Old December 24th 05, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
west

Default Ant. Considerations for the FT-857D

If you live on a typical suburban lot and were contemplating purchasing a
Yaesu FT-857D or perhaps the new Icom R-7000, what would you buy for an
antenna(s)? Is the QRN bad enough that you would stay way from a vertically
polarized antenna for HF? Should I take an interest in 160 meters or is it a
relatively specialized band that is not worth the antenna considerations
initially? Been away from Ham radio for over 20 years but know enough to
think out my antenna strategy before buying the rig. Thanks for any
comments.

Cordially,
west
AF4GC

Old December 24th 05, 09:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery

"west" wrote in message
. ..
If you live on a typical suburban lot and were contemplating purchasing a
Yaesu FT-857D or perhaps the new Icom R-7000, what would you buy for an
antenna(s)? Is the QRN bad enough that you would stay way from a

vertically
polarized antenna for HF? Should I take an interest in 160 meters or is it

relatively specialized band that is not worth the antenna considerations
initially? Been away from Ham radio for over 20 years but know enough to
think out my antenna strategy before buying the rig. Thanks for any
comments.

Could you give a price range and how much real estate you have ? I would
like a 180 ft tower with seperate beams on it for each band but it is much
out of my price range. Also hard to put up a 160 meter dipole on a 1/2 acre
lot. Tell us what kind of antennas you are thinking of .

Old December 25th 05, 04:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
west

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
nk.net...

"west" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

A suburban lot is a modest sized lot. Ideally I would have only 2 ant. 1 for
HF & one for 2m/220/440. although I see that there are all in ones available
but that would make the HF part, vertically polarized. I can forget 160m. I
know from days of old the QRN was almost intolerable at times with a
vertical. Thanks, Ralph for the post. BTW: I am only interested in
omni-directional at this time.

west

Old December 25th 05, 06:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Miller

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 15:51:31 GMT, "west"
wrote:

A suburban lot is a modest sized lot. Ideally I would have only 2 ant. 1 for
HF & one for 2m/220/440. although I see that there are all in ones available
but that would make the HF part, vertically polarized. I can forget 160m. I
know from days of old the QRN was almost intolerable at times with a
vertical. Thanks, Ralph for the post. BTW: I am only interested in
omni-directional at this time.

west

Depending on the size of your lot, a dipole for 80 or 40 is pretty
easy. I you make it an inverted V, that will give it a more
omnidirecitonal pattern, if that is what you want.

bob
k5qwg

Old December 25th 05, 08:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery

"west" wrote in message

lot. Tell us what kind of antennas you are thinking of .

A suburban lot is a modest sized lot. Ideally I would have only 2 ant. 1

for
HF & one for 2m/220/440. although I see that there are all in ones

available
but that would make the HF part, vertically polarized. I can forget 160m.

know from days of old the QRN was almost intolerable at times with a
vertical. Thanks, Ralph for the post. BTW: I am only interested in
omni-directional at this time.

west

If you can put up a dipole, you may want to try a dipole, either trapped, or
fed with open wire. An off center fed antenna is not bad either. You may
have trouble getting enough wire in the ground for a vertical to work very
well. Putting down 20 to 100 ground wires is more trouble than I care for.
At low heights the dipoles, especially if inverted V types have a very broad
pattern, almost omni-directiona. One thing about the dipoles is you can
buy a bunch of wire at the local store for a small price. If you don't like
it, you have not spent the $ 200-300 for the verticals.

For vhf FM work most any of the dual band verticals seem to be ok. I have
not looked at any that cover the 220 band also. It may be hard to find a
single antenna that will do 144/220/440 . I usually work ssb on the vhf
bands and do very little on the repeaters so that has not been much of an
issue with me. SSB usually requires a horizontal antenna as that is what
most are using and you will take a big (around 20 db) hit going from one to
the other.