Old October 12th 05, 04:13 AM
rckchp

Look here :
http://users.lmi.net/~ryoung/Sonerai...um_Sources.htm
Allan Butler wrote:
Hello Everyone:

I have tried all the local metal suppliers and several in the Chicago
area to get 6061-T6 aluminum tubing from in very specific sizes.

Old October 12th 05, 05:09 AM
Cecil Moore

rckchp wrote:
Look here :
http://users.lmi.net/~ryoung/Sonerai...um_Sources.htm

Heck, MFJ is even carrying Hy-gain Aluminum Tubing now
in 6' telescoping sections.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old October 12th 05, 05:11 AM
Asimov

"Dave Piggin" bravely wrote to "All" (09 Oct 05 18:52:24)
--- on the heady topic of " Aluminum tubing?"

DP From: Dave Piggin
DP Xref: core-easynews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:218532

Also, why do we say tube rather than valve?

DP Because a tube allows a substance through it without restriction, a
DP valve is a device for controlling such.
DP Dave

Croutons de boeuf! They are all cathode ray tubes. Valve is from the
stupide French who couldn't translate tube properly and the Brits
then blindly adopted it.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Goose Pester Blondo Yip Lives!

Old October 12th 05, 02:39 PM
Gene Fuller

Roger Conroy wrote:

[snip]

Why do you guys in the US always omit the "i" in aluminium ?

You mean the second "i"? Probably because we spell it correctly: Aluminum.
;~)

But you do it ONLY to Alumin(i)um. What about Lithium, Barium, Chromium,
Ruthenium, Titanium, Uranium, and so on......?

Hmmmm, does "so on" also include Lanthanum, Molybdenum, Platinum, and
Tantalum?

73,
Gene
W4SZ
Old October 12th 05, 03:00 PM
Guido Sarducci from NYC

Chaio !

I always use the terlit when I am at home
because at the malls they are not clean.

I also change the earl in my pickup truck.

Old October 13th 05, 05:11 AM
Asimov

"Gene Fuller" bravely wrote to "All" (12 Oct 05 13:39:25)
--- on the heady topic of " Aluminum tubing?"

GF From: Gene Fuller
GF Xref: core-easynews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:218617

GF Roger Conroy wrote:
[,,,]
But you do it ONLY to Alumin(i)um. What about Lithium, Barium, Chromium,
Ruthenium, Titanium, Uranium, and so on......?

GF Hmmmm, does "so on" also include Lanthanum, Molybdenum, Platinum, and
GF Tantalum?

What about wolfram, (aka tungsten)!?

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor....

Old October 13th 05, 08:29 AM

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:39:25 GMT, Gene Fuller
wrote:

Roger Conroy wrote:

[snip]

Why do you guys in the US always omit the "i" in aluminium ?

You mean the second "i"? Probably because we spell it correctly: Aluminum.
;~)

But you do it ONLY to Alumin(i)um. What about Lithium, Barium, Chromium,
Ruthenium, Titanium, Uranium, and so on......?

Hmmmm, does "so on" also include Lanthanum, Molybdenum, Platinum, and
Tantalum?

73,
Gene
W4SZ

Not to mention Adnauseam. "-)
Old October 13th 05, 01:58 PM
Roger Conroy

"Gene Fuller" wrote in message
Roger Conroy wrote:

[snip]

Why do you guys in the US always omit the "i" in aluminium ?

You mean the second "i"? Probably because we spell it correctly:
Aluminum.
;~)

But you do it ONLY to Alumin(i)um. What about Lithium, Barium, Chromium,
Ruthenium, Titanium, Uranium, and so on......?

Hmmmm, does "so on" also include Lanthanum, Molybdenum, Platinum, and
Tantalum?

73,
Gene
W4SZ

We're in complete agreement about those too.
We have 2 "groups" of metals that differ in having "um" or "ium" endings. It
is only Alumin(i)um that "switches groups" in crossing the Atlantic. When,
how and why did it happen?

The other one that is a consistent transatlantic difference is the group of
words that include colo(u)r, odo(u)r, favo(u)r, hono(u)r...... I can't think
of any "equivalent" anomalies there. ISTR hearing a radio show on language
that mentioned that there is at least one variety of North American English
that has kept the "u" - but I just can't remember who/where that is.

73
Roger ZR3RC

Old October 13th 05, 09:01 PM
Asimov

"Roger Conroy" bravely wrote to "All" (13 Oct 05 14:58:53)
--- on the heady topic of " Aluminum tubing?"

RC From: "Roger Conroy"
RC Xref: core-easynews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:218675

RC . ISTR hearing a radio
RC show on language that mentioned that there is at least one variety of
RC North American English that has kept the "u" - but I just can't
RC remember who/where that is.
RC 73
RC Roger ZR3RC

Canadian English.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Department of the Interior, in charge of everything outdoors..

Old October 14th 05, 07:34 AM

Roger Conroy wrote:

[...]

Hollywood -- glamour.

Finishing Aluminum RadioGuy Homebrew 13 July 19th 05 11:01 PM
Used 80-6 HF Antenna - What Do I Have? Little O'Me Antenna 8 May 12th 05 09:56 PM
Crazy question cme Antenna 9 February 21st 04 12:29 AM
40 Foot Lengths of Irrigation Tubing - FREE Brian Kelly Antenna 4 August 25th 03 03:06 AM
Attaching wire to tubing?? Jimmy Antenna 1 July 18th 03 04:33 PM