Old October 31st 07, 12:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Yaesu FRG-7 main dial lamp?

Does anyone know the specs for a replacement of the pilot lamps
behind the main tuning dial?

The original Yaesu part number was: BQ154-33811A.

One source said is was 12V. 100ma. Is this correct?

Both of mine burned out as I flicked the `light' switch
off and on.

The lamps are those `grain of wheat' types . . .

Any help or suggestions on replacement or a source would be
appreciated.

Bill, KC0IZI
Old October 31st 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Hi Bill:

Whenever possible, I replace those grain of wheat bulbs with leds. You will
need a current limiting resistor. The led has a limited pattern of light,
so it will not work if you need light from the side of the bulb. Most of
the time, the led will work fine - and be permanent.

You can choose white or various colored ones. In some radios, the reduction
in battery current is substantial.

Colin K7FM

Old October 31st 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
Hi Bill:

Whenever possible, I replace those grain of wheat bulbs with leds. You
will need a current limiting resistor. The led has a limited pattern of
light, so it will not work if you need light from the side of the bulb.
Most of the time, the led will work fine - and be permanent.

You can choose white or various colored ones. In some radios, the
reduction in battery current is substantial.

Colin K7FM

I had a CB come in once which was new - but blew bulbs out like once a week.
The tech who worked on it - never tried to remedy the problem aside from
replace bulbs - twice - maybe 3 times. All seemed ok - aside from the bulbs
being eaten alive. I placed a small resistor in line - no more blown bulbs.

Old November 1st 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Bryan wrote:

Hobby shops are good places to shop for grain of wheat lamps (typically
available in 6V and 12V types). Two issues with using 12V lamps:
a) your AC power supply or automotive charging system supplies 13.8V but the
lamp is rated for only 12V... running current will be high (lifetime will be

Mouser has a pretty good assortment, and unlike the hobby shop, you can find
the actual specs for voltage, CP, and hours life.

-Chuck
Old November 1st 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Bill KC0IZI wrote:

Does anyone know the specs for a replacement of the pilot lamps
behind the main tuning dial?

The original Yaesu part number was: BQ154-33811A.
One source said is was 12V. 100ma. Is this correct?
Both of mine burned out as I flicked the `light' switch
off and on.
The lamps are those `grain of wheat' types . . .
Any help or suggestions on replacement or a source would be
appreciated.

Bill, KC0IZI

Hi Bill,

Hobby shops are good places to shop for grain of wheat lamps (typically
available in 6V and 12V types). Two issues with using 12V lamps:
a) your AC power supply or automotive charging system supplies 13.8V but the
lamp is rated for only 12V... running current will be high (lifetime will be
significantly shortened).
b) the inrush current (often several times the running current) is quite
high, even if you regulate the voltage. The lifetime is again shortened.
You can use a *current* regulator, set to some value less than the lamp's
current at its design voltage. For currents less than 100mA, the LM317L
would be an excellent choice and is super easy to implement.

Colin (K7FM) suggested replacing the incandescent lamps with LEDs but
mentioned the dispersion angle would be very narrow (creating a spot of
light). A friend who runs a service shop for commercial sound gear tipped
me off... grind/file/sand the lens of the LED. The LED will now have a very
wide dispersion angle.

73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Old November 1st 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wrote in message

Does anyone know the specs for a replacement of the pilot lamps
behind the main tuning dial?

The original Yaesu part number was: BQ154-33811A.
One source said is was 12V. 100ma. Is this correct?

Both of mine burned out as I flicked the `light' switch
off and on.
The lamps are those `grain of wheat' types . . .

Any help or suggestions on replacement or a source would be
appreciated.

Bill, KC0IZI

I probably have some in the parts box. Have you looked at these pages?

Manual at FoxTango
http://foxtango.org/frg7/foxtangofrg7.htm

KenWlaker's FRG-7 Information page
http://www.crocuta.com/FRG7/index.html

Yahoo FRG-7 User's Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FRG-7/

FRG-7 User's Notice Board
http://p206.ezboard.com/The-Yaesu-FR...enersforumfrm1

Old November 4th 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Bryan wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote:
Bryan wrote:

Hobby shops are good places to shop for grain of wheat lamps (typically
available in 6V and 12V types). Two issues with using 12V lamps:
a) your AC power supply or automotive charging system supplies 13.8V but

the
lamp is rated for only 12V... running current will be high (lifetime

will be
Mouser has a pretty good assortment, and unlike the hobby shop, you can

find
the actual specs for voltage, CP, and hours life.

-Chuck

Gee... the last batch of 10 ($10 US/pkg) I bought from the local hobby
emporium were marked:

Mfr: Miniatronics Corp
PN: 18-028-10
Voltage: 14V
Current: 80mA
Dia: 5.5mm
Average Life: 10,000 hours
Website: http://www.miniatronics.com/

That's great! I am more used to them being marked something "useful"
like: locomotive lamp, or street lamp, 12V...

Mouser sells that same lamp (by Chicago Miniature Lamps) for $0.43 each
in a pack of 10. They have no minimum order.

-Chuck
Old November 4th 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Chuck Harris wrote:
Bryan wrote:

[...]

The light output wasn't listed but for the price/availability vs the
non-critical application, it's not much of a gamble. They have lotsa other
stuff as well, and have a dealer locator on their website. Again, if using
incandescent lamps, limiting the inrush current will maximize the life of
the lamp. I used an LM317L + one resistor to do that.

Bryan

Old November 4th 07, 09:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Chuck Harris wrote
Bryan wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote:
Bryan wrote:

[...]

Cool. Because of pricing, I've found myself buying from Mouser (and even
Allied) more often and Digi-Key less often. For dial backlights, I think
I'll give the white LED another try, the next time around. I want to try a
friend's suggestion to file/grind off the lens in order to increase the
dispersion angle.
Bryan WA7PRC

Old November 4th 07, 12:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Bryan wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote

Mouser sells that same lamp (by Chicago Miniature Lamps) for $0.43 each
in a pack of 10. They have no minimum order.

-Chuck

Cool. Because of pricing, I've found myself buying from Mouser (and even
Allied) more often and Digi-Key less often. For dial backlights, I think
I'll give the white LED another try, the next time around. I want to try a
friend's suggestion to file/grind off the lens in order to increase the
dispersion angle.
Bryan WA7PRC

I've done that as well. In some cases where I can, I will string 3 or 4 LED's
in series and use them to light up the dial.

White LED's are funny devices. As I understand things, they are actually
blue LED's with a phosphorescent component added to the plastic of the package.
The phosphor is what makes them radiate white. I have a suspicion that filing
them may damage the color. Old fashioned GaAs LED's dispersion can readily
be improved by filing the end of the lens.

-Chuck