Old March 20th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ken Bessler

Default Looking for the right connector

I'm installing 802.11b/g in my IBM ThinkPad T23. I've done quite
a bit of research and got a 250mw WiFi internal (mini PCI) card,
2 micro coax (1.37mm OD) antenna leads and I'm building two
antennas but I'm stumped on how to connect the antennas to the
laptop.

Ideally the connectors should be inline, like a headphone extension
cable. The connectors will be secured to the rear of the LCD display
in a way so that they point up when the display is open yet the antennas
can be removed when I close the screen.

Should I just use the 2 leftover Elecraft BNC chassis mounts I have?
Anyone have a better (smaller) choice? What about RCA or 3/32"
headphone plugs? Would they present too much of an impedance
bump at 5.1ghz?

--
73's de Ken KG0WX - Kadiddlehopper #11808,
Flying Pigs #-1055, Grid EM17io,

Old March 20th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob

Hi Ken

Yes stay away from RCA and headphone plugs, for exactly the reason you
mentioned.

I'd recommend SMA plugs and sockets, They are in pretty standard use up
to about 12GHz. Make sure you terminate them properly or have some
cables made up.

I'd also be careful using that thin coax over any kind of distance. The
losses will really mount up!

Cheers Bob

Old March 20th 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ken Bessler

"Bob Bob" wrote in message
Hi Ken

Yes stay away from RCA and headphone plugs, for exactly the reason you
mentioned.

I'd recommend SMA plugs and sockets, They are in pretty standard use up
to about 12GHz. Make sure you terminate them properly or have some
cables made up.

I'd also be careful using that thin coax over any kind of distance. The
losses will really mount up!

Cheers Bob

Thanks for the tips, Bob. I was worried about losses but I downloaded
the factory data sheet for this coax - for a 500mm run, I'm looking at a
loss of 0.94db @ 2.4ghz and 1.53db @ 5.1ghz. I tried finding the internal
connector (U.FL type) but gave up when I saw DigiKey selling a 1000mm
cable with U.FL connectors installed on both ends. I cut the cable in half.
The cable looks like good stuff - VERY tiny but well built. $10....

I'll look into SMA connectors - does anyone know if they make a push on
variant?

Ken KG0WX

Old March 20th 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen

Ken Bessler wrote:
. . .
I'll look into SMA connectors - does anyone know if they make a push on
variant?

SMB is probably what you want.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old March 20th 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wes Stewart

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 00:20:11 -0600, "Ken Bessler"
wrote:

"Bob Bob" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.corning.com/CorningGilber...echnical_faqs/

We used a lot of these in blind-mate missile applications.

Wes