Old November 22nd 03, 11:46 PM
Jim

Actually, these connectors were originally designed for LAN service (IBM
3764) controller. and, have been used
for coax for other services- tho they may not meet everyones needs at 1 gig
range, the still will beat the pants off of
SO-239-PL259, when comes to impedence shifting (transformation). as it
takes a fair amount of length to cause
an impedence transformation (1/4 wavelength for maximum effect), and the
length of the connector parts is quite
small by comparison, should be ok to a fairly high frequency, even figureing
the velocity factors of the coax, and
the connectors dielectriecs! It might not be perfect, but then, these work
great for test cables, and other applications
and, still would beat the crap out of the afformentioned (and misnamed)
"UHF" connectors! Their biggest disadvantage(s)
a 1) that these , unlike a normal bnc, are available in 1 size (read -
one IMPEDENCE) only (remember the
lans versions were at aprox. 90 ohm!) and 2) they won't work with stranded
center conductors. Otherwise, these are
much prefered to adaptors, and connnectorsnwith components that are longer
then the center pins of these bnc's (at least
in my book,) and wouldn't hesitate to use them in place of "UHF" connectors
, especially when useing smaller size
coax. And, for OVERKILL, look at HARRIS radios, useing SMA connectors to
measure BASEBAND LEVELS
to a max of maybe 4 MHz ( stacked SSB signals, 4 KHz apart, maybe 600
channels , tops! ! Need I say more??
Jim NN7K

"John Passaneau" wrote in message
Hi:
I like the crimp on BNC's myself but the solder kind are OK. The twist on

RS
ones are probably OK in low frequency low power but I wouldn't trust them
myself. In fact, I wouldn't buy one except in desperation.
Your concerns are the same ones I have. As I can buy Amphonal crimp BNC's
for $1.85 each anywhere, I would invest $50 in a crimp tool and go that
route.