Old November 23rd 03, 03:31 PM
The Genie

Default Software

Hi,
Does anyone know of any software I can install with windows XP that
if I were to input a "point of origin" NGR and a receiving station NGR
would give the range in Km and bearing wrt to magnetic north.
UK ONLY
Cheers,
Mike

Old November 23rd 03, 08:38 PM
Joe Strain

This freeware may not meet all your needs, but it's amazing!
http://www.qsl.net/w6elprop/

----

W6ELProp predicts ionospheric (sky-wave) propagation between any two
locations on the earth on frequencies between 3 and 30 MHz. There is no
charge for W6ELProp when used for non-commercial purposes.

This is the primary W6ELProp distribution site. Any new version of W6ELProp
will first be available at this site.

Version 2.70 permits the user to specify a terminal location by its IARU
Grid Locator, and permits the user to optionally display areas for only one
prediction frequency at a time in the Frequency Map.

yodar

----------------------------

Old November 26th 03, 10:07 PM
Ron McConnell

The Genie wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone know of any software I can install with windows XP that
if I were to input a "point of origin" NGR and a receiving station NGR
would give the range in Km and bearing wrt to magnetic north.
UK ONLY
Cheers,
Mike

Hi, Mike,

As Joe recommends get a copy of W6ELProp if you have even
the slightest interest in HF propagation.

W6ELProp does not do magnetic bearings that I can tell.

As far as I know the only program that does magnetic bearings
is my freeware, lat/long/grid-locator,
distance and bearing (true and magnetic), Miles/Watt,
MaxiMUF, DX database... program GCGC
which uses an ellipsoidal earth model
with WGS-84 as the default.
Just give it Lat1/Long1 and Lat2/Long2 (nearly free format),
or with less accuracy due to the nature of grid locators,
grid1 instead of lat1/long1,
and/or grid2 instead of lat2/long2
See the link below.

The offset from true to magnetic (compass) bearings uses
the World Magnetic Model which calculates the local
horizontal magnetic field direction within a degree or less
(local magnetic anomalies excepted).

For Windows XP, use GCGC in a DOS window that is opened
by running "cmd.exe.)

"NGR" = ??

BTW, the best online tutorial on distance and bearing calculations,
with worked examples, is Ed Williams's Aviation Formulary.

http://williams.best.vwh.net/avform.html

Have fun.

Cheers, 73,

Ron McConnell

N 40º 46' 57.9" W 74º 41' 21.9"
FN20ps77GU46 [FN20ps77GV75]
Magnetic Variation = 13.0º W in October 2003

* GCGC executable and source at

http://home.earthlink.net/~rcmcc

There are 10 kinds of people:
those who understand binary arithmetic
and those who don't.

nice amateur software! Tdonaly Antenna 0 August 31st 03 11:22 PM
Earn $500 to $700 per Week Downloading FREE Software Cash Cow Antenna 0 August 16th 03 03:55 AM
new HAMRADIO software & info!!!!!!!! Savage Antenna 2 August 16th 03 01:03 AM
Which NEC antenna design software? Dale Parfitt Antenna 12 July 28th 03 05:42 PM
Looking for radio software 128 Antenna 2 July 12th 03 05:47 PM