Old December 6th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Kudos to HAMS...

They are often overlooked and ignored - even scoffed at by some in these
"modern times" of cell phones, etc. ---
but then along comes mother nature - to remind one and all who's boss -
and guess who the heroes are?

http://www.kptv.com/weatheralert/14776224/detail.html

Kudos to all involved!
--
randy guttery
Old December 6th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Randy or Sherry Guttery wrote:

but then along comes mother nature - to remind one and all who's boss -
and guess who the heroes are?

Not roast beef on rye? :-)

http://www.kptv.com/weatheralert/14776224/detail.html

Kudos to all involved!

But hams need antennas to make it happen. And we need news stories like
these to show to home owner association and towns as to why we should be
allowed to have antennas.
Old December 6th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono, rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Dec 6, 3:12 pm, robert casey wrote:
Randy or Sherry Guttery wrote:

but then along comes mother nature - to remind one and all who's boss -
and guess who the heroes are?

Not roast beef on rye? :-)

http://www.kptv.com/weatheralert/14776224/detail.html

Kudos to all involved!

But hams need antennas to make it happen. And we need news stories like
these to show to home owner association and towns as to why we should be
allowed to have antennas.

I sit as chair on our Township Board of Historical and Architectural
Review. We make deliberate and specific exceptions for Ham antenna vs.
satellite dishes and similar. So, your hopes are not altogether in
vain. All we ask is that the antenna be installed with as little
impact on the significant structure as possible. Not "NO" impact, not
"Invisible", just minimum practical impact. In my years on the board,
it has come up twice - in both cases, the exception was granted and
then further granted by Zoning and Planning (height and setback
restrictions). The two are still up today.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Old December 6th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"robert casey" wrote in message
Randy or Sherry Guttery wrote:

but then along comes mother nature - to remind one and all who's boss -
and guess who the heroes are?

Not roast beef on rye? :-)

http://www.kptv.com/weatheralert/14776224/detail.html

Kudos to all involved!

But hams need antennas to make it happen. And we need news stories like
these to show to home owner association and towns as to why we should be
allowed to have antennas.

Indeed tis true but isn't it ironic that nearly everyone had antennas on the
roof top for TV and FM back 30+ years ago! No one complained.

And today in Silicon Valley ($800,000+ homes), many homes still have
antennas up on the roof even though they are on cable or dish TV. No one
complains, and few HOA's.

Lamont Lamenting

Old December 7th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"The Shadow" wrote in message

"robert casey" wrote in message
Randy or Sherry Guttery wrote:

but then along comes mother nature - to remind one and all who's boss -
and guess who the heroes are?

Not roast beef on rye? :-)

http://www.kptv.com/weatheralert/14776224/detail.html

Kudos to all involved!

But hams need antennas to make it happen. And we need news stories like
these to show to home owner association and towns as to why we should be
allowed to have antennas.

Indeed tis true but isn't it ironic that nearly everyone had antennas on
the roof top for TV and FM back 30+ years ago! No one complained.

And today in Silicon Valley ($800,000+ homes), many homes still have
antennas up on the roof even though they are on cable or dish TV. No one
complains, and few HOA's.

Lamont Lamenting

You're right - NO ONE complained of antennas before - why now?

I am on council here - and an issue came up regarding Antennas and towers.
Being a "ham" myself - was able to thwart any issues there. When "Zoning"
came in - I questioned "their" rules on Towers and Antennas. Theirs are
limited to "Commercial" towers - with regard to fencing, posting of signage,
etc.

Some people in some areas are just too damned particular.

Lou

Old December 7th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

radiosrfun wrote:

You're right - NO ONE complained of antennas before - why now?

I am on council here - and an issue came up regarding Antennas and towers.
Being a "ham" myself - was able to thwart any issues there. When "Zoning"
came in - I questioned "their" rules on Towers and Antennas. Theirs are
limited to "Commercial" towers - with regard to fencing, posting of signage,
etc.

Some people in some areas are just too damned particular.

Lou

By Federal law, TV and radio receiving antennas, dishes, and so forth,
for household (non-commercial) use, are exempt from local restrictions
(including any and all HOA covenants). I don't know if this exemption
extends to ham radio antennas or not, but I would think that a pretty
good case could be made.

Bill
Old December 7th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Bill Jeffrey wrote:

By Federal law, TV and radio receiving antennas, dishes, and so forth,
for household (non-commercial) use, are exempt from local restrictions
(including any and all HOA covenants). I don't know if this exemption
extends to ham radio antennas or not, but I would think that a pretty
good case could be made.

Bill

I'd sure like to see some references on that one!

I have lived in several communities that specifically forbade outside
antennas of any kind.... including TV.

For instance whenever I have lived in a townhouse, I owned the inside
of the house up to the common walls, but the community owned everything
outside of the house. It would be hard to imagine how I would be
allowed, by Federal exemption, to deface someone else's property so that
I may put up an antenna.

-Chuck
Old December 7th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Jeffrey D Angus wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote:
I have lived in several communities that specifically forbade outside
antennas of any kind.... including TV.

And it's getting more restrictive every day. Even so called older
neighborhoods are getting restrictions put in by the local city
councils in an effort to "make them look nicer".

These are the same fools that want streaming video on their cell
phones, but insist on no cell towers in their neighborhood.

On antenna towers for amateur radio use. I have no issues with
a tower as long as it meets certain engineering standards.

What got folks all riled up out my way, is a dentist/ham put
up four, 400 foot, towers on some property owned by one of his
kids. Legally he was in the clear, but he ****ed off all of
his neighbors, ... rich horsey country neighbors... and they
steamrolled a bunch of restrictive ordinances through the
county code to make sure something like that could not happen
again.

So thanks to his having the nicest contest station in the county,
nobody else can put up towers more than 20 feet higher than their
houses.

-Chuck

Kudos to me! Lance Adair CB 0 June 18th 07 08:49 PM
Federal Government Kudos for MARS and Amateur Radio K4YZ Policy 14 February 23rd 06 05:28 PM
Kudos to Fox News yojimbo Shortwave 32 October 4th 04 04:19 PM
Kudos to Curmudgion for muzzling Steve Lare {Poodle Boy} Nemo Shortwave 10 July 2nd 04 02:54 PM