Old October 9th 05, 06:48 PM
Allan Butler

Thanks for the information on where to find aluminum for antenna projects.

The idea of scrap yards would not be a bad one except one does not know what
the alloy or temper is on the aluminum. If it isn't right, the first good
wind would end up making a nice bundle to go back to the scrap yard. :-(

The commercial locations that were given in the information are helpful.
Even the Texas Towers site referring to a different alloy is a help. Now
I can go back to the locals with a request for the different alloy and see
if they have any of that in stock.

Again, thanks everyone for the pertinent information.

As for the spelling changes. I am an American. I do not speak English, I
speak American. If I had put the English spelling on the tests that I took
in school I would have failed. I put the American spelling on the tests and
at least passed the tests. Schools don't like it when one tries to be a
unique individual.

Find out who changed the spelling in the past and point your blame thrower
at them.

Basically it boils down to this is the way we were taught to spell and
speak.

Maybe we really don't speak English after all these years. We may speak and
write a totally different language of American that is based on the English
language.

If that is the case then there might be reason to believe the same thing is
happening with Australia, South Africa and a few other parts of the world.

As an example of this get someone from Australia and listen to them. Even
better hold a conversation with them. Then find someone from South Africa
and converse with them on something in a totally different setting. After
talking to both of them one on one, get them both into the same room and
introduce them to each other than get them talking to each other about
anything you want. You will find that the two dialects are different.

OK I know. It's Off Topic. :-) But I started the topic so I can twist it.
Right?

Again folks, thanks for the information and it will be very helpful.

Bye, Cheerio, G'Day, Seeya, Talk ta All Yall Later. :-)

Old October 9th 05, 06:52 PM
Dave Piggin

Also, why do we say tube rather than valve?

Because a tube allows a substance through it without restriction, a
valve is a device for controlling such.
Dave
Old October 9th 05, 09:43 PM
gb

"Allan Butler" wrote in message
Hello Everyone:

I have tried all the local metal suppliers and several in the
Chicago
area to get 6061-T6 aluminum tubing from in very specific sizes. I need
get two pieces of 1.00 inch OD with a wall thickness of 0.058 inch that
are
twelve feet long. I also need to get four pieces of 7/8 inch OD by 0.049
inch wall that are twelve feet long.

Nobody that I spoke with stocks these items. Some of the big name
suppliers were down right nasty about me wanting this small quantity of
pieces.

Where would one go to get these pieces that I need to get for some
antenna projects that I want to build soon? And not pay an arm and a leg
for the privilege of owning this rare and unobtainable material.

Allan Butler
ka0ies

Allan -

Contact Charles Penniger, KC9DAO of Penniger Radio in St. Charles, IL
(western suburb of Chicago). He has a web site: http://www.penninger.com

He deals with aluminum tubing on a regular basis with his full-time job --
and stocks long lengths. An e-mail or telephone conversation will likely
save you time.
http://www.penninger.com/prod05.htm

Greg, w9gb

Old October 9th 05, 09:51 PM
gb

"jerry" wrote in message
hi allan,

http://www.mcmaster.com great online catalog,
they got everything even the kitchen sinks !
they even have local pickup if there is one in your area
to save on the truck fees.

how about ebay, lots of tubing online,
I got some nice 6063 (higher corrosion resistance)
.5 od from a guy in california.

Problem will be the ship fees, 12' is by truck.

Got to be a local place that has it.

73 tube guy

Allan -

The McMaster-Carr warehouse for the Midwest & Chicago area is along TriState
Tollway (I-294) between Grand Avenue and North Avenue ... they have a
pick-up window for locals !! ... and are less than 1 mile from my QTH.

That and Charles Penniger, KC9DAO -- who sells aluminum tubing up to 24
feet in length (Chicago area) -- start with Chuck -- and save yourself grief
and large shipping or freight charges.

Greg
w9gb

Old October 10th 05, 10:11 PM
Peter

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 13:33:35 -0400, Amos Keag
wrote:

Because it's ALUMINUM!!!

Tyre is an ancient biblical city. Tire is that round thingee between my
automobile and the road surface.

Tire is what I do very rapidly when listen to a politician spout forth
on the TV ... :-)
Old October 10th 05, 10:11 PM
Jim - NN7K

Allan Butler wrote:
Thanks for the information on where to find aluminum for antenna projects.

The idea of scrap yards would not be a bad one except one does not know what
the alloy or temper is on the aluminum. If it isn't right, the first good
wind would end up making a nice bundle to go back to the scrap yard. :-(

The commercial locations that were given in the information are helpful.
Even the Texas Towers site referring to a different alloy is a help. Now
I can go back to the locals with a request for the different alloy and see
if they have any of that in stock.

Again, thanks everyone for the pertinent information.

It might not be so simple as that-- as, depending on lengths, and
element diameters, and how they are attached to each other, can get much
greif, even with 6061-T! Had a Six Meter yagi, useing this tubeing thru
the boom (3/16 inch -diameter), and could drop it from height and not
damage it- But, in the wind, the elements would chatter, causing metal
fatigue, causing element failure at the boom entry hole. Don't know if
there is a program that will calculate mechanical stress from items
such as mentioned, but it is something to reckon with. Its kind of
distressing when you have 4 (or 8!) of these up, on a moonbounce
array, and have to find a way to replace those elements! as info-
Jim NN7K
Old October 10th 05, 10:13 PM
Peter

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 14:43:58 -0500, Bob Bob wrote:

And being even further OT

Brings further ambiguity to the term "retired" as well. (Like my 65 yo
father just had a wheel transplant)

LOL!!

Old October 10th 05, 10:14 PM
Peter

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 11:35:49 GMT, Bruce wrote:

You mean the second "i"? Probably because we spell it correctly: Aluminum.
;~)

I suppose we could also ask why you need to pronounce the first "u" hard.

Do we? I hadn't noticed ;-)
Old October 10th 05, 10:15 PM
Peter

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 20:24:09 GMT, Cecil Moore wrote:

Peter wrote:
Also why a car tire instead of tyre?

Why do your cars have bonnets even when it
isn't Easter?

You also give your car a trunk while we give it a boot!

Finishing Aluminum RadioGuy Homebrew 13 July 19th 05 11:01 PM
Used 80-6 HF Antenna - What Do I Have? Little O'Me Antenna 8 May 12th 05 09:56 PM
Crazy question cme Antenna 9 February 21st 04 12:29 AM
40 Foot Lengths of Irrigation Tubing - FREE Brian Kelly Antenna 4 August 25th 03 03:06 AM
Attaching wire to tubing?? Jimmy Antenna 1 July 18th 03 04:33 PM