Old May 5th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
switcher

Default added 10 nF to my 1500-700Khz ant loop: -- Result: i'm into LW 216khz !

That's what I did, 10nF added to the loop- var cap setup, and now I see
that RMC INfo on 216 comes in with sig 9... (without loop: about 1).

Strange thing is that with var cap + 10nF the loop only tunes between
say 207 and 225 khz, while on AM (without the 10nF), it tunes 1 MHz wide

explanation ??
I saw that some people make their own var cap ... (with very large
plates...)

Now, I intend to buy some nF caps from 1-50nF or so, to see what's
happening ...

Today I picked up two old grundigs, and after some tweaking (knobs) they
work !
melody boy 500 (excellent condition, the AM-FM- etc knobs aren't touched
....)
and a Yacht boy with lamp, batt indication, AFC ... tunes very well on
SW...
Great sound on both radios ...

---and now, for a great song: ---
http://www.asklyrics.com/display/Chu...rics/12119.htm
----
You're just an antenna, you're just a wire.
There's a thousand tongues wagging in your ears tonight,
And you turn around and you call me a liar.
Lightly babe, oh the fine lights cannot find you.
She stay out my way, it's the pulse I am aligned to.
And everything you say, you'll need that breath one day.
Well, you're just an antenna, you're just a code.
You translate like a book, the fuses all cook.
You eat humble pie and it tastes of the road.
Lightly babe, oh the fine lights cannot find you.
She say, that's the way, that's the fate I am resigned to.
And everything you say, you'll need that breath one day.
You're just an antenna, you're just a gauge.
You disturb my slumber and round up the numbers
And put them inside your velvety cage.
Lightly babe, oh the fine lights cannot find you.
She say, make my day, and the sunlight will not blind you.
Lightly babe, oh the fine lights cannot find you.
I may never pray to the fortune that's behind you.

--
een appeltje te schillen met http://applefaulty.be
http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/bwnl.htm
Old May 6th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

On Fri, 05 May 2006 23:53:07 +0200, switcher
wrote:
Strange thing is that with var cap + 10nF the loop only tunes between
say 207 and 225 khz, while on AM (without the 10nF), it tunes 1 MHz wide
..

explanation ??

Your variable capacitor (probably in the 20 to 400pF range) is a small
percentage of the total capacitance when the 10nF is added to it.
Alone, and at a higher frequency, it is enough to cover that much
range.

I saw that some people make their own var cap ... (with very large
plates...)

Now, I intend to buy some nF caps from 1-50nF or so, to see what's
happening ...

Buy some 1-50nF? You may discover why others build them.

Today I picked up two old grundigs, and after some tweaking (knobs) they
work !
melody boy 500 (excellent condition, the AM-FM- etc knobs aren't touched
...)
and a Yacht boy with lamp, batt indication, AFC ... tunes very well on
SW...
Great sound on both radios ...

yes indeed.

---and now, for a great song: ---
http://www.asklyrics.com/display/Chu...rics/12119.htm

Chacun à son Goût!

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old May 6th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
switcher

http://cgi.ebay.at/RARITAT-GRUNDIG-W...-TOP_W0QQitemZ
7614592587QQcategoryZ19693QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#eba yphotohosting

this is the YB I found ... (I don't sell it, yet ... )

Old May 6th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
David

wrote:

[...]

written by Roderick Taylor
© 1976 Rat's God Music (BMI)

Oh what a sunny day
When they carried the radio home
Bringing him in off of the truck
And the dogs wouldn't leave us alone
Mr. Radio
Come down here to keep us company

We listen in a room
Through the miles and miles of night
Deep in the heart of the Bible Belt
In the golden radio light
Mr. Radio
Come down here to keep us company

And it's hard days out in the field
The crows in the high tree top
If the man's away from his home all day
His chickens might fall to the fox
Mr. Radio
What can you do about that uh huh

And you can take me down to a river town
Where the citizens dance till dawn
Dance so close it's a sin almost
The way they carry on
Mr. Radio
I never dreamed you could

And it's miles at the careless touch
Of a tired hand in time
When evening fell I heard a stranger sell
Dreams that were never mine

Old May 6th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
K7ITM

Well, if he does cover 207-225 w/ a fixed 10nF in parallel with
whatever tuning cap he has, that implies Cmax/Cmin = (225/207)^2 =
1.18/1. Since Cmin is at least 10nF, the variable to accomplish that
must be 1800pF, at least. That in itself is a pretty good size
variable cap.

Then the implication would be that L = 50uH, and 1800pF would tune that
to 530kHz. The minimum capacitance including stray and effecitve coil
shunt would be 175pF to tune to 1700kHz.

I think he means to buy some fixed caps in the range 1-50nF, not a
1-50nF variable. (Though in this forum, maybe he does mean the
variable!) The fixed caps could make some sense. Maybe put them on
dual stackable banana plugs, and plug together whatever value is
desired.

Switcher, you can do the calcs yourself: 2*pi*freq = 1/sqrt(L*C) --
or use something like the RF calculator that's in RFSim99. And you may
find it's better to not try to cover too wide a range with one loop by
adjusting only the capacitance, for performance reasons in addition to
the fact that the tuning range will get very small as you go to larger
fixed capacitances.

Cheers,
Tom

Old May 6th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Telamon

In article ,
switcher wrote:

That's what I did, 10nF added to the loop- var cap setup, and now I see
that RMC INfo on 216 comes in with sig 9... (without loop: about 1).

Strange thing is that with var cap + 10nF the loop only tunes between
say 207 and 225 khz, while on AM (without the 10nF), it tunes 1 MHz wide
..

explanation ??

Snip

Your tuning cap at the low range is only part of the total capacitance
instead of the whole capacitance for the resonant circuit. I have those
duh moments too.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 6th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael A. Terrell

K7ITM wrote:

I think he means to buy some fixed caps in the range 1-50nF, not a
1-50nF variable. (Though in this forum, maybe he does mean the
variable!) The fixed caps could make some sense. Maybe put them on
dual stackable banana plugs, and plug together whatever value is
desired.

You could use a solid state analog mux IC to switch capacitors at
those frequencies. Maxim, Analog Devices and others make a wide
selection of these chips.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old May 6th 06, 07:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
switcher

Old May 6th 06, 07:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

On Sat, 06 May 2006 08:35:28 +0200, switcher

Yes, I would buy fixed, of course, they have them in eu at www.conrad.fr

Make sure they exhibit low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance). Not
all capacitors are especially suitable for tuning.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old May 6th 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
switcher

In article ,
switcher wrote:

That's what I did, 10nF added to the loop- var cap setup, and now I see
that RMC INfo on 216 comes in with sig 9... (without loop: about 1).

Strange thing is that with var cap + 10nF the loop only tunes between
say 207 and 225 khz, while on AM (without the 10nF), it tunes 1 MHz wide
..

Of course, now I can add more turns to the loop.

The loop is 2 x 3 meter of PVC tube, bended in a circle.
There are now 3 turns. Guess ... how many turns to have the LW
153-279khz ???

picture of a previous version , large (2 m) and small 83 cm hulahoop

http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/oc/IMAG0015.JPG

The way I construct the hulahoop now, so that it "keeps head up":
http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/amloop/loopbottom.jpg
http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/amloop/loop83cm.jpg
http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/am...oopbottom2.jpg
(when the box is closed, you can put a radio on it, nicely positioned
inside the loop)

these formumla's say:
http://www.mindspring.com/~loop_ante...r_emc_calc.htm

some 15 turns... on a 2m diam loop ...

I know about the computer flat cable trick...

(I put the first formula in cm (100 cm = 1 meter) on
http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/amloop.htm
)