Old April 6th 06, 12:33 AM
Junior Member

Location: BC, Canada
Default Must 300 ohm feedline be kept completely clear of contact w anything?

How critical is it to mount twinlead feedline (300 ohm TV ribbon type) so that it doesn't come into contact with anything? Obviously, with bare ladder-line type feeders it's absolutely essential (to prevent shorting!), but what about the insulated type of 300 ohm twinlead --- can you have it run next to wood, say, or even metal as long as there is no conduction between the inner conductors and anything metal that might cut through the insulation? I've heard that Home Depot has a newer type of 300 ohm twinlead that is oval, almost circular in cross section because it is foam filled and thus if it were to be lying on top of something, or next to something, there would be an extra 'cushion' between the current carrying wires inside and anything outside the wires so would that mean it would be OK to run this type feedline up against the wall of a house? Or would it also be absolutely essential to somehow mount it so that it is free and clear of anything?
73 from Canada
VA7FAB
Old April 6th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Oldridge

Thomas anonymous wrote in
:

How critical is it to mount twinlead feedline (300 ohm TV ribbon type)
so that it doesn't come into contact with anything? Obviously, with

You don't want unbalanced coupling between one side of the feedline and
something else. That would unbalance the feedline. You MAY not want the
impedance bump that comes with equal coupling on both sides, though that
might be tolerable if you're tuning the line anyway. And you don't want
lossy coupling of any kind.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667
Old April 6th 06, 06:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
David G. Nagel

Dave Oldridge wrote:
Thomas anonymous wrote in
:

How critical is it to mount twinlead feedline (300 ohm TV ribbon type)
so that it doesn't come into contact with anything? Obviously, with

You don't want unbalanced coupling between one side of the feedline and
something else. That would unbalance the feedline. You MAY not want the
impedance bump that comes with equal coupling on both sides, though that
might be tolerable if you're tuning the line anyway. And you don't want
lossy coupling of any kind.

In general there is a magnetic/electric field between the conductors in
twinlead feed line. If this field is in contact with a metal or other
conductive surface it will distort the impedance of the wire. Twinlead
with the round surfaces between the conductors will keep the field out
of the way of any surface the twinlead is resting on. This helps to
maintain the constant 300 ohm impedance of the twinlead. That is why tv
leadin uses standoffs to restrain the wire from the antenna to the
receiver/transmitter.
There is nothing wrong with using twinlead. It's cheap, light weight and
easy to install.

Dave WD9BDZ
Old April 6th 06, 07:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen

David G. Nagel wrote:
. . .
There is nothing wrong with using twinlead. It's cheap, light weight and
easy to install.

When wet, it can become much lossier than RG-58. See
http://www.eznec.com/Amateur/Article...Feed_Lines.pdf.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old April 6th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
David G. Nagel

Roy Lewallen wrote:
David G. Nagel wrote:
. . .

There is nothing wrong with using twinlead. It's cheap, light weight
and easy to install.

When wet, it can become much lossier than RG-58. See
http://www.eznec.com/Amateur/Article...Feed_Lines.pdf.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Roy;

True. Remember I said I don't use the stuff so I forgot that little
tidbit. I also try not to use RG-58 for anything other than a mobile
antenna and I am trying to get away from that also.

Dave WD9BDZ

Old April 6th 06, 06:48 PM
Junior Member

Location: BC, Canada

Well, that's what you call a definitive answer, hi. I live on the Canadian Wet Coast, near Vancouver --- you could say moisture is sometimes a factor around here ...

Thx and 73 from Canada
Old April 7th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. Onella

"Thomas anonymous" wrote in
message . ..

Well, that's what you call a definitive answer, hi. I live on the
Canadian Wet Coast, near Vancouver --- you could say moisture is
sometimes a factor around here ...

Thx and 73 from Canada

--
Thomas anonymous

Thomas,

Belden made a product called "Shielded Perm-ohm" 300 ohm shielded twin
lead. It apparently still exists, but not with that name. Go to
http://www.fairradio.com/wirean.htm and search for it. The
product is now called "City Color," according to that web page.

Some years ago I used it to pass perfect TV signals through a 15-foot
conduit
out of my attic . (An earlier attempt with regular twinlead was a
disaster.) I
believe the shielded twin lead has slightly less loss than coax.

Old April 17th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Buck

In general there is a magnetic/electric field between the conductors in
twinlead feed line.
Dave WD9BDZ

Dave,

Just to clarify, is the 'magnetic/electric field' to which you refer
the same as saying 'electromagnetic field'? I am just trying to
clarify whether it is just how you expressed it or if you are making a
distinctive difference.

Thanks
Buck

--
73 for now
Buck
Old April 17th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
David G. Nagel

Buck wrote:
In general there is a magnetic/electric field between the conductors in
twinlead feed line.
Dave WD9BDZ

Dave,

Just to clarify, is the 'magnetic/electric field' to which you refer
the same as saying 'electromagnetic field'? I am just trying to
clarify whether it is just how you expressed it or if you are making a
distinctive difference.

Thanks
Buck

Buck

You are correct in your interpretation of my stumbling words.
The main thing is close proximity to another conductive material will
affect the transmission of energy on twin lead.
I hope that I have helped you. Amateur radio is a fascinating field of
endeavor. Your education does not ever stop.

Dave
Old April 17th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Buck

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 21:38:18 -0500, "David G. Nagel"
wrote:

Buck wrote:
In general there is a magnetic/electric field between the conductors in
twinlead feed line.
Dave WD9BDZ

Dave,

Just to clarify, is the 'magnetic/electric field' to which you refer
the same as saying 'electromagnetic field'? I am just trying to
clarify whether it is just how you expressed it or if you are making a
distinctive difference.

Thanks
Buck

Buck

You are correct in your interpretation of my stumbling words.
The main thing is close proximity to another conductive material will
affect the transmission of energy on twin lead.
I hope that I have helped you. Amateur radio is a fascinating field of
endeavor. Your education does not ever stop.

Dave

Thanks, and yes, the education continues.

--
73 for now
Buck