Old September 12th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

It's Not a Code, no code problem, it's a generational problem!

In the past week, the articles that seemed to get the most play on ham sites
were the Southern Border Volunteers and the lack of brotherhood in ham
radio.

I was amazed at the responses that were both negative and critical of
supporting a group that wanted to protect our borders. I suspect some
passengers were probably tsk tsking the only guy in four airplanes with the
guts to do something to stop the rag heads on 9/11. How else can you explain
rag heads armed ONLY with box cutters were able to control three airplanes?
Many of the younger generation find it easier to criticize than take action.

Ham radio went to hell when Dick Bash got involved with his published "cheat
sheets".

This piece is from the prospective of a ham with over 50 years spewing RF
throughout the world. At 68 years of age, I look back at my start in ham
radio, appearing before a steely eyed FCC examiner in Norfolk Virginia. I
missed the distance for a Conditional license by about 11 miles. I had to
walk between school and home in the snow, uphill both ways.

Do I think that everyone should have to do what I did to become a ham?
Nope, I can live with the memorized exams, the no code, etc. Like the
parable of the workers in the vineyard, I accept the rules have changed. At
no place in the parable does it tell the late arriving workers to ridicule
those that worked all day.

Just as sure as these words are on your screen, you too will someday be an
old fart just like me. As you enter the dotage of your life, health concerns
and the condition of your aged friends, becomes more of a concern. We, like
you, used to talk about more contemporary subjects. Unlike a number of you,
we allowed the older folks to have their conversations without ridicule. It
is called respect, and is a two way street. Realize that when I was a newby,
I suffered the same as you at the hands of the old farts. They believed that
for you to enter their group, you should first show respect and learn to
snatch the pebble from their hand.

None of you started in your working life as the CEO of the company, yet many
of today's generation feel that a newly minted license conveys total
knowledge. What you have is a license to learn, take advantage of it and the
brotherhood will naturally follow.

If we all took the time to show each other respect, and be less quick to
judge, not only would ham radio be better, but our lives as well.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Newsflash: ALL radio operators, code or no-code, are "appliance
operators" as you colloquially state. A radio is a means to
communicate. Knowing code just adds another way to use that radio.

Quite true, Opus! Thank you for pointing that out.

Let us hope that Blowcode sticks to his ARRL "Archie" comic
books while he mimes the "Wizard of Oz's" scarecrow wishing
he had a brain. :-(

Old September 13th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Fred Hambrecht wrote:
It's Not a Code, no code problem, it's a generational problem!

In the past week, the articles that seemed to get the most play on ham sites
were the Southern Border Volunteers and the lack of brotherhood in ham
radio.

I was amazed at the responses that were both negative and critical of
supporting a group that wanted to protect our borders. I suspect some
passengers were probably tsk tsking the only guy in four airplanes with the
guts to do something to stop the rag heads on 9/11.

The hijackers on Flight 93 were stopped by more than one guy. And the
people on the other planes did not know the hijackers were on a suicide
mission.

How else can you explain
rag heads armed ONLY with box cutters were able to control three airplanes?

Simple:

- The hijackers killed one or two people who tried to resist.
- Then they said they had a bomb aboard.
- They also said that if the passengers did as they were told, nobody
else would get hurt.

You have to remember that before that terrible morning 5 years ago,
suicide-hijacking was unknown. Hijackers took over planes to get
ransom, or to get transportation somewhere, or for political reasons.
They always had demands and always promised that if their demands were
met, nobody would get hurt or killed. And the conventional way of
dealing with them was to do what they wanted, get the plane on the
ground safely, negotiate, and then go after them on the ground.

All that changed on Sept 11, 2001. Look what happened when that
shoe-bomb guy tried it.

The folks on Flight 93 had two things the people on the other flights
did not:

1) They *knew* the rules had changed - they knew what the hijackers
were going to do.

2) They had time to formulate a plan and time to implement it.

Many of the younger generation find it easier to criticize than take action.

Just like their predecessors.

Ham radio went to hell when Dick Bash got involved with his published "cheat
sheets".

Well, I don't know if it "went to hell" but I agree 100% that Bash's
"cheat sheets" were a very bad thing for amateur radio.

Remember, though, that it was the top folks at FCC who decided not to
prosecute Bash. Lower-level FCC officials had evidence against him, and
wanted to go after him with criminal charges - but the leadership said
no. Those FCC folks who decided to let Bash get away with his "cheat
sheets" almost 30 years ago were not young people then.

This piece is from the prospective of a ham with over 50 years spewing RF
throughout the world. At 68 years of age, I look back at my start in ham
radio, appearing before a steely eyed FCC examiner in Norfolk Virginia. I
missed the distance for a Conditional license by about 11 miles. I had to
walk between school and home in the snow, uphill both ways.

HAW! That's a good one!

Do I think that everyone should have to do what I did to become a ham?
Nope, I can live with the memorized exams, the no code, etc. Like the
parable of the workers in the vineyard, I accept the rules have changed. At
no place in the parable does it tell the late arriving workers to ridicule
those that worked all day.

But is it fair that someone who works an hour should get the same pay
as someone who works ten hours doing the same thing?

Just as sure as these words are on your screen, you too will someday be an
old fart just like me. As you enter the dotage of your life, health concerns
and the condition of your aged friends, becomes more of a concern. We, like
you, used to talk about more contemporary subjects. Unlike a number of you,
we allowed the older folks to have their conversations without ridicule. It
is called respect, and is a two way street. Realize that when I was a newby,
I suffered the same as you at the hands of the old farts. They believed that
for you to enter their group, you should first show respect and learn to
snatch the pebble from their hand.

Well, I'm 52, and next month I will have 39 years as a radio amateur.

None of you started in your working life as the CEO of the company, yet many
of today's generation feel that a newly minted license conveys total
knowledge. What you have is a license to learn, take advantage of it and the
brotherhood will naturally follow.

If we all took the time to show each other respect, and be less quick to
judge, not only would ham radio be better, but our lives as well.

That I can agree with!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Not an appliance operator.

Old September 13th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

From: "Fred Hambrecht" on Tues, Sep 12 2006 4:55 pm

It's Not a Code, no code problem, it's a generational problem!

Why are you younger generation kids so retrograde compared
to my, OLDER generation, Freddie? :-)

Is your generation's generator turning over? Not much
coherent stuff being generated there...

In the past week, the articles that seemed to get the most play on ham sites
were the Southern Border Volunteers and the lack of brotherhood in ham
radio.

Oh, wow! South Carolina is in danger of being over-run
by Mexicans?!? Losing the "brotherhood?" Have you tried
recruiting a "sisterhood?" :-)

Freddie, I live in southern California. California borders
Mexico. Guess what, that border is only around 3 hours
drive from me. :-)

Ham radio went to hell when Dick Bash got involved with his published "cheat
sheets".

Really?!? I thought it "went" when you hams were allowed
to use VOICE! :-)

Or maybe when SPARK was outlawed?

This piece is from the prospective of a ham with over 50 years spewing RF
throughout the world. At 68 years of age, I look back at my start in ham
radio, appearing before a steely eyed FCC examiner in Norfolk Virginia. I
missed the distance for a Conditional license by about 11 miles. I had to
walk between school and home in the snow, uphill both ways.

You forgot BAREFOOT, Freddie. :-)

So, you "spewed RF throughout the world" over 50 years ago?

Unidirectional? I started in February 1953, HF beam patterns
pointed in many, specific directions...thanks to the United
States Army Signal Corps. :-)

Just as sure as these words are on your screen, you too will someday be an
old fart just like me.

Poor baby, born in 1939. Tsk, tsk, tsk. That makes me 6 or 7
years OLDER than you, Freddie.

As you enter the dotage of your life, health concerns
and the condition of your aged friends, becomes more of a concern. We, like
you, used to talk about more contemporary subjects.

WTF? Freddie boy, just WHO are you posting to? [see the bottom
since you didn't format this for proper quoting and replies]

Unlike a number of you,
we allowed the older folks to have their conversations without ridicule. It
is called respect, and is a two way street.

Freddie, you are demanding ONE WAY driving on a two-way street.
When did you last take a driving test? :-)

Realize that when I was a newby,
I suffered the same as you at the hands of the old farts.

Poor baby. Snif, snif.

They believed that
for you to enter their group, you should first show respect and learn to
snatch the pebble from their hand.

You mean DRINK in their hand, don't you? :-)

WHY did "your elders" have PEBBLES in their hand?

None of you started in your working life as the CEO of the company, yet many
of today's generation feel that a newly minted license conveys total
knowledge. What you have is a license to learn, take advantage of it and the
brotherhood will naturally follow.

Sigh...Freddie, you may be too far gone in your dotage? :-)

NOT in THIS group in this Din of Inequity, Freddie. Ain't
NO "respect" unless one is a devout morseman worshipping
at the Church of St. Hiram.

If we all took the time to show each other respect, and be less quick to
judge, not only would ham radio be better, but our lives as well.

Whoopee, a MAXIM! You ARE in the congregation of the Church
of St. Hiram!

I am supposed to "respect" you for your 'age?' :-)

So, does your quaint little pebble-filled maxim work the
OTHER way, Freddie?

When are YOU going to show respect for those OLDER than
YOU? :-)

[watch out, I have lots of 'pebbles'...:-) ]

wrote in message
roups.com...
Newsflash: ALL radio operators, code or no-code, are "appliance
operators" as you colloquially state. A radio is a means to
communicate. Knowing code just adds another way to use that radio.

Quite true, Opus! Thank you for pointing that out.

Let us hope that Blowcode sticks to his ARRL "Archie" comic
books while he mimes the "Wizard of Oz's" scarecrow wishing
he had a brain. :-(

Freddie, you replied to MY message. Try, please TRY to
understand who you are replying to. It doesn't hurt to
use acceptible formatting in Usenet style; makes it a
lot easier to follow for others.

Good night and good luck, Vaya con Dios,

Life Member, Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers,
a professional association, 397 thousand members worldwide.

Old September 13th 06, 09:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Good night and good luck, Vaya con Dios,

Life Member, Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers,
a professional association, 397 thousand members worldwide.

As before...
More Gas Baggery from The King of Flatulence.
Self-aggrandizement so noted...

Old September 13th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

My father always told me that when arguing with a jackass, make sure he
isn't doing the same thing.

In that vein, this conversation is ended Lennie...

ups.com...

Old September 29th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

" wrote in
oups.com:

So...has anyone ever saved a life or lives using "CW" on
the ham bands?

Well it certainly isn't going to happen if they don't know CW.

SC
Old September 29th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default So, Which reader has actually saved a life or lives using "CW" on Ham Bands?

" wrote in
oups.com:

Please, don't all jump in at once with all the unproven
bragging and dozens of local weekly newspaper clippings.

Let's hear it for the mode that saved the Titanic survivors
in 1912...

Hmmm...kind of silent in here... :-)

Geez, Len.

11 meters dead today, you gotta troll hams?

SC
Old September 29th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Slow Code wrote in news:SPYSg.4010$o71.3724
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

" wrote in
oups.com:

Please, don't all jump in at once with all the unproven
bragging and dozens of local weekly newspaper clippings.

Let's hear it for the mode that saved the Titanic survivors
in 1912...

Don't know about whether it saved any lives or not, but I once took a very
important NOTAM (Notice to Airman) on CW from a guy in the Aleutians in the
days following the 1964 quake and put it on the proper teletype circuits
for him.

His airport's altitude was changing so that charts and other info were
inaccurate.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667
Old September 29th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave Oldridge wrote:
Slow Code wrote in news:SPYSg.4010$o71.3724
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

" wrote in
oups.com:

Please, don't all jump in at once with all the unproven
bragging and dozens of local weekly newspaper clippings.

Let's hear it for the mode that saved the Titanic survivors
in 1912...

Don't know about whether it saved any lives or not, but I once took a very
important NOTAM (Notice to Airman) on CW from a guy in the Aleutians in the
days following the 1964 quake and put it on the proper teletype circuits
for him.

His airport's altitude was changing so that charts and other info were
inaccurate.

Dave, that sounds very suspicious considering my ground school
instructor's 1962 display of a then-old Santa Barbara, CA,
half-hour TTY Wx report (then required by Commerce Dept.).
SBA (ID of Santa Barbara), like all other weather stations at
airports, were required to post their local Wx and airport
conditions every half hour. SBA is on the Pacific coast and
subject to rapid variations of weather. If weather changes more
rapidly than that, weather stations were required to post extra
in-between-scheduled-times reports.

One day, after having fog entering and leaving SBA often, the
operator of the TTY sent: "THE FOG SHE COMES IN THE FOG
SHE GOES OUT." :-)

The ground school class at VNY was presented with a
glassine-protected TTY copy of the Wx message that must
have been old at that time (the cheap TTY paper was
already turning yellow). Got a good laugh from the class.

In 1964 (which is 42 years ago), the weather stations had their
own network over leased telephone lines. At least in the 48
contiguous states. Whether or not Alaska was tied in with
manual telegraphy (radio or wirelines) I can't confirm...nor do I
think it important since I know it was NOT via amateur bands.

NOTAMs take many shapes but back 40+ years ago, the
FAA handled them and saw to their distribution at airports.
Most were press-printed but some current ones were sent
by TTY. That was in times before NOAA.

Old September 30th 06, 01:36 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

" wrote in
ups.com:

Dave Oldridge wrote:
[...]

Lenny, just to help you feel better about morse code, if I ever hear you
are dying and in need of help, I will use CW to get you help. Then you'll
know before you die a ham used morse code to save a life and you can rest
in peace over CW.

SC