Old October 10th 05, 10:16 PM
Peter

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 16:50:30 -0500, Bob Bob wrote:

We could no doubt go on forever. I maintain though that it doesn't
matter how bad you spell, use colloquial terms or different languages.
What matters is that we allow for ambiguous meaning and then dialogue to
rectify misunderstanding..

That's what our rulers (President and Prime Minister) count on...
confusion among the people!

Old October 10th 05, 10:33 PM
Cecil Moore

Peter wrote:
I could add the word ass and fanny to the conversation we're having
but I'd better not !

In England, a friend of mine was introduced thusly:
"Hey Everyone! Here's a friend from America! He's Randy!"
Randy wondered why everyone was laughing.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old October 10th 05, 10:47 PM
Amos Keag

Cecil Moore wrote:

Peter wrote:

I could add the word ass and fanny to the conversation we're having
but I'd better not !

In England, a friend of mine was introduced thusly:
"Hey Everyone! Here's a friend from America! He's Randy!"
Randy wondered why everyone was laughing.

I'm ignorant [technical usage] please tell me why!

Old October 10th 05, 11:51 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 17:47:59 -0400, Amos Keag wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Peter wrote:

I could add the word ass and fanny to the conversation we're having
but I'd better not !

In England, a friend of mine was introduced thusly:
"Hey Everyone! Here's a friend from America! He's Randy!"
Randy wondered why everyone was laughing.

I'm ignorant [technical usage] please tell me why!

I suppose that includes "web ignorant", too...

http://www.google.com/search?&q=define:Randy

Old October 11th 05, 02:10 AM
Cecil Moore

Amos Keag wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
In England, a friend of mine was introduced thusly:
"Hey Everyone! Here's a friend from America! He's Randy!"
Randy wondered why everyone was laughing.

I'm ignorant [technical usage] please tell me why!

I think it's because "randy" in England means the same
thing as "horny" in the US.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old October 11th 05, 03:40 AM
Fred W4JLE

Let's face it - English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant,
nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins
weren't invented in England or French fries in France. Sweetmeats are
candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat. We take English for
granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work
slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor
is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce
and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural
of booth, beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One index, 2
indices? Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend?
If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them,
what do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats
vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? Sometimes I think all the English
speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what
language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and
send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a
wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a
language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill
in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the
creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all. That
is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are
out, they are invisible.

PS. - Why doesn't "Buick" rhyme with "quick"

"Peter" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 13:33:35 -0400, Amos Keag
wrote:

Because it's ALUMINUM!!!

Tyre is an ancient biblical city. Tire is that round thingee between my
automobile and the road surface.

Tire is what I do very rapidly when listen to a politician spout forth
on the TV ... :-)

Old October 11th 05, 04:50 PM
PeteDBNZA

OK. So a linear amp would be built with tubes to allow full flow of signal
without restriction, while an audio amp might be built with valves, because
we would want to control (restrict) the audio volume.

This thread seems to have a life of its own. From ally to this!

Amazing!

--
Pete . .
ZS5ACT

Old October 11th 05, 05:29 PM
Bill Turner

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:40:14 -0400, "Fred W4JLE"
wrote:

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the
creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all.

English is long overdue for an overhaul. Countless hours are spent by
schoolchildren learning all the bizarre exceptions to the "rules",
which aren't really rules at all. What a waste of time!

I would like to see a commission established to reform spelling, to
begin with, and if successful, work on grammar.

I love the English language, but the time has come.

73, Bill W6WRT

Finishing Aluminum RadioGuy Homebrew 13 July 19th 05 11:01 PM
Used 80-6 HF Antenna - What Do I Have? Little O'Me Antenna 8 May 12th 05 09:56 PM
Crazy question cme Antenna 9 February 21st 04 12:29 AM
40 Foot Lengths of Irrigation Tubing - FREE Brian Kelly Antenna 4 August 25th 03 03:06 AM
Attaching wire to tubing?? Jimmy Antenna 1 July 18th 03 04:33 PM