Old December 30th 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default B&K 747 for testing 4-pin tubes?

Hello all,

I have a freshly repaired and calibrated B&K 747 and have
begun finally testing and cataloging my vast tube collection.

My question: surely someone sometime has figured out how
to wire a 4-pin socket to 8-pin plug for testing all the old
triodes - 45, 26, 01, and all the rest.

Anyone have any info on this, maybe with a wiring diagram
for the adapter and 747 settings for some of the more common
types? I'm certain ANY tester could be made to do this, given
it has the right voltages available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave WB7AWK

Old December 30th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Dave wrote:

I have a freshly repaired and calibrated B&K 747 and have
begun finally testing and cataloging my vast tube collection.

My question: surely someone sometime has figured out how
to wire a 4-pin socket to 8-pin plug for testing all the old
triodes - 45, 26, 01, and all the rest.

Just wire it up. It doesn't matter what the pinout is, as long as you
set the switches so that the right pins on the octal socket are connected
to the right pins on the tube.

Anyone have any info on this, maybe with a wiring diagram
for the adapter and 747 settings for some of the more common
types? I'm certain ANY tester could be made to do this, given
it has the right voltages available.

Well, start with say a 6SN7. The filament voltage is 6V, the
transconductance should be around 3,000 on each side.

Pins 7 and 8 go do the heater, 6 to cathode 1, 5 to plate 1, 4 to
grid one. Make your adaptor up to go to the heater, plate, and grid.

NOW, start with the settings used for element 1 of the 6SN7, but
change the cathode switch so that the cathode connection is sharing
the pin with the grid connection. Set the filament voltage appropriately.
Keep the same bias voltage, which I think should be in the ballpark
for those tubes.

Then get some good tubes with known transconductance, put them on the
tester, and adjust the load until the meter reads properly.

Voila! Mark down the settings. You now have a way to test 4-pin tubes.
--scott

INFO: Testing 3B28 tubes Bob Rinaldi Boatanchors 3 September 15th 05 08:18 PM
WMR testing Mike Terry Shortwave 0 May 18th 04 09:42 PM
Testing ceramic tubes Bob P Homebrew 4 February 5th 04 01:43 AM
Testing ceramic tubes Bob P Boatanchors 1 February 4th 04 01:06 AM
Testing tubes without a tube tester??? Ray D. O'Mann Shortwave 11 January 25th 04 01:59 PM