August 11th 05, 01:21 PM
Bob Bob

Marc and Richard

UKWTools will give you coverage plots based on, terrain, ground type,
freq, antenna gain using the Longley-Rice model. Freq coverage I think
is from 20MHz to 20GHz but doesnt (obviously) include ionospheric effects.

It uses SRTM and GTOP30 terrain data, is GPL and available for both
Windows and Linux

It does not give a coverage plot for gain in a specific direction. It
assumes the gain is omnidirectional.

Found here http://www.qslnet.de/member/g4klx in the Software section

Feel free to ask me more about it or provide an output sample,

Cheers Bob VK2YQA/W5

Old August 11th 05, 01:27 PM
Cecil Moore

Marc Delporte wrote:
By tracing the directional pattern of the antenna system on a sheet of
tissue paper, then placing the paper over the azimuthal map,
the "coverage" of the antenna will be readily evident.

I suppose that in 2005, this could be done with computers !
I'm looking for such software ! Any ideas, any experiences ?

The radiation pattern can, of course be obtained from EZNEC.
Free demo version available at www.eznec.com

The azimuthal map can be obtained from PIZZA.
Free at www.tonnesoftware.com

These two can be overlaid to obtain the graphic that you
desire. The latest version of PIZZA is supposed to take the
output data from EZNEC and plot it centered at a point on
the earth. I haven't had time to try the new version yet.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old August 11th 05, 03:22 PM
Marc Delporte

To Cecil W5DXP

Thanks for the "PIZZA"

Works very well.

It was excattly what I was looking for ! :+)

Note : I do have change the date :+)

73'

Marc F1GSN

The radiation pattern can, of course be obtained from EZNEC.

Old August 11th 05, 04:05 PM
Cecil Moore

Marc Delporte wrote:
Note : I do have change the date :+)

Since you were posting from sometime in the
future, I was going to ask you what the next
lottery numbers were going to be. :-)
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old August 11th 05, 04:22 PM
Dan Richardson

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:43:54 +0200, "Marc Delporte"
wrote:

Hello
In ARRL 1974 :

By tracing the directional pattern of the antenna system on a sheet of
tissue paper, then placing the paper over the azimuthal map,

the "coverage" of the antenna will be readily evident.

I suppose that in 2005, this could be done with computers !

I'm looking for such software !

Any ideas, any experiences ?

You can use the VOA's program for producing area coverage maps. It is
free and can be download at:
http://elbert.its.bldrdoc.gov/pc_hf/hfwin32.html
But, it is not easy to use.

MultiNec by Dan Maguire, AC6LA, will interface between NEC programs
like EZNEC and the VOA program making it much easier to use.

MultiNec can be downloaded at:
http://www.qsl.net/ac6la/

Note: To run MultiNec requires that you have Excel installed on you
system.

73,
Danny, K6MHE

email: k6mheatarrldotnet
http://users.adelphia.net/~k6mhe/

Old August 12th 05, 02:27 PM
Marc Delporte

To all

Thanks for the answers.

I should have precise that I was looking to overlaid "HF" horizontal antenna
patterns with azimuthal maps.

2 software for the azimuthal maps :

- from SM3GSJ software GCM : free, simple, and does work well

http://hem.passagen.se/sm3gsj/

- and PIZZA : will be fine if it does interface with Mininec, Eznec, ...

I do understand that HF propagation (long distance, iono, ...) is an other
topic.

However, I would like "first" to understand "the effect of terrain" on the
vertical patterns with software like

Terrain Analysis K6STI or HF Terrain Assessment N6BV (see my specific post
on that).

Note : Thanks for the links for VHF - UHF programs such as : UKW Tools G4KLX
or Radio Mobile Deluxe VE2DBE

73'

Marc F1GSN

"Marc Delporte" a écrit dans le message de news:
Hello

In ARRL 1974 :

Free demo version available at www.eznec.com

The azimuthal map can be obtained from PIZZA.
Free at www.tonnesoftware.com

These two can be overlaid to obtain the graphic that you
desire. The latest version of PIZZA is supposed to take the
output data from EZNEC and plot it centered at a point on
the earth. I haven't had time to try the new version yet.

Wow. I've just tried this using the .csv output from MMANA and
converting via excel. The output of 4NEC2 works as well. I was able plot
the 4 antennas we used on the UK VHF NFD recently very quickly.

There's a couple of bugs. The locator square seems to be one small
square out and I get a glitch on a couple of the patterns. Otherwise
it's pretty good.

73 Brian GM4DIJ
--
Brian Howie