Old September 17th 05, 05:43 PM
aRKay

Default Using a Fan Dipole for Six Meters

I just purchased a Ten-Tec 1208 Transverter to get my feet wet on six
meters. I would like to use my existing W9INN fan dipole if possible.
At the present time the fan dipole has three sets of wires from the
common feed point for 40/80, 10 MHz and 18 MHz. My plan is to add
another short set of wires cut for 50.125 MHz. Since each of the new
wires will only be 4.67 feet, I plan to use stand offs and run them
close to the 40/80 dipoles. It will be interesting to see if this
really works. Any suggestions for the short stand off insulators?

Dick, AA5VU

aa5vu at arrl.net

Any suggestions on how to keep the new six meter wires from wrapping
around the 40 meter wire in the wind? My plan sounds good until the
wind blows and I have visions of the short six meter wires getting
tangled in the other wires. I would tie them off with additional tie
ropes but it would wind up looking more like an extreme Inverted V
antenna.

AA5VU
Old September 17th 05, 06:51 PM
Cecil Moore

aRKay wrote:
I just purchased a Ten-Tec 1208 Transverter to get my feet wet on six
meters. I would like to use my existing W9INN fan dipole if possible.
At the present time the fan dipole has three sets of wires from the
common feed point for 40/80, 10 MHz and 18 MHz. My plan is to add
another short set of wires cut for 50.125 MHz. Since each of the new
wires will only be 4.67 feet, I plan to use stand offs and run them
close to the 40/80 dipoles. It will be interesting to see if this
really works. Any suggestions for the short stand off insulators?

18 MHz times three equals 54 MHz. The 18 MHz dipole is likely to
detune the 6m dipole. See what the 6m SWR is now. You may not
need any additional wires.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old September 17th 05, 07:13 PM
Dave

just try it without the extra wires first, you may be surprised and get a
good match from one of the other wires.

aa5vu at arrl.net

Old September 17th 05, 07:58 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"Dave" wrote in message
just try it without the extra wires first, you may be surprised and get a
good match from one of the other wires.

You would think so, since 7 x 7.2 = 50.4. I happen to have a 7 & 18 MHz
antenna; so, I measured the SWR on 6 meters. Got about 2.9:1 at 50.25. SWR
at 56 MHz is about 1.2:1. Nevertheless, I have spoken to people on 6m who
were using 40 m dipoles.

Tam/WB2TT

aa5vu at arrl.net

Old September 17th 05, 08:17 PM
aRKay

In article ,
Cecil Moore wrote:

aRKay wrote:
I just purchased a Ten-Tec 1208 Transverter to get my feet wet on six
meters. I would like to use my existing W9INN fan dipole if possible.
At the present time the fan dipole has three sets of wires from the
common feed point for 40/80, 10 MHz and 18 MHz. My plan is to add
another short set of wires cut for 50.125 MHz. Since each of the new
wires will only be 4.67 feet, I plan to use stand offs and run them
close to the 40/80 dipoles. It will be interesting to see if this
really works. Any suggestions for the short stand off insulators?

18 MHz times three equals 54 MHz. The 18 MHz dipole is likely to
detune the 6m dipole. See what the 6m SWR is now. You may not
need any additional wires.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Good point. I may hold off until I get the Ten-Tec 1208 and see what I
have with the existing mess of wires. HiHi

I don't have an antenna analyser so will have to wait until I generate a
six meter signal.

Anyone ever tried six meters on an old Ringo Ranger 2 meter antenna?

Dick AA5VU
Old September 17th 05, 08:26 PM
Reg Edwards

It should work OK. You will need a little patience to prune the 50 Mhz
antenna length to resonance.

To reduce the coupling between antennas you could allow the 50 MHz
dipole to droop a little in the form of a shallow inverted-V.

Just progressivly increase the lemgth of the hanging insulating
strings towards the end of the 50 MHz dipole. It doesn't matter if the
dipole has curves in it.

I hope I have correctly judged your setup.
----
Reg.

Old September 18th 05, 01:58 AM

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:17:10 GMT, aRKay wrote:

In article ,
Cecil Moore wrote:

aRKay wrote:
[...]

The ringo ranger is vertical and most 6m stuff is horizontal. On skip
that may not hurt but for local it's very poor.

Allison
KB1GMX
Old September 18th 05, 01:58 AM
Ralph Mowery

Good point. I may hold off until I get the Ten-Tec 1208 and see what I
have with the existing mess of wires. HiHi

I don't have an antenna analyser so will have to wait until I generate a
six meter signal.

Anyone ever tried six meters on an old Ringo Ranger 2 meter antenna?

Dick AA5VU

I worked Canada on 6 meters with that transverter. Used a trapped dipole
for 40 to 10 meters.

I doube the ringo would work on 6 due to the way is fed. If it was just a
baseloaded (matched) 5/8 wave 2 meter antenna, it might work fine.

aa5vu at arrl.net

That 17m (18mhz) antenna should do well. I run a bunch of antennas
and for local work rather than turning a beam I use a `24ft EDZ with
a stub tuning on each wire to match 50ohms. The oddity of that
antenna is it looks like a plain dipole at 18mhz according to the
MFJ269b.

I'd drive that and see what the SWR looked like, it may be fair
as is. Owing to the amount of wire it may offer some amout of gain
over a plain dipole.

Good luck,
Allison
KB1GMX